Arcam A65 vs NAD C326BEE vs Audiolab 8000S

Username: Ben_12345

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm in the process of building my first Hi-Fi system. My local retailers had only a combination of 2 brands... so it's very hard for me compare what I found good in one store vs what I found good in the other store.

In one store I had the chance to compare Audiolab 8000S and Rotel 1062 and to my ear of beginner the Audiolab seams to do a better job... but from what I understand Audiolab is a dying brand. (both for about 600usd)

In one an other store, I had the chance to compare an Arcam A65 (Used) with a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A (both for about 400usd)... and to my hear of beginner, told me that the Arcam was the most interesting.

And in 2 different stores, I was able to listen to the NAD C326BEE and the NAD Viso 2 (about 500usd and 1000usd respectively).... Both seams to be very interesting, but I was unable to compare their sound quality.

I will use my sound system to listen to music 80% of the time and 20% movies. I'm living in a relatively small apartment and I don't want to have more than 2 speakers.

I really appreciate if you could give me some advices

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11887
ben, you have to decide on music. You will not live in a small space forever?
2 ch music can do movies well, like mine does, and many others.
Drop the visio idea, IMO, there have been issues.

The arcam is very good, but keep in mind that this may expand into 5 ch HT, which I do not recommend.

A dedicated 2ch or 2.1 is fine but dont expand too far if you love your music so much.

Really, a HTIB have moved up sufficiently to be useful for 5.1, I think, unless you need to move up.

Music is 2.0 or 2.1.

Post Number: 2
Hi Nuck,

I'm not sure yet what will be the speakers... I have similar problem doing comparison with those (different store have different brand)... but at this point I'm tending toward B&W 685.

From what I understand, I don't really need a sub with those speakers.

Also as I plan things, when I move to a bigger place where I have a dedicated room for an HT, I will stile need a secondary sound system.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11891
ben, dealing with one thing at a time, the 685's.
These standmount speakers are probably the better of the newer 6 series.
The samller lighter cabs of the 685 deliver tighter midbass than the floormount 683's but you might have to place the smaller speakers closer to the corners or sidewalls of your room to get the bass which is usually preferred.
The 685's are not generally noted for bass response, while the larger siblings are noted for the same, in varying degrees af bass quality.
The midbass of the smaller 685's have been a lot of fun when I heard them.
A solid foundation with a floating mount, or speakers on points have sounded good to me in a short test.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2327
I've never owned Arcam, but have listened to them many times at dealer. From what I have heard NAD is not in the same class as Arcam. I've own a few NAD items, and while they are very capable, they're also somewhat unremarkable.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2328
and BTW, I would expect the Arcam/CA CDP would be quite a good combination.

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisgwd

California

Post Number: 40
ben,

I own an Arcam AVP-700 pre-pro and have been very happy with it. I also looked at the NAD and Rotel, but found the Arcam to just be smoother and more musical to my ears. I sympathize with your difficulty though. Many of the so called "Hi-Fi" shops I checked out couldn't set up a decent system / room to save their neck. I really struggled.

I also recently purchased speakers. B&W was at the top of my list. I owned M&Ks for 19 years. B&W would have been a step up and are really nice speakers. I decided to go with a small custom made speaker by Selah Audio. I just found that you can get a comparable to better sounding speaker from a small company like that for much less money. The big guys must spend a lot of money on marketing.

A sub is great for movies adding a lot of punch. but if you are thinking about long term, a better monitor will be money well spent. Put off the sub for another day and maybe you'll be happier in the long term? I am guessing that you will enjoy your 80% music listening more and the sub won't be that far along for the movies.

And, listen to Nuck, David, and Jan. These guys are much more experienced than I am with this board and a broader spectrum of systems. They always have great advice...:-)

Chris

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2415
I pretty much agree with everyone. The NAD AVR's are much better at home theater than the NAD two channel stuff is at music. However, NAD is not in the same league as Arcam. David and Chris are right on that. Secondly, Nuck is right with the fact that its damn hard to have a musical system with a 5.1 setup, and vise versa. 2.0 does a good job for movies, but a good 5.1 setup will blow it out of the water. If your preference is only 20 percent movies, I like Nuck's recommendation of sticking almost all of your budget into a good two channel system and just pick up a cheap surround system for movies. Cheers.

Username: Jimalex

Post Number: 7
Ben, I just bought a Arcam A18 and am very pleased with it. Very clean sound and no noise. Sounded more detailed than the Yamaha in a comparison. (with my Celestion SL6's) May be short of power for your use.
(Only 50 watts)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2339
Those 50 Arcam watts should be plenty. Unless Ben wants his ears to bleed.

What's the sensitivity on the B&W's anyway?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11908
The 685 is 88, with a -6 db @42Hz...almost low enough...

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=2301&terid=2304

Post Number: 3
Thanks for your advice guys,

I really like the idea of Christ to buy my speakers from a small specialized company... the only thing is that I don't really see how I could listen to them with my local stores...

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 41
ben,

That is a tough one. This is what I did...

Read everything I could find about the various direct speaker makers...compared drivers to the commercial guys...listened to close comparisons...Once I zeroed in on the one I was most interested in, I found a message board dedicated to them...traded a bunch of emails with the designer...some of them have demo speakers they will send out for audition (the only way to audition IMO, in your own room with the rest of your gear)...some of them have clients in your area that are willing to audition...I stuck a toe in and upgraded my center channel speaker. I liked the results and expanded to the monitors and subs.

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 42
PS - I actually started down the road of making my own speakers and ended up where I did. I think it may have been Jan that got me started there a couple of years ago...:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us