Mirage OMNISAT or OMNISAT Micro vs. Paradigm Cinema 90s vs. ?

Anonymous
I am trying to decide between the speakers mentioned to start up a new wall-mountable (due to having no available, "aesthetically pleasing" floor space) small (or mini) 5.1 or 6.1 HT (and music) speaker system. I'm planning to use a SVS sub. Any ideas would be appreciated, especially concerning the "omni-directional" Mirage speakers. By the way, the room that the speakers will be used in is large - 20' x 26' X 18' (w x d x h) and has tile floors. I need to make a decision this week, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G-Man
Omni-directional speakers are very different from directional speakers. You have to listen to both speakers to make a decision. I prefer directional speakers in a surround format, but there is nothing wrong with omni's--you just have to like their particular presentation. Ohm has made omnidirectionals for years and they are quite good---but they definitely sound different from similarly priced directional or even bipolar speakers. It is all a matter of personal taste.

Omni's are far more difficult to set up properly, as they radiate a soundfield in 360 degrees. So ideally they should be placed rather far from all walls. For most people this isn't practical. However, for others, they don't mind having them close to walls.

Before purchasing omni's I would definitely get loaners of them and set them up before buying them.

Anonymous
Thanks, G-Man! I really appreciate your comments. Would anyone else care to comment? I'm driving to Dallas, TX to do a final "listening test drive" on Thursday or Friday before dropping the cash. I was told today to also listen to Definitive Technology's Pro 80s and 100s. Help folks! Thanks in advance! :)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us