Nakamichi RE-3 specs?

Username: Plenescence

Post Number: 1
I've been enjoying a Nakamichi RE-3 stereo receiver for the past few years. It was bought for a few pennies in a second-hand store, so I never had a manual and I've never even found the specs for it online.

It's set up with a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 3 speakers in my living room, which is only about 3 m (10 ft) deep. I'm listening to avant-garde rock/jazz/electronic music (think Bill Laswell). The speakers are getting pretty knackered, and I'm thinking about upgrading by spending somewhere in the range of 500 CAD + stands + connectors. A vague starting point for auditions might be a pair of PSB Image B25s.

Does anyone have specs or experience of the Nakamichi RE-3? Does anyone have an opinion on the kind of speakers that might appropriately match it?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13498

The Nakamichi is still a receiver. Though it claimed high end status - by claiming to be "based" on Nelson Pass's "Stasis" circuitry - it remained a receiver. With few exceptions I would always suggest anyone using a receiver should pair it with sensible speakers that have a high nominal impedance (no four Ohm dips), a relatively simple crossover and an efficiency/sensitivity spec above 85-87dB depending on how loud you listen to music. This generally leaves out numerous popular speakers such as B&W.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us