Nad, Cambridge, and Focal?

Bronze Member
Username: Chevive

Post Number: 21
Just moved back to the UK and have a PS3 hooked up to a Cambridge 540Rv3 and a pair of Focal 716V floorstanding speakers...

Long story short, I remember the Focals pairing nicely with a NAD amp when I was in the store buying them (regrettably AFTER buying the Cambridge). I'm seeing a few used NAD integrated amps (3130, 3020) for under $100.

Is it worth trying to add an old NAD 2-channel to my rig, or are these amps too underpowered for the Focals? Any advice appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2296
What's the sensitivity of the Focals? I would guess that it would be fine. I used to have an old NAD 2150 (50 watts) that punched way above it's weight.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Sorry, but I'm hopeless with the really technical stuff (was always a poor physics student!)

Here's what I got from the Focal tech sheet:

Type 2 1/2-way bass-reflex floorstanding
loudspeaker
Drivers 61/2" (165mm) Polyglass woofer
61/2" (165mm) Polyglass mid-bass
1" (25mm) TNV Al/Mg inverted dome tweeter
Frequency response (+/- 3dB) 50Hz-28kHz
Low frequency point (- 6dB) 41Hz
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91.5dB
Nom. impedance 8 ohms
Minimum impedance (@25°C) 4.3 ohms @ 146Hz
Max. power handling. 200W
Power RMS 130W
Crossover frequency 300Hz / 3000Hz
Dimensions (HxWxD) 373/8x83/4x133/8"
(950x222x340mm)
Net weight 45.1lbs (20.5kg)

I've read that the 3020 has a "claimed power rating of 28 watts @ 8 Ohms (20-20 KHz)".

The 3130 is advertised at 30 watts/channel. Would this be OK with my speakers?

Thanks!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2298
At 91.5 db, your Focals are fairly sensitive. I would guess it would be fine. I'm driving some Paradigm Studio speakers with at 40 watt Rotel integrated, and it's plenty of power.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11819
Che, for cheap, you have to try the NAD and see if it suits you.
In a small room, you may be fine.

The NAD you quote are old, remember. Neither will work as new, and output could be fuzzy or low, due to age.
Neither model was stellar for its power, or phono stage, but rather for the combination of features and build...many years ago.

Nearly anything new-ish will likely walk all over the oldies, including the very nice 315BEE. Hint hint

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Thanks guys... I'd actually put in a bid that got hit for a 705 for about USD 45, and am picking it up tomorrow. I've since come across a 315BEE that I might be able to get for about $130... If the 705 doesn't do the trick, I'll try out the 315

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11844
Good luck Che...the 315 is a very capable little unit so I am told.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2414
I agree with Nuck. The 315bee is an amazing unit for the money at retail value. 130??? I would take a couple.lol. I would be jumping all over that. Have fun Che.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Thanks guys... I must admit to being a bit trigger happy with Ebay while the dollar was unusually strong

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11845
Che, what world do you live in that your dollar is strong?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2311
LOL!

BTW ebay sucks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Was in Russia, now in London... When I moved over from the states, the Ruble was at 23.5 to the dollar and the pound was closer to 2... now its 35 and 1.45, respectively (and that's after the big move this week)! All relative I guess, but the European MSRPs haven't moved a whole lot recently from what I can tell
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us