Any hope with center channel dilemma?

Bronze Member
Username: Chevive

Post Number: 26
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you had any advice re: center channel options for my setup.

I have a pair of Focal Chorus 716Vs in front, a Cambridge Audio 540Rv3 receiver, a NAD 705 I'm using as a power amp for the Focals. A PS3 is serving as my BD/DVD source for now.

I bought a pair of PSB Alpha B1s on ebay for peanuts which I was hoping to use as rears or if this is impossible, as a separate bedroom system with the 705.

I want to add a center channel to complete the setup (room is not especially big, so I'm willing to hold off on the sub for now). I know the Focal CC700V would be the ideal speaker, but I can't shell out MSRP for one now and haven't been able to find any used ones in London (where I live).

There are a number of used center channels from other brands that appear quite frequently on the classified sites here, however. Seeing a lot of Wharfedale, Mission, B&W... are any of these decent matches with the Focals? Any suggestions of brands I should look into that would work well with Focals for the time being?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9208
Stick with Focal.

Bronze Member
Username: Chevive

Post Number: 27
Thanks Art - I've actually just found a Focal listing, but its for a Sib XL speaker... are these close enough to the Chorus, or does one really have to go for same brand AND series?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9209
I would wait for something closer to your speakers...waiting can be difficult, but it's worth it.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2325
It will definitely be worth waiting. Buying something else now will lead to an upgrade later. It gets expensive. Trust me.

BTW, how do you like the 540R v3? I have the v2 and it's a very capable unit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us