Problems with yamaha receiver and dvds

Megan
Unregistered guest
I'm not good with this sound stuff so youre gonna have to bear with me. I really need some help. I have a yamaha stereo receiver that is ancient now. It's a rx-v690 and says cinema dsp and dolby surround pro-logic on it. The problem is whenever I go to play a dvd in my JVC dvd player that is dolby digital and dts, no sound comes out for most dvds.

Some dvds that have an extra setting I can get the sound to work, however. For example, dvds with dolby digital 5.1 surround sound do not work but ones with dolby 2.0 surround do.

Is this just a simple case of outdated equipment? Do I just need to buy a new receiver? If so, any you recommend? Thanks so much! Fixing this kinda stuff was always my dad's thing and not I'm left to do it.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 282
What's the exact type of your DVD-player and how did you connect it to the receiver?

Megan
Unregistered guest
The dvd player is a JVC XV-FA90 dvd audio/dvd video/cd player. It holds like 6 discs. In terms of its connection to the receiver, all I can tell you is that there is a plethora of wires lol.

I do believe that it is connected to two large speakers by the tv and then speakers in the ceiling. But that's all I know. I'm not sure if your going to be able to help me with the little info I know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 283
OK, it seems that your player can decode Dolby Digital and DTS, so you should be fine with that. No need to buy anything new. Your receiver is actually a five channel pro-logic unit not just a stereo apparatus.

I'll need some more info though. Can you find 6 RCA (something like this: http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuimages/large/C184-03171.jpg ) cables going from the player to the receiver, they could be called "5.1 analog out" and "5.1 direct input" or something like that? If it's a no then check if there are just two RCA cables going from the player to the receiver (could be an input called "CD" or "VCR" or something like that)?

Megan
Unregistered guest
Okay i just checked and there are no 6 RCA cables going from the player to the receiver. However, there are 2 RCAs from the receiver to the tv i believe. It appears that there are no wires connecting the receiver and the dvd player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
Now I'm so confused. How can you have any kind of sound if there is no cables between the receiver and the DVD-player.

Ok, let's see where your speakers are connected. You say there are two large speakers by the tv and two in the ceiling (in-'wall' maybe?). Where does the wires go from the speakers? Hopefully to the receiver. If that's the case, you should unplug the 2 RCAs wich are going to the tv and plug then to one of the receivers inputs, for ex. VCR1 or VCR2.

Is this the back panel of your DVD-player: http://images.andale.com/f2/105/126/7704212/1086288504180_DSC00161.JPG ?
If yes, you should have the two RCA-cables plugged to the front right and left outputs.

Also you should check from your DVD-players setup menu (see manual if cant get there) that you have selected 2-speaker system instead of multichannel 5.1.

By doing this you should get 2-channel sound out of any DVDs. If you want multichannel you must buy a new receiver with capability to decode digital DD or DTS stream, or with an 5.1 direct-input.

Megan
Unregistered guest
That is the back panel of my dvd player and there are 2 cables plugged in the right spots but they are navy blue lol. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Anyway, I still don't believe that the speakers are connected to the receiver. However, I changed the dvd setup to 2 speaker and I can finally here the people speaking, not just the background like before. So I think I'm okay now but I take it that I've lost the surround sound feature correct? (unless I want to buy a new receiver?)

Thanks so much for your help! You're awesome. Now I don't have to keep on changing rooms so I can actually watch some of my movies.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
No problem. I still dont get the point in having a receiver but no speakers connected to it. You should change this because if I understand correctly you have your speakers driven by the amp of the TV and that is so bad for the sound. What you should do is to plug your speakers to the receivers binding post wich are labelled "A".

"In terms of its connection to the receiver, all I can tell you is that there is a plethora of wires lol."

This worries me a bit because if there were no cables coming from the player to the receiver and no cables going from the receiver to the speakers, then what the (%¤"! do you have in there :-) ?

True surround sound is an other story and that would require a new receiver and probably more speakers (in addition to the main speakers you need a center channel and left and right surround (maybe those placed in the ceiling are for this purpose)).

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 763
Landroval and Megan

Try this
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/02RX-V69.PDF

read it thoroughly together with the DVD manual.
It will clear up a lot of confusion. You probably lost yours if it is about 5 years old.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
Yeah, I already downloaded that to see what I'm dealing with.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us