2 Channel system for $500-$750

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3173
My brother in law and I were in the mall the other day with our wives. While they were shopping for their typical stuff, we went to Best Buy. I didn't realize he was looking for a new sound system to go with his new flat panel TV.

He started looking at some sound bars that sounded awful and were a lot bigger than he thought they were. We then moved over to the Bose setups (unintentionally). He liked a 2 speaker and sub setup they had for $500.

One of the countless reasons why I love my wife so much - They walked in when he was talking to the sales kid, and my wife quietly said to me "You're not going to let him buy a Bose system, are you?" I didn't want to insult the sales kid (I was in a good mood), so after he walked away I showed my brother in law how much Bose sucks.

The Bose system fits his criteria on paper - discrete and wall mountable. He has a 3 month old daughter that'll start walking sooner than later and its probably best to avoid anything that'll be knocked over or potentially injure my wonderful niece.

He currently has a Sony Dream system in his bedroom that he thinks sounds like garbage, but can't describe exactly how. He knows better stuff is out there but doesn't have a ton of money. The only hifi store left in the area carries some pretty expensive stuff and I have the feeling that he'll get sticker shock and get frustrated and walk away. Sony is probably the only thing they carry in his price range anyway.

So... Here's his criteria -

No second hand gear. He's not comfortable buying without a warantee. Refurbed gear is ok.

2 channel will work best, but will probably add a sub down the road if needed

Doesn't need a source at this point - I'll talk him into a better one down the road; currently using PS3 and cable box

Not much critical music listening at this point, but that'll change when he gets the right stuff

Watches a lot of action/special effects movies (Dark Knight, etc), and a lot of concert DVDs - Floyd, Tool, etc.

Remote control

Wall mountable speakers or able to be put on a wall bracket

The room is a bit odd and open to another room, but its nothing too bad. Most things will work.

Doesn't need too much SPL due to listening position, but dynamics are key

A little boom and sizzle is ok, but nothing over the top

Wide soundstage

I'll help him place things and set up connections. I'm not including wiring and brackets into the budget. We'll figure out that stuff later on. He's heard my system and loves it (what's not to love?). I was initially thinking Rega Brio and R1s (if I could get him to stretch his budget a little bit), but the lack of a remote killed that idea. The Mira is more than his total budget.

I'm also thinking NAD 315BEE/320BEE/720BEE from Spearit sound or DMC. A tuner isn't a priority, but it wouldn't hurt if the cost is minimal. That paired up with Image B15 monitors could make a very good system.

Other speakers I was thinking about are Epos ELS3 and Focal 705. Not sure about how they'd pair up with stuff in this price range.

What do you guys think? I'm trying to point him in the right direction and could use some help myself. I haven't kept up with who's got what in this price range for a while now.

I think this one has Chris Molloy written all over it

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2367
You know I'm going to suggest your brother throw in two $50 bids to win a pair of Beta 20 from the Harman ebay store.

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_beta-20_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZ15QQfclZ3QQfro mZR10QQfsnZHarmanQ20AudioQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsubZ10225969QQsaselZ26519532QQsofpZ0

But there are some other nice deals on speakers.

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/499b70680087f5322740ac100341066c/Pro duct/View/2823&2D1

http://www.tsto.com/cgi-bin/TSTO.storefront/499b70680087f5322740ac100341066c/Pro duct/View/2823&2D1

Some deals on receivers/amps too.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5001/Marantz/SR5001-recei ver-90w-x-7ch-HDMI-home-theater-surround-CLOSEOUT-/1.html

http://www.jr.com/harman-kardon/pe/HK_3490/

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio_Stereo-Receivers_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ1022 5970QQftidZ2QQtZkm

http://www.spearitsound.com/Cambridge_Audio/Cambridge_Audio_540av2.asp

Gold Member

Post Number: 2368
I kind of skipped over that "wall mountable" business, is that essential?

If it is, then these might fit the bill

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=clr_bookshelf%26i tem%3D53CW0120AA101

I haven't actually heard these, but I have heard a Cambridge Soundworks HTIB that was very good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2369
...But your first choice of NAD/PSB ain't too shabby.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2370
The Beta 20 are rear ported, so they might not actually work well, and they are friggin' big & heavy, so 86 the 20s.

The front-ported P152 or P162 might be a bit better suited, and the price is right.

http://www.brandnamez.com/p-2579-monitor-audio-bronze-br2.aspx

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2122
I like the CA 540A over anything comparable by NAD. I've heard them side by side and prefer the CA sound. They look nicer too, but this is just my opinion.

I've dealt with Spearit before and it was a positive experience.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3174
Chris,

Thanks for the links. Wall mountable or on a shelf/pretty much against a wall is essential. He doesn't want something his daughter is going to knock over in a year or so and hurt herself and/or damage the speakers. I definitely think that's a good idea. Might as well get the right thing now than have to rethink it relatively soon.

I've heard the Cambridge Sound Works speakers in the past and thought they were pretty good. We'll research them a bit.

Totally forgot that Spearit carries Cambridge electronics. That definitely changes things.

Thanks a bunch for your links and advice.

David,

Have you heard MA and Cambridge together? What are your thoughts regarding synergy? What about the overall sound - forward, laid back, bright, warm, etc. I could see that going either way.

I haven't heard Cambridge in a while, so please correct me if I'm wrong... They're pretty much between NAD and Rotel - Not as forward and aggressive as Rotel, a bit more polite so to speak; not as warm and laid back as NAD. Is my memory correct?

A good thing about Cambridge is that their new DAC (DAC Magic) would be an easier sell than a new CD player and would benefit a bunch of sources.

Anyone have any insight on the Focals and Epos, and more specifically how they'd pair up with either an NAD or Cambridge entry level integrated?

I really think he'd like the NAD/PSB combo, but he may like the Cambridge presentation a bit more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2372
Your take on Cambridge is dead on.

I did have a pair of MA R90 paired with a CA 540A that worked real well, but I have to say, I think the Marantz SR5001 & BR1 or 2 (I think they're both wall mountable?) might be the way I would go if I was committed to spending a few more bucks, or if HT was in my future.

The other route is the HK & P152 or P162, the HK3490 has a lot of bells & whistles that I like, and undoubtedly offers the best value with no (not virtually no) compromises.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2373
The MA BR1 is rear ported, so cross that off your list.

Those Cambridge Soundworks speakers might best fit the bill. I know they're wall mountable.

I was also looking to see if any of the Boston Acoustics CR series speakers were still available; they're very good, and wall mountable, but they've all but disappeared from the marketplace. Onecall was practically giving them away last year.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2374
Here is a MUCH better deal for the HK3390 (80wpc vs. 120wpc for the 3490)

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make-a-store/item/HARHK3390%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 %20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%2 0%20%20%20%20%20%20%20/Harmon-Kardon/HK-3390/1.html

..a steal, I'd grab it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2375
That HK3390 and a pair of P152 will make sweet music for a pittance.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2376
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/404infinity/

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2123
Stu,

I was running my MA RS6 from my CA 540R receiver for awhile. While this obviously wouldn't be the same as running them off a CA integrated, the 540R is rated for 100w for stereo and does have the CA "house" sound. I actually thought the combination sounded quite good. The CA tamed the aggressiveness of the RS6, and had a somewhat pleasant, laid back presentation. As a frame of reference, the RS6 on a Rotel was nasty.

I'm eventually going to pick up one of the CA DACMagics. I'm a bit of a fan of CA :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11618
Stu, that 3390 should be ordered right away!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2377
...however, I forgot that J&R has free shipping on the HK3490, so the difference might not be that great when all is said & done.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13353

I'd take the HK receiver and pair it with some Magneplanar MMG's.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3569
NAD C325BEE and a pair of Focal 705Vs or Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s if the Focals take you over budget.

Job done.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3177
Frank,
Have you heard the Focals with Cambridge gear? Thoughts?

All -

I gave my brother in law links to all the stuff, and he really likes the looks of the Focal 705Vs in the Amanti finish. They're probably the best looking speakers I've seen in a long time, right up there with Sonus Fabers IMO.

I'm thinking the 705Vs with a Cambridge 540A. The 705s are $500, and the 540A is $300 from Spearit Sound. A little more than his budget, but I'm pretty sure I can get him to spend the extra money.

It may be a little selfish of me, but I want him to get some gear that I'm interested in too. Not that I'm not interested in the other stuff, but I really want to hear the Focals in the right space with the right gear. Maybe I can get him to bring them to my place (about 2 hours away) after they're broken in so I can hear them in my system. Hopefully he won't wait around too long to get the stuff.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2125
I've wanted to hear the Focals for a long time.

Love the Amanti finish.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8975
Keep in mind the Wharfedale Diamond speakers from STO...front ported and sound pretty darn good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2378
I like the Amanti finish too, the sound, well they're good, perhaps even very good, but I wasn't really moved by them; and yes, I think they were running through Cambridge gear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2379
Art, how about a few words about the Primus P152? Any chance of a 2-ch. review?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8976
Still have mainly been used as rears in the HT. Not sure when I'll get time for full 2 channel listen...fighting the flu this weekend.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2126
Same here Art... I've had the flu from hell for 3 days now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2380
I had it bad about 3 weeks ago.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2127
Fever, chills, aches, cough, congestion... the whole bit. You have that Chris?

The plus side is I've spent a lot of time home listening to music.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2381
I had a 101-degree fever for about 4-5 days, bad chills, fatigue, scratchy throat, but not a cough, and no sneezing; I missed a weeks worth of work.

I wound up on antibiotics because these things have a tendency to evolve into sinus infections with me, and I couldn't afford to loose any more work.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8977
Sorry to hear it fella's. My wife had it first and then...well you know...geeez.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2129
Definitely going around... my son had it last week, and I knew it was a matter of time before I was down for the count.

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 16
Chris,

"I was also looking to see if any of the Boston Acoustics CR series speakers were still available; they're very good, and wall mountable, but they've all but disappeared from the marketplace. Onecall was practically giving them away last year"

Would the new classic series from boston fit the bill?

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Classic-Series-C126.aspx}

Gold Member

Post Number: 2384
I'm not sure the Classic series is wall mountable, and they might be rear ported. They are also pricey compared to the prices the CR series was selling for.

That being said, if they sound like the CR series, I'd expect them to be very good.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3179
The college I work at had a lot of people sick. A ton of people had sinus infections. The ones who didn't go on an antibiotic ended up with pneumonia.

I took care of it while it was still a sinus infection. The first time I've taken an antibiotic in at least 10 years. My boss was less fortunate than I was.

Chris - Where did you hear the Focals and CA gear?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2386
Sound By Singer in NYC.

Be careful of the bait-n-switch.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2132
What do you mean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2387
I had an incident last time I was there when I felt I was being steered away from what I wanted, more specifically, away from the Gallo's I wanted to audition towards the Vandersteen's.

Which reminds me, Singer said they would call me in a week when the Gallo's would be back on the floor, that was a few months ago.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 19
Just fyi, and my personnel curiosity, the CS is wall mountable via key hole. Also about the ports, i heard people, and i tried it, plugged it with a tube sock and just cut the sub higher. reason why i did this was i was forced to put my cr75 on a bookshelf and found them have a bit of a port noise, haven't heard a professional analysis of this practice, it works for me

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 20
but yea they are pricey, i think i picked mine up for 150 a pair two years ago

Gold Member

Post Number: 2388
I had a pair of CR77 that I think I paid about $100 for. They were very good, superb build quality, but I decided to go a different direction.

Username: Gamelanneal

Post Number: 1
I read the 2-channel post and have started with EPOS ELS minis (4ohm) with a Music Hall Trio integrated amp/preamp receiver (50 wpc). I like the simplicity in the Trio and my listening is mostly Classical and Javanese Gamelan. However the EPOS minis are not knocking me out. I will give them some more time but in the meanwhile, I'm gonna bring the system to some Minneapolis dealers to listen to some Totem Dreamcatchers with the Trio, and I'd like to hear the Magnaplanar wall mounted speakers as well. Any suggestions out there? I don't need deafening loudness, but a live, full sound that will do justice to Mahler 8 and deep gong sounds.
I didn't know I was an audiophile until I tried building a system, and well, there's worse things to be addicted to.
-Neal

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2133
"...there's worse things to be addicted to."

Well said Neal. In the long haul it's still cheaper than a drug habit (although just as compelling sometimes).

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3180
"Sound By Singer in NYC. Be careful of the bait-n-switch."

Aren't these guys the ones who are charging $100 for a demo? I'm not the type of person to go in for a demo and then order online from somewhere else for $10 cheaper, but I just may when it comes to them. Those guys deserve it. I haven't heard a single good thing about them.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11622
I am presently addicted to sleep. Slept 18 hrs yesterday with this damn flu, connected all the wiring this morning, then had a 4 hr nap.
This sucks, keep a bucket in the loo, action all over the place, LOL!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2389
Stu, if they attempted to charge me $100 for a demo, it would have been a very interesting day indeed.

Anytime you want to go listening (and drinking) in NYC, let me know.

Feel better Nuck.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8979
Neal why don't you start a new thread and copy and paste that post into it...give us more focus on your issue.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2135
I know what you mean Nuck. Had a 3 hour nap myself today - and I'm ready to back to bed again.

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3181
Chris -

We'll definitely have to meet up some time this summer for a few cold ones. The Heartland Brewery is a great place. I've been trying to make more time to do things like that, but my job keeps getting in the way. Far more than it should, and for far less money than it should. I'm getting ready for a career change because I'm way too burnt out from my eratic schedule. My current employer has an entry level master's in Physical Education program that leads to NYS teacher certification. Best part is its free for me. I figure I'll bang it out in 3 years. After that, no more weekends or holidays, and a good boost in pay. Every see how much teachers are making in Westchester County?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2392
Congratulations, that's a great move.

Heartland Brewery, great beer, cafeteria food, but with enough beer, who cares?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3182
I've only been there once. Their Bison steak was great, as was whatever my wife ordered. Maybe we had the only good things on the menu. Beer was very good. I've had better, but I guess there's always better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2393
I've had a few burgers there that were pretty forgettable, I think I had a BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich that was OK.

But we're not really going there for the food now are we.

The Beer is very good, the Weissebier was excellent from what I remember.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11628
Stu, where does your BIL stand on the stereo?
Is he gonna have to pony up a coupla more bucks?

Gold Member

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3190
He's gonna pony up a bit more cash for the Focals and CA gear. He's been doing some reading (including here) and is also interested in the DacMagic. He should get the money and gear within a few weeks.

He's pretty anti-credit card when it comes to stuff like this - not just audio gear.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2398
"He's pretty anti-credit card when it comes to stuff like this - not just audio gear."

A man after my own heart, but I wonder, can a credit card debt bail-out be far behind?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11646
Cash is King

Gold Member

Post Number: 2400
Cash was King, I'm betting on Gold.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts