Which amps?

Username: Mjm1124

Post Number: 1
Hi,

New member here...Was hoping for some opinions. I'm getting a pair of Polk LSI9's (4 ohm ) and am trying to decide on the power source. Option one is bi-amping them with an NAD 372 integrated and NAD 272 power amp. Option two is an Adcom GFA 555 SE power amp and an Adcom GFP 17 pre-amp. Both options are in my $1200 to $1500 budget. Any opinions of these amps or recommendations of others would be most welcome...Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2225
I owned the 272 (two of them actually) for awhile. It was ok... lots of power but I got tired of it pretty quickly.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3208
For the money, I'd look into Parasound Halo stuff before anything else, especially with the LSI9s.

I'm not a fan of Adcom at all, except the GFA 5802 and GFP 750 (I think they're the model numbers). They're both design by Nelson Pass. They're the ones with the gold plate switch on the front. Both have been discontinued, but can be found used on Audiogon for a good price.

Have you heard the Polks and gear you plan on buying?

Username: Mjm1124

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys,

Stu, I looked at Parasound ..the Halo line is a bit out of my price range, But the New Classic line isn't...Two 2125's and the 2100 pre-amp seem interesting. There is a local Parasound dealer here but trying to find someone who carries the Polks AND the amps is a bit difficult. Have you heard anything good or bad about Anthem products?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2231
My dealer carries Anthem stuff. The few times I've heard it I've liked it. Well built too.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11727
mike, here in Toronto you can get the 162/272 for $900.
Thats cheap.

The 165/275 is due out, and there are lots of NAD amps out there.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us