Sold the DonorCycle and Getting a new Surround Sound

Username: Electricity_rocks

Post Number: 1
I'm a 40yr old that decided to ditch the donorcycle and get a new family treat. A new surround sound. I am no rookie to sound, but no Audiophile ether. I have 3k to work with give or take 100 bucks...I am looking at getting the samsung 52a650 with the onkyo tx-sr706 with polk audio RM6750's. Mounting the tv on the wall and running the speaker wire under the floor into the basement and back up the walls. I decided I want 7.1 and thx certification and feel 537 bucks for that kind of receiver is a good deal. I have a couple questions...will this receiver cause any overload issues for the speakers and is this money allocated in the right areas...does a good receiver outweigh mediocre speakers that can be upgraded down the road or is it better to get the best speakers now and downgrade the receiver a bit? Thanks Gang...enjoy your posts...oh and 400 of that cost is going for a PS3 for blue ray...so basically that leaves me with 700-800 for an AVR and speakers...

Post Number: 3
ok well thanks gang....lol...n/m

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8989
Oh I forgot we were supposed to respond right away...

This is a small forum and it might take awhile for those who might have answered your question to get a lunch break at work or perhaps get home from having lunch with friends...

BTW out of 3k you're gonna pony up $700-800 for an AVR and speakers. Not well balanced in my opinion, especially if that includes a sub.

Sounds like you know what you want, go forward and make a purchase. I might buy a 46 inch TV and free up a few more bucks to buy better speakers but that's just me. Either that or if your room dictates the 52 inch is optimal then spend a few more dollars and get a nice set of speakers. The rest of the system is way ahead of the speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2372
Hey David, it sounds like your are purchasing from a box store. Not recommended IMO but if its a must try to audition some other speakers at Big box stores like Energy and Klipch that IMO are far better sounding than Polk stuff. The Onkyo is a great choice.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Art...
The size of the room does dictate the TV. Its a 25x18 room with the seating a little past 1/2 way on the 25 side. We set up just the TV last night and WOW! Its perfect! Huge change from a 32" 480. I think this will be nice...i think I am going to go with the 706 and upgrade the speakers vs the TV later...I just was thinking it was easier to upgrade speakers than go to a larger TV if it warranted it due to the room, easier to live with too large a TV than too small, not to mention I bought the 52A650 Samsung for 1799 bucks. What do you think is the best brand for a 500-600 set of speakers or does it matter at that price mark? I was leaning towards Bostons or Polks. I saw some used Bose Acoustimass 5 III for about 240 bucks, but heard that brand is over rated and you are paying for name...thanks for your time...I will slow down on lack of patience around here for posts...heheh..in my motorcycle forum once, i had 87 replies in less than an hour once on a post of mine...hehehee...i was feeling neglected here, so thanks for filling me in! :-))

Post Number: 6
Thanks Nick...

I was going off flea Bay. Don't worry...I owned a business on there. I am savvy on there, and have had one bad purchase in over 700 transactions! I research sellers long before I buy! :-) I just can't go into 'best buy' or what ever and pay the prices they are asking. Our stereo/speaker stores around here are way out of my league unfortunately at this time. I was going to get like one nice speaker a paycheck. I was looking at Aperion's Intimus 6T Hybrid HD's or Harmons...not sure which direction, but something a little more substantial. :-) Thanks for 'input' guys, pun intended.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9005
Infinity Primus...I bought 252's front, 152's rear and 350 center for $480. Just add sub and you're ready to go.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 602
Instead upgrading the speakers later what about spending you 500-600 on only one pair of speakers andthen build your system from there.Paradigm mini monitors.
http://paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-monitor-minimonitor-model-2-4-1-14.paradi gm

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9026
The Paradigm Mini Monitor is only marginally better than the Primus 152 and probably not better than the Primus 162.

Cheaply made speakers are cheaply made speakers why spend more because one has a better brand reputation at present. The Infinity Primus series perform way above their street price, excellent value.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 606
Art are you saying Paradigm mini monitors are cheaply made speakers? Maybe you should get a clue before you enter anymore of your nonsense.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9028
Casey I know more about Paradigm speakers than you will ever know.

I've owned Paradigm Studio 60v1's, Studio 40v2's and v3's Studio 20v1's, v2's, and v3's, Monitor 5v4's, Monitor 3v1, Mini Monitor v2's, v3's, Atom v1's, Atom Monitor v5's and v6's and the Paradigm Esprit, the Active Studio Center, CC350, CC250, PDR8, PDR10, PDR12, PW2100, PW2200 and PS1000...I know I've left out a few but that's the list for now. I've listened extensively to every Paradigm speaker made in the last 20 years.

My best friend in Audio has been a Paradigm dealer since around 1990 also have other friends in the area who are dealers.

Yes the Mini Monitor is a cheaply made speaker...nuff said. The v5 was absoulutely awful..the v6 is a bit better.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 610
As for someone who has owned all those Paradigm models something must have attracted you to them. Paradigm speakers are a one of the best bang for the buck as far as speakers go.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9036
Yes Casey something did attract me then...

You haven't been watching very closely here for sometime probably. This forum, for the most part is pro Paradigm. Paradigm had to work pretty hard to get any negative comments from here. I routinely recommended the Studio 20 and other Paradigm speakers for quite awhile. However with the v5 the Monitor series (and merging of the old Performance line into the Monitor line) took a precipitous nose dive. They increased efficiency to meet the needs of the HT market and in doing so really mucked up a lot of their speakers. Many old standards in the line like the Mini Monitor and Titan Monitor sounded so bad that some dealers I know wouldn't recommend or even carry them in the store. Fortunately the Atom (Monitor) remained pretty strong. Coinciding with the downard spiral in sound quality was a similar fall in build quality. Paradigm realized the folly of their ways and reworked the crossover for the Monitor series v5's and in record time released the v6....better yes, up to the old standard for Paradigm, your ears will have to decide.

I'm very interested in hearing the latest incarnation of the Studio 20...should be fun.

I gave my wife my most recent Paradigm's...the Atom Monitor v6...she loves them. First pair had to be replaced...the surround on one woofer had been incorrectly installed and the woofer had breaks in the material...hmm.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 612
Art I want to apologies for getting huffy, its not my usually way. I only wanted to recommend a different tactic to Super Dave. My understanding of his thread was to buy speakers now for $500-700 and upgrade the speakers later. I wanted to suggest buying the front L&R only for that amount of money and building the system two or three speakers at a time. I should have written as for instance the Paradigms, B&W, Definitive Technology or any of the many speaker choices that are available as an example. The mini monitors were an example. From the choices he was mentioning Bose, Boston, Polk maybe he was not aware of some other brands as someone mentioned it sounded like he was shopping in big box store.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9040
Not a problem Casey...hope I didn't come off as angry. Your suggestion is certainly valid.

I'm not sure that folks understand just how good a value the Infinity Primus speakers are. They are certainly not the be all end all but a person could get a whole surround speakers setup for the retail price of a pair of Mini's and that's where I was coming from.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us