New B&W CM series

Bronze Member
Username: Danonc

Post Number: 17
Has anyone listened to the new CM5's? I currently have the 685s and was contemplating an upgrade, but don't really care for the CM1. I have Rotel electronics. Just looking for any first impressions. It's a long drive to go listen to the CM5 and was just wondering if it was worth the trip.

Thanks in advance,
Dan J

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9272
Do they have the CM's at Bradfords...

I believe that's where you bought your 685's.

Dan, you're not going to improve the sound of your system much upgrading your speakers a bit while using the same electronics. Those 685's can sound damn good with a better amp and source.

I suggest you go to Bradfords and listen to your speakers with a Rogue or Vincent (or both) amp and a better source then try your amp and source (which I think they still have) with the CM's and see which comes out on top. They have a lot of products to choose from and they have your gear to compare with. Even better both Tim and Jeff have decades of experience in audio...they know of what they speak.

You can get all your answers with just a bit of effort and a little drive.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11950
Cue the road music...

I suggest Subteranian homesick blues...

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1928
I rather like the CM1's they have a spectacular midband and suprising deep bass,with laidback highs.

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 292
I would agree with Tawaun. When I audtioned speakers, the 685/685 and CM1 were listened to extensviely.

I was seriouly considering the CM1/CM7 until I completely revamped my kit.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9294
Apparently Dan isn't pleased with the sound of the CM1's but is considering the CM5's...

The 685's and CM1's are pretty good efforts by B&W and both represent pretty decent value...to really get the most from either the Rotel electronics will have to give way to something a little further up the ladder.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Thanks Art! I was totally just curious if anyone had any first impressions.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11975
Again, the typical move up is to Classe within the brand.

I recommend other brands of electrics for value.

I like the Rotel and 685 combo meself.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9298
Dan is a musician and I can see how the combination may not be completely satufying over the long haul.

You have a good system Dan but like everything else it can be better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Art,
I have to say thanks for the recommendations on the vdh cabling. The Well and the CS122 (I think) cables have made an incredible difference. I have to agree with you on the wave - really spacious, but not the right match with the 1072 cd player. I'm very satisfied with my system, until I go see Dale and Chris. But then again, their brands mean an enormous jump in terms of cash!
Dan

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1931
If he's a musician,then none of those combinations wont suite him,he's probably looking for natural timbre and some warmth,Spendor,Harbeth,Quad L series,Swan,and Wharfedale will be better options than B&W.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9302
That's right Dan...nothing quite like the Devore Fidelity/Mastersound combo...however you have to come with the serious cash to go home with any of those goodies.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
You said it Art. I may not be the most experienced stereophile on the block, but I have never heard anything come out of speakers that sounded so much like real instruments. Especially acoustic instruments. I wish Dale needed a roommate.....

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9304
DeVore is high on my list of speakers when I replace my Rega's. I like the Mastersound but would likely opt for Mac instead. I think the DeVore/Mac combo would be awesome as well. Loomed up with vdH cables it would be outstanding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us