New receiver search

Username: Coachg

Post Number: 1
I have been a long reader of this website and have always valued the various opinions. I purchased def tech pro cinema 600 and am trying to pair w/ a new receiver. Sent back yamaha 663 as i was underwhelmed w/ setup and sound. Any advice would be appreciated. I am looking at onkyo 606 currently. I would call myself a novice so ease of setup is important to me

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 622
Thwe Onkyo 606 has gotten alot of good press kere and other places. I checked oput Onkyo's website and they are showing the new TX-SR607 FOR THE SAME LIST PRICE AS THE 606.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 623
A few spelling errors &*#% happens.

Post Number: 2
casey.. thanks. i'm hoping the price for the 606 will come down a tad as they move in the 607's. I have heard some concerns of overheating though in the 606.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9236
Music or movies? I have a Yamaha receiver which sounds great for movies...music not so much. I don't know of any mass market AVR that I would consider musically engaging. The closest IMO would be the latest models from Marantz.

Post Number: 3
hey art--i'd say 95% movies. How do you compare marantz to the onkyo name

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11902
March 09 - Onkyo ProLogic IIz receiver - As the first installment of its 2009 product line-up, Onkyo has introduced three new home theater receivers, including the world's first to offer Dolby's new ProLogic IIz processing. Theses models, range in price from $299 to $599 and include an array of advanced HD audio and video technologies from Onkyo, Dolby, DTS, Audyssey, Faroudja, and others that were previously only available at higher price points. The TX-SR607 features six HDMI inputs and is the first 7.2-channel AV receiver with a front-panel HDMI input and Dolby ProLogic IIz mode which introduces a vertical aspect to the sound field through the addition of left and right-channel front height speakers mounted above the main speakers.

These new models are well equipped for Blu-ray and other HD audio and video source components, with HDMI repeaters plus Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio processing in the TX-SR607 and TX-SR507. The entry-level TX-SR307 has HDMI pass-through switching on three inputs, while all three models support 1080p, Deep Color and x.v.Color.

All of these receivers use Audyssey 2EQ, an automatic calibration system which corrects each channel's output in both frequency and time domains based on measurements at three unique listening positions, Audyssey Dynamic Volume technology, which optimizes the dynamic range of listening material at any listening level, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which corrects problems associated with reduced sound quality at low listening levels.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9238
The latest Marantz AVR's are exceptionally well built, good sounding receivers for movies. For featutrs you will have have to check their websites and do a comparison.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2086
I have a Marantz AvR7002 - does it all very well and was good value. As Art says check the website then compare with others. Try to audition some various brands - difficult I know as they will all have different set-ups. I'm just not an Onkyo fan - others are.

Post Number: 4
i would like to keep the wifey happy and spend around $500. The marantz seems a little too rich for my blood

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3602
Mark,

You're correct that the Onkyos do run warmer than most other AV receivers. That said we're not talking particularly hot. You just need to keep them 9and any AV receiver for that matter) nicely ventilated.

The 606 is Onkyo's 2nd generation HD audio receiver where most other brands are on their 1st generation (all other brands at this price level) so they're ahead of the curve here.

The new 607 should be interesting. However, in terms of prices I would not be surprised if all the range is more expensive than the last sinec it's quite well known that Onkyo stole the march on everybody else by making the 605 and 606 as loss-leaders to the brand. They did not make much out of them, and with the current economic situation, the prices are more likely to rise thanks to the weak dollar and pound.

Musically the Onkyo is about as nasty as most other AV receivers at this price...

Post Number: 5
Frank- thanks for the response. The cheapest i found the 606 was for $399 US at ABT. The only other one in that price range and worth a looksy is probably the yamaha 663 which i had bad luck with. I'm pairing the receiver w/ def tech pro cinema 600. I have a very small room so power for me isn't an issue as much as clarity during TV/movie watching

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9242
Did the Yamaha sound bad or did it have service issues. Just curious because I've owned AVR's from Onkyo, Marantz, Rotel, NAD, and Denon and enjoy my Yamaha as much as the best of them for movies. I hope Yamaha hasn't gone that far downhill in 3 yrs.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 625
As I wrote earlier about the Onkyo 606 geting a lot of good press here and on other sites, my true pick is Denon. There is a lot to like about Denon and there AVR-2309 might work for you if you can get it for your price.

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 28
If you could scrounge up an extra hundred amazon is having a blowout sale on Pioneer Elites and has the VSX-01TXH for 579.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Elite-VSX-01TXH-receiver-channel/dp/B001DF7H6Q

four left

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11977
Read down there that a customer replaced a 606 with the Pioneer due to smoke damage to the Onkyo. Smoke from the inside.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9303
I read that too Nuck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us