Best Receiver for $600 or less

Unregistered guest
i have a home theatre in a box system. and i would like to get into seperates. i would like good quality receiver that has inputs for dvd audio/sacd, dts es, neo:6, dolby digital ex, all that. and i will be hooking up a project 1.2 turntable to this, so preferably a receiver with phono input. and am looking at paradigm speakers ex. paradigm 11: fronts, adp-370:centre, not sure yet:rears and i already own a paradigm pdr-10 sub.

i've looked at denon avr-1804, hk avr-230, yamaha rx-v1400 so far
thanks
mike

Username: Nealm

Post Number: 9
for 600 you could do better in my opinion

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 444
The Marantz 5400 is the one in this price range I would look at first. List is $599. Very good sonics and lots of power for the money.

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 445
On second thought since you are seton the Paradigm's I would say the Yamaha 1400 would be a good match. I would not spend the extra money on the 11's but would get the 7's which to me have always been the best buy in that series. Try the mini-monitor for surrounds. The NAD 743 would also be an even better unit sonically but I don't know if you can find one under $600. The 1400 and 2400 are much better than previous Yamaha's but still thin sounding which matches well with the warmness of the Paradigm's.

Unregistered guest
thanks for the replies everyone. i am just getting into home theatre thing. there are a lot of options out there. i live in canada so one of the reasons for me going for paradigms is i can get a pretty good deal on them since they are made in canada. but i am open to other options. my budget is about $4000CDN which equates to about $3000US.

with that amount i want
receiver
dvd/dvd-a/sacd player
5.1 speaker set up
and turntable.

thanks again
mike

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 287
Stick with the Paradigms, they should be fine. As for the receiver I'd recommend the NAD T743, it should match well with those speakers, and it's also one of the best sounding receivers on it's price range.

For the player check models from Pioneer, Sony and Denon.

minimike
Unregistered guest
thanks for the replies. another thing to add is this will be for probably 60% music 40% movies. so very musical sound is important. i am interested in the NAD T743, yamaha rx-v1400 and i just found out about the onkyo tx-sr801. does anyone know how that would match up with the paradigms? the net-tune feature is really interesting to me.

thanks again
mike

Bronze Member
Username: Rh1

Post Number: 49
I am currently doing an in home demo on the Onkyo Sr701, I just returned the Pioneer 914k. I can honestly say that I liked the Pioneer better for both music and dvd's. I have Infinity Minuette speakers currently. You should also check out the Pioneer 1014k which is the replacement for the 914k and will be available in 7-04, I think this is a great sounding receiver. You can also find great deals on refurbished Pioneers at ecost.com, even the Elite models are within you price range if you go this way.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us