Upgrading setup...suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 552
Thanks to you guys I have enjoyed my first setup of Athena AS-F2s and a Panny XR-55 for almost two years now. I am anxious to give another setup a try and was wondering what the new "bang for the buck" equipment was, since I see no recommendations for my equipment any more on this forum.

I have been looking into Monitor Audio RS6 speakers but am open for any suggestions. Also, I am clueless as to receivers so any suggestions there are greatly appreciated.

I listen mostly to jazz, trance, and new age and have a fairly large living room.

I would say $2000 is my budget for the speaker/amp combo.

Also, I would be willing to just upgrade the receiver if the marginal benefit of upgrading my Athenas would be minimal.

Thanks everyone.

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 29
stick with the RS6, also drop the reciever idea, i was looking into the RS6 and asked some of the sames questions too

take a look at these...

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/549555.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/548642.html

like the experts said, stay away from any big box receiver, i'd look into a Cambridge 540 v2, or even possibly a used bryston, if you can get you hands on it, people like NAD, its all about your opinion and your ears too, go out an listen if you can

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2365
Good advice Chris.

Is this for music, or for HT and watching TV as well? If it's only for music I'd look at getting a half decent 2 channel receiver or integrated. If you want to do music and HT, the CA 540R is a fairly musical A/V receiver (if there is such a thing). I've used mine to drive my RS6's and I was more than happy with the sound.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3233
Something tells me the XR-55 and MAs together won't sound very good at all. The XR-55 is bright and harsh in the highs. The Athenas do a good job of smoothing the XR-55 over. The MAs are unforgiving of this.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2368
That's very true Stu. I have no idea what the XR-55 sounds like, but if it's bright, the MA's are not the speaker to pair with it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 553
thanks for the help.
Setup would be 70% music, 30% movies.
I have two local shops to choose from if I want to listen to anything, only problem is Vanns carries mostly Denon/Pioneer Elite and Thirsty Ear carries stuff my budget cannot touch (bryston, levinson, krell). Ill take a look at the CA.

Any others? thanks again

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2369
Thirsty Ear? LOL... I like that.

I would look at the usual mid-fi suspects. CA (as mentioned), Rotel and NAD. Check out Spearit sound. I've ordered from them before - good customer service.

http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9306
I listened to the Panny with PSB, Jamo and Cabasse speakers back when Eddy was peddling it and thought it was awful. Lot's of other folks disagree...

For the MA's I would recommend nothing less than a midrange NAD integrated. Arcam or Simaudio might also be nice options...worth a look anyway.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2370
Oh yeah - with the MA's, stay away from Rotel.

Not good.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 30
I second the spearit sound. They had great advice and good customer service when I went into the store here in Boston.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2371
What's the store like Chris? I've only ever "visited" them online. Lots of neat stuff on display?

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 31
Its pretty neat, they have four show rooms. The first in front has all the B&W 7 series gear, and some of the Paradigm studio gear, paired with some mid level amps. The room I spent the most time in was, their quote "budget" room were your 6 series and cm series from B&W, also paradigm. What was neat was the amp and integrate rack they had in that room. All the items were on a computer selector, so you picked the speakers, they hooked them up to the mains and then you could select any amp, and cd player you choose, and switch back and for. I briefly spend time in the what they called the room, where the main features were the Krell LAT-1000's each attached to an evolution mono block. The second feature was the B&W 800D's hooked up to maybe an esoteric amp, not sure. The Krell set up was on, it was incredibly clear, especially in the mid range. They were playing what i think was a norah jones track. I didn't have a good chance to listen, as my girlfriend saw me salivating and proceeded to say, "it sounds the same as my iHome." We promptly left, i will have to go back with some reference cd's and play.

Also, next stop, ensemble home theater sound in Nashua, anyone been there? They have MA's. I'm still looking a pair of the 6's. David have you had a chance to put your 6's with you new Mac? Just wondering how it would sound, I was contemplating buying an old 6200 or 6100.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2372
That sounds awesome Chris. I'd love to have a go at that computer selector. Sounds like fun.

I haven't tried the MA's with the Mac yet. It's on my list of things to do for sure. I tried them on my 2 channel system when it was all Bryston, and I found the Totems just a little bit more engaging. It's time to give them a chance with the Mac.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 32
okay sounds good, I'd like to hear your impressions

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2374
Might even do it tonight Chris, if I can gather up the required energy and motivation.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
Are there any other competitor speakers to the MA RS-6 in the sub$1000 range that I should look at?

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 555
So what are the bennies of a Cambridge 540R over a mid-level HK or Marantz? The reason I ask is that I can listen to Marantz where I live but have no access to Cambridge.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 33
I have a mid-range HK (445). And I like it for HT. For music and stereo it is not very engaging. Kinda a bland sound. The "bennies" if you are looking at the 540r is people have said that it is more musical. It all depends on what application you are looking for. If you are looking for strict music, then consider the 540 v3 integrated. I don't have much experience with Marantz, people hear say that it is a warmer sounding piece of equipment.

David- any thoughts on the McIntosh and MA's. Curiosity has the best of me.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2454
Haven't had a chance to drag the MA's down to my listening room yet Chris. I'd like to say that I'll do it this weekend, but I know I won't have time. I'd also like to bring my Ascend Sierra's down there and give those a go too.

Silver Member

Post Number: 556
David - The local Vanns is having a clearance sale right now, and they have a few McIntosh pieces on discount. They are still over my budget but I would like to hear your input when you get a chance to hook yours up. I just might have to splurge depending on your opinion. thanks

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2458
Cool man. I'll let you know db-bass.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1991
db-bass there are more options in the $1000 class but the RS6's are tough to beat for a floorstander at this price but there are a few that i feel are as good or better ,my recomendations if you want a Floorstander other than the RS6's I would say the Wharfedale Evo2 20,DCM TFE-300,Ohm Micro Talls,Gini Systems ls3/5a,with bass stands,used Totem Arro's and used Quad 22L2 &21L2,and on the cheap any of the Wharfedale Diamond 9 series floorstanders and Swan Diva 4.2's and Diva 6.1's and the Infinity Classia C336.
Standmountes would be the Wharfedale Evo2 8 Evo2 10,Diamond 9.1 & 9.2.Swan M1,Swan 2.1SE,B&W CM1,Era Design D5,ACI Emrald XL,Odyssey Epiphony MKII,Quad 11L2 & 12L2,used Totem Model 1 Signitures,Green Mountain Europha,just to name a few their are plenty of options,the Speaker I would stretch to is the Paradigm Signature S1v2,its a amazing speaker a life time speaker if you will a pair of used Usher Be-718 would also be a incredable buy,good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2435
mMMMmMmmMMMMmmMMmMMMmm Paradigm Signature S1's mmMMmmmm.

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1999
Yes,Nick I'd have to say the same thing for the Evo2 8 and Swan M1 to amazing at what these 2 speakers can do for their low street prices and their amazing build quality.With the prices of Standmounters they are the ticket these days,they give you everything you need and then some and 2 things a floorstander cant approach,Coheracy and less cabinet resonances,under $5k I would'nt buy anything but a Standmounter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us