NAD amp blues

Username: Pawa_up

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone.
I have a situation which I hope that you might be able to shed some light on.
I have recently purchased a NAD S250 amp and was hoping to connect it to my Denon AVR 785. When I used the pre out on the Denon to connect there is a strong hum coming from the speakers. If I disconnect the RCAs it stops. There is a signal coming through the amp but the hum is loud (worse as i turn up the gains on the amp). Can't figure out where I have gone wrong.

I read another post about grounding but I just find it hard to imagine this much noise could be be as a result of that type of situation. Usually pretty handy with electronic equipment but this has me confounded!!

I am looking forward to cranking this thing up so any tips or suggestions to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11615
Welcome PU.
You will have to sort out the incoming power and grounds first.
Are the 2 units sharing a common recepticle/circuit?
Are both units equipped with grounded plugs?
You can try a ground lift adapter on one or both of the units.
You can temporarily ground the units to each other with a wire.
Are your outlets new/grounded/tightly connected?
Start with the basics.

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 2
Hey Nuck.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Are the 2 units sharing a common recepticle/circuit?

Yes. Both are plugged into a monster surge protector. Is this good or bad?

Are both units equipped with grounded plugs?

The NAD amp has a ground plug the Denon receiver does not.

You can try a ground lift adapter on one or both of the units.

Is this one of the 3 to 2 prong adapters? If so, are they legal to purchase in Canada?

You can temporarily ground the units to each other with a wire.

How would i do this? What points should I make the ground?

Are your outlets new/grounded/tightly connected?

This could be the nightmare. I rent in a building that is likely 150 years old and the landlord is the Mr Roper of handymen. I have no way of knowing what is done right in this place. Can I check this with a simple electronic tool?

Thanks for the assistance. I will work on locating a ground lift adapter and try that.

Just another thought. I use a cable booster pre TV. Suppose I should knock this offline too eh?

Cheers! Thanks again!

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 3
Hey Nuck,

I did what you said in regards to a ground lift adapter (actually had to make a cheater ext. cord with the ground broken off) and it worked. Crazy!

I don't really need to know how this works (I'm sure it is rather complicated) however I would like to know if this is safe to run the amp like this long term. Is it or is there a long term fix (besides redoing all the electrical in my place)?

I really appreciate your help!!

Cheers!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11619
PU, you didnt hear it from me, but apparantly some people leave the setup like this.

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 4
I understand what you are saying.

Does this mean I do not have any long term fixes without doing a full electrical reno?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11625
you could pull one circuit with a single ground, and add a ground to the Denon.

When I suggested grounding together, pull out a solid looking screw from the chassis of each and bond them with a wire.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11626
Anything for a brother from the Hammer!

Hamilton, ON Canada

Post Number: 5
What can I say, another good deed done by Nuck!! I am enjoying your handy work as I type. Think I'll try the chassis to chassis ground.

Good luck with your renos! Thanks for taking the time to show a audio rookie the way!

All the best!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us