NAD 773 with low level radio sound on the surround channels

Username: Dary

Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 1
I recently bought a NAD T773. Upon installation I noticed that even with no input, a low level radio sound can be heard only through the surround channels (with no input, nothing never comes out of the center and front channels). The sound seems to be a mix of several radio stations. Also, the radio sound is only present when any analog source is seleted (including external 7.1). When a digital input or Stereo surround mode is selected, the radio sound is not heard. The radio sound can be heard 10 feet away from the speakers and does not change with volume or remote surrond/center/sub adjustments. The equipment is grounded and the AM antenna is not connected. Otherwise, the receiver seems to be working fine.
I live in Brazil and would like to confirm if the equipment is defective or how to correct the problem.
On other thread I saw receiver software version mentioned. How can I check that? Is there any update?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 350
Dary,

Check out this thread. Might be the same thing as you are experiencing.
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/46757.html

Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 2
Johnny,
Thanks a lot. It seems to be the answer. I'll add ferrite cores to the cables to try solving the problem and post my findings. Regards.

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 3
I'm back to say that a ferrite core on the subwoofer cable (as close as possible to the receiver) SOLVED the problem completely.
My inexperience almost made me blame an otherwise excellent equipment.
I owned a Denon 3803 before and, in I my opinion, there is no way the Denon can be compared to the 773 (of course there is a large price gap).
One point: this board offers better support for NAD products. I e-mailed NAD and didn't get any answer up to now!

Silver Member
Username: Johnny

Missouri

Post Number: 353
Dary,

Congratulations on getting your problem fixed. Seeing this and other stories like it make me wonder how many of these "NAD Problems" could be solved through something simple like your problem was. Not to take away from those who have had legitimate and obviously frustrating problems with their NAD units, but like I said, it makes me wonder. How many of those who have returned three and four NAD units might have had their problems solved the first time around by doing something simple like getting a cheap ferrite choke?

Just thinking out loud....

Sao Paulo Brazil

Post Number: 4
Hi Johnny,

Thanks! I fully agree with your comments.

From my short experience only with Denon and NAD, I'll add that NAD faults are much related to poor support and documentation:
1) I e-mailed NAD about my problem 5 days ago and got no answer up to now;
2) The 773 manual is poor when compared to Denon manual. It lacks detail and information about some menu options and remote control buttons.

NAD executives should pay attention to this board before it's too late...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us