Newbie Post! Big subwoofer + turntable?

Brendan
Unregistered guest
So, I have a big sub woofer. I have also wanted to get into vinyl and turntables because I have become something of an audiophile.

I have an Adcom 100x2 powering two Polk Audio LS70 tower speakers. The preamp is also an Adcom unit. GREAT suonding stuff. I needed some more low end so i built a sonotube subwoofer. It clocks in at about 6 cubic feet with a 6 inch port that is 18 inches long. It will hit 15 hz with its Adire Audio Shiva 12" woofer at a reasonable volume. this thing REALLY shakes.

My big question is, will my huge woofer affect my ability to listen to records? will its vibrations (which could be heard/felt 3 floors away in my concrete dorm in College) really screw up phono-listening?

Should i even bother?
Thanks a bunch guys!

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Of course it will, that what you wanted when you built it. Shake the world. You are unlikely to find an isolation system that will not be affected by the low frequency feedback. If you go the phono route, suspend your table on wires and you will get the best sound possible with your subwoofer.

Unregistered guest
Brendan, I agree with J.Vigne and might also add when you become a true audiophile, you'll get rid of that "huge subwoofer" Not only is it your tonearm/cartridge's worst enemy, but it's inaccurate musically, and slow. Nothing against subs, when done right. It's the done right part thats so hard to come by.

J. Vigne
Unregistered guest
Brendan, go to "definitions and descriptions" inder "speakers" and see my suggestons for isolating a turntable. With your sub use my suggestion above and start from isolating the table once you have a platform.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us