Which Did My Ears Prefer? Little Speaker Survey

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9152
I posted this on the Beta 20 thread as well.

So which is better to my ears...the Infinity Beta 20, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, Epos ELS3, or the Paradigm Atom Monitor v6. These are all very nice budget speakers, each with it's own strengths and weaknesses.

In order of preference:

1)Wharfedale Diamond 9.1. The best balanced speaker of the lot with by far the most refined high end. Bass is ample for the size of low end driver...being front ported helps for placement as well. It is the second biggest sounding speaker of the bunch after the Beta 20. Full, rich sound with the best imaging and the most 3 dimensional soundstage of the speakers on survery here. Higly recommended!

2)Epos ELS3 - Great little speaker with the second best imaging and a forward yet not aggressive soundstage. Biggest gripe with this speaker is that it sounds it's size. I remember when I put the Diamond 9.1's into the system...my wife said wow what changed, that sounds good and clear even in here...she was in another room but recognized that the sound was now bigger and fuller with the Wharfies. I would have a hard time parting with the ELS3.

Both the Wharfedale and the Epos have a wonderful way with instruments. The Epos has a wide open midrange which let's you hear deep into the music however the timbre, though very good, is not as natural and organic as the Wharfie.

Both the Beta 20 and the Paradigm have greater drawbacks than the previous two...it really is a draw between these two for the next spot.

The Beta 20 is a big full sounding speaker which seems capable of greater volume than any of the other speakers here. The primary drawback of the speaker is that instruments do not sound natural. There is considerable grayness to every sound...a sameness that detracts from the overall experience for me. Imaging is pretty poor compared to the previous speakers. Overall it's a good speaker for $100 or a bit more and does a number of things right. When I had just the Beta 20 and the Epos there was considerable angst as to which would live long term in the office. My wife liked the full sound of the Beta 20 but we both liked the musicality of the Epos...in the end I chose the Epos...until the Wharfies rendered the point moot.

The Paradigm Atom sounds bigger than the Epos and not as big as the Beta 20. Better timbral balance than the Beta 20 with less detail than any of the speakers on survery here. Siginificant issue for me is the amount of port noise from this speaker...another big issue is that Paradigm seems to have reduced the amount of detail that this speaker can render to alleviate the possibility of fatigue or brightness that some reported with the v5...they went too far...though this speaker is not as vanilla as the Beta 20 it ain't far behind. It works wonderfully in my wife's system with her NAD C325BEE and when I offered the Beta 20's to her she said no thanks...

These results were using my Creek 4330 integrated and modified Rotel RCD 971 cd player.

I did try all of the speakers on the big system with very similar results except that this time the Beta 20 and Paradigm did not tie...the Paradigm sounded better to my ears. The Beta 20 just didn't sound good on the Rega gear, very flat and monochromatic.

Well that's it.

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 279
Nice write up Art. I've been tossing around some smaller speakers for a bedroom setup.

Thanks, this gives me some ideas of what to add to my list.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9155
Thanks Ed...it's been fun listening to all the speakers. Never got around to head to head listening with the Primus 152. The Beta 20's are for sale in the local CL.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9157
The winner is...

Upload
Upload

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9158
Those are the new Solidsteel speaker stands,...mass loaded and very well built.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1832
Attractive too.

I wasn't even aware that I preferred long slim legs. LOL

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11799
A day late and a dollar short for the shootout...

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/120812-_rega_ara_bookshelf_speakers__made _in_england__best_sound_for_the_size_/

Good stuff Art!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9159
Those are purdy!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11801
yep!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2401
Good review Art. Well done. Those Rega's do look pretty. I wonder how the PSB Alpha's and Entry Monitor Audio bookies would compare as well. So many good speakers for cheap these days. Thanks again.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9167
Also Mordaunt-Short and the KEF IQ1's. Lots to listen to without spending a load. The Wharfies sounded fantastic on my Rega system.

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 216
Very nice write up Art, thank you. Nice set up. I really like the stands and the stereo stand as well. What stereo stand is that?

Here is another that might do very well in that company.http://www.focusaudio.com/index1.htm

This would be "neat" as well.http://www.neat.co.uk/p_pages/momentumone.php

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 217
The focus audio link was suppose to go right to the FC6. The Signature series looks really nice, but more thats more$$.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9171
Wow, those are nice speakers, I really like the Neat speakers.

The stand is a Lovan Sovereign...not very good but it'll do for the time being.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9175
The Beta 20 did nothing offensive which is great coming from a speaker of it's present street price. It also has enviable build quality. The Wharfedales were a bit of challenge relative to QC. The first set had a speaker with a bad tweeter and the second set had one speaker that was built out of square so to speak. I wouldn't sit flat on a stand. The first set I bought from someone in Seattle (not a dealer) and it was difficult to resolve the issue. The second set I bought from STO Sound & Vision and Mike was excellent to deal with. He resolved the issue quickly and efficiently...a recommended retailer.

Same with the Epos...first set had terrible build quality and the vinyl was actually peeling from the speaker...second set from Kurt at Echo Audio (who I will add resolved the issue quickly as well) was just perfect.

Same with the Paradigm Atom Monitors, first set had the woofer surround applied incorrectly so it was all wrinkled up...second set just fine.

The Beta 20's came ready to use...however it shouldn't be forgotten that they are refurbs...hmm

Silver Member
Username: Scorpio1

PA USA

Post Number: 289
STO Sound & Vision is only 15 mins from my house Art.

Indeed some good guys to deal with. Had I not bought my Naim gear, I would have gotten my Rega kit from them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9176
Good to hear that they are as good to deal with FTF as they are on the phone.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 236
I tried to tell you guys a long time ago, there's someting special about the Rega and Wharfedale combo.

Some really musical synergy....chemistry.

Buuuuuuuuuut NO, did you listen?

Congratulations Art!!! Glad you found something you really liked!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us