Naim setup

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffbucks

Post Number: 20
The naim dealer told me that the first setup of the naim equipment is a little bit unusual and better be done by a dealer, i also raed in "what hifi" it needs a bit of tweakery and:

"And now for the non-science bit. There's a good deal of witchcraf* involved in getting this system working at its best, such as plugging and unplugging all the mains sockets 20 or so times, turning any switches on the mains sockets on and off repeatedly, and ensuring the Burndy main connector between power supply and preamp is de-stressed by laying it out flat and then gently forming it to the shape required before connecting it" !!!!!
http://whathifi.com/Review/Naim-NAP250/

What is it about? is that right? why?since I have to do it myself and going to by it from a dealer so far from my town.
Tnx

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2360
That sounds kinda weird.

So the dealer has to come over to your house, plug/unplug it 20x and turn it on/off 20x before you can use it?

Interesting.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3228
A bunch of BS is what its all about. Naim uses different connectors than most gear. They also have outboard power supplies, active cross overs, and so on. Not to mention proper speaker placement. Setting up systems like that can get pretty complicated, and Naim wants dealers to make sure everything is set up the proper way so the system will work and sound as intended. Setting up a Nait 5i isn't anything special. Just connect stuff the way the dealer tells you.

I believe Naim requires dealers to install their stuff. My local dealer does. It has nothing to do with voodoo science at all. I'm very surprised Naim didn't ask them to remove that bit, as they seem to be against voodoo science type stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2363
Never had the pleasure of hearing a Naim setup. Lots of people on here seem to rave about Naim.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3613
According to another thread, Finder is looking at a CDX2/282/250.2 based system. If the dealer offers to install the system for a reasonable fee or less (in the UK it's free by agreement with Naim), then he should take up the offer if at all possible.

The 'witch craft' spoken about in What HiFi is less witch craft and more a combination of common sense and experience gleaned over years of setting this stuff up. Naim don't really go in for voodoo but they do have some rather odd practices, and one of these is cable dressing. A Naim system will sound good without having the cables dressed beautifully, but it will sound a bit better if you are careful about where the system is placed, what order the boxes are placed in the rack (i.e. which ones affect which in what way due to the large toroidal transformers inside) and cable dressing.

Most people who see a burndy cable for the first time go 'what the heck is that?' The look of astonished disbelief as one attempts to explain that it's just there to power a preamp or CD player can be debilitating - or make one think that we really have gone a bit too far haven't we? Anyway, I digress.

Naim Audio always like to de-stress their cables in the factory (they have a machine called the cable shaker for interconnects) which simply takes some of the tension out of the cable before it's used. this avoids microscopic stretching in the interconnect over time. Burndy leads and the newer HiLine are more resistant to shaking so it's recommended that you de-stress the cable by hand before installing it. Normally a dealer does the first installation, so he does this as a matter of course during the installation. This dealer is trying to ensure Finder gets it right.

After all, you've spent the money, you might as well get the best out of it if it's just going to take an extra 5 minutes of bending cables...(well maybe 10 minutes).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Thanks frank, would you please explain more about rack placement of the boxes?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Thanks frank, Would you please explain more about "correct" rack placement of the boxes?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3622
As you've worked out by now, Naim put a lot of store in the quality of their external power supplies, and in keeping the power supplies away from the more delicate signal electronics. All Naim power supplies, including the ones integrated into their kit (such as the CDX2's built-in power supply) use large toroidal transformers for best results.

These large toroids exert big magnetic fields, so the further one keeps the box with the toroid in it from the box without any in it, the better the result. In a top-rank system, all the power supplies are placed on one rack and all the signal boxes are placed on a separate rack. This isn't possible in your case, but if you were to buy a CDX2/282/200, you'd put the 200 at the bottom, the CDX2 next up and the 282 at the top for best results. Again, this is just trying to optimise the system. If you wanted the CD player at the top, the system will sound great in a more traditional CDX2/282/200 layout. It's just the experience of many of how to best apply the kit once you've spent the money!

Hope this helps,
Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3254
Bryston uses a similar approach. James Tanner (VP of Bryston) was talking about how certain pieces should be placed above others due to magnetic fields. They were designed so that the field can only go one way, for some technical reason that made a bunch of sense.

Stuff like that's not voodoo science. Stuff like turning them on and off and plugging and unplugging a bunch of times is IMO.

According to my local Naim dealer, Naim requires their US dealers to install their gear - free of charge - to any reasonable distance. This is so that the gear is set up correctly. Naim doesn't want their stuff to be thrown together incorrectly and not be given the best situation to perform as designed. For the amount of money they're charging, more companies should require this IMO.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3625
Switching off and on is new to me. In fact, it's not something I'd normally recommend (doing so is more likely to blow internal fuses).

Plugging and unplugging has a beneficial effect in some cases. The action of doing so cleans the plug and socket of any accumulated oxidation. It's particularly effective with DIN connections which are usually not gold anodised, and Naim use rhodium plating on their power cords/IEC sockets so it's also applicable there to a minor degree.

This is only something they recommend you do once or twice a year, and they say it won't kill you or the system not to do it. These are all tips and tricks to keep your kit working at its optimum level. I never do it since I just can't be bothered and my system sounds so good anyway and gives me so much pleasure every day, I'm willing to sacrifice the last ounce of performance for my sanity.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2156
for my sanity.

All evidence to the contrary Frank!

Is anyone here sane?

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3629
lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala....