Bookshelf Speaker Suggest for Music Listening

Username: Allanite

BC Canada

Post Number: 8
Using NAD Viso 2 50wpc receiver for stereo music.

Currently using PSB Image 5T, but due to floor-standing size, I have to change to bookshelf speakers to please my wife.

What would you recommend?
Is KEF IQ3 a good choice?

Thx

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8949
Is it to put on a bookshelf? if not the footprint of a floorstander and standmount are about the same.

Do you like your PSB's? If so get the equivalent standmount from PSB.

BC Canada

Post Number: 9
The speaker will be mounted on stands. I thought maybe the bookshelf speakers mounted on stands can be tucked at the corners instead of 2 floor standing speakers that stand in the middle of one wall.

I like the PSB Image 5T to a certain extent. Would prefer to have more details if possible.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8950
Any audio retailers nearby...if so go and have a listen. I am a bit perplexed by your answer around placement. Shouldn't put nearly any speaker in the corner.

BC Canada

Post Number: 10
Unfortunately, those open after working hours are big box stores like visions, futureshop or bestbuy.

If to be placed in a corner, how far should the speaker be placed away from the 2 walls?

Thx

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11608
As far as possible to start, then back them in until the bass sounds muddy.
Then move back out a bit

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8952
So you work every day they are open. Sounds like you don't want to go and listen and prefer if we do the shopping for you.

I can never understand this kind of thread.

Sounds like you are unsatisfied with your present speakers and are shopping for new ones in a way that all but guarantees that you will be unsatisfied with the next ones as well.

If you can afford to take an afternoon off, venture out and listen at the local hifi stores.

We can list a whole bunch of nice standmounts in all different price ranges and for all types of music however we can't tell you whether you will like them.

Bronze Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 11
Haha..............

Of course I will take time off to listen when I have narrow down to a few. I wish I can afford to take time off to listen to many many speakers, if I am that good financially I willl take a week off to listen at 5 high end hifi shop (1 each day).

If I only listen at big box stores, I will probably miss out some good speakers.

I do not ask the community here to shop for me but just provide some ideas then I will begin my listening.

Thx

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8954
Perhaps you'd like to start by doing us the courtesy of giving us a price range and what it is you are looking for in a standmount speaker.

Bronze Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 12
Looking for clear & detail speaker for stereo music (Hope I get the terms right).

Budget below US$800, preferably around US$500 for a pair standmount speakers (price excluding stand)

Either to use with a KUBE-1 subwoofer or purchase another matching subwoofer (if subwoofer needs to be matched to the stereo speakers).

Thx

Bronze Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 13
Is it a fair budget or I should increase my budget to get a pair of decent speakers?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8956
What music do you listen to and how loud do you listen?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8957
How much bass do you need? Will there be a sub?

Bronze Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 14
Listens to mainly pop/soft rock, little bit of jazz. Only during those rare moods listen to Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Queen.

Love to hear clearly the instruments like guitar, cymbals, etc.

On my NAD Viso 2, I turn up to -5db during normal listening and -25 when every one else goes to bed.

Listening room is the living room 16ft by 20 ft (open-end that leads to the kitchen).

Sub-woofer currently kube-1 8" or can use a polk audio psw 100 8". If needed will buy the right sub-soofer.

Thx

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8958
That's a big room for a small speaker to fill. Unfortunately your amp isn't quite up to the Totem Rainmaker or that would be a first choice. It's also over budget. Next choice might be the Rega RS1...won't go real loud but it's very open in the area that you want...also the Totem Dreamcatcher might work.

Silver Member
Username: Rysa3

Houston, Texas

Post Number: 361
Hey Pingster,

I actually have a 16 x 20 room and have a casual listening system in it tnat I enjoy. In general I like my speakers to be driveable by reasonable easy to access power levels ( 8 ohm speakers usually essentially) and that arent too finicky about placement ( this eliminating Thiels in general as an example. Although its hard to find full range quality speakers these days that can do it all, I still am not real big on integrating subs with bookshelfs for 2 channel listening - its tough to get live sound authenticity ( Hone Theater is another story).

Anyway, the Totem recommendations are interesting and they are made in Canada. Depending on your standards, I like Ascend over Axiom, but the Axiom bookshelf offerings ARE worth a listen ( this is a tweeter/high end preference issue in my opinion). Do a,ittle googling - both allow for in home demos.

The Silverline Minuet is my current favorite in the "bookshelf at reasonable money" class. Naim has some nice offerings which I have also demoed, but power takes a bit more center stage with them. Anyone, thats a few speaker recs for you.

Bronze Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 15
Spoke to some salesmen, my Viso 2 seems to be the limiting factor (unable to drive some speakers well - like the totem).

I bought the NAD Viso 2 (integrate receiver & dvd player) because it is visually nice for the living room. This is my 1st compromise, now I think I have to continue to compromise for the speakers.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8988
Correct PS. You need to look for speakers that your amp can drive. There aren't alot of speakers that will be served well by that amp..you're looking at very efficient ones like Paradigm Monitor series (which you already have better than) and speakers such as that.

Honestly I think you are about where you are going to land given your limitations. Again the Rega R1 or RS1'a would have more life and are easy to drive but I doubt they would have the bass you need...only you can tell.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us