Buying a new receiver

Username: Fritosbbqtwist

Post Number: 1
Hey guys - I have done some amateur research around the net in search of a stereo receiver. I have two new klipsch speakers http://hhgregg.com/ProductDetail.asp?SID=n&ProductID=16611&BrandStore=All

And I am planning on getting the Yamaha RX-797 (Roughly about $350).

I am wondering if this receiver will do the job, or if I am over spending/under spending/buying a bad one?

This weekend is when I plan on ordering a receiver so I was hoping to get some confirmation on the Yamaha RX-797, on whether it is worthy or not.

Post Number: 2
Also to note - the main purpose is to play music, but I will be hooking my Xbox 360 sound to my TV, which will then by hooked into my receiver, resulting in the sound coming out of the speakers.

Can that cause any harm to any of my products? The main purpose like I said will be music, but I also will be using the speakers for games and movies (occasionally, biggest concern is music).

Bronze Member
Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 15
Fritos, I don`t know how much your willing to spend, but the Harman Kardon AVR354 is a nice receiver. Easy to use and operate, has the current codecs for Blu-Ray, check it out.
http://www.hometheaterreview.com/equipment-reviews/video-reviews/av-receiver-rev iews/harman_kardon_avr_354_av_receiver_reviewed001137.php

Post Number: 3
Well, I am looking for less than 450...I only have two speakers - so I get the feeling that a 7.1 channel receiver would be the most pointless thing to get when all I need is a two channel?

I was really wondering if any of the members here had good reviews on the receiver I listed - or if one could be posted that would be similar in price and specs?

Thanks though.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 439
http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/C720Bee.asp

Post Number: 4
Unbridled id - I compared that to the one I posted and I am wondering how it is better (In your opinion atleast)?

I am not an audio genius by any means, but the one you posted his 50Wx2 compared to the 100Wx2, along with a higher THD percentage?

Regarding the Yamaha receiver I posted, are there any reasons I should NOT get it?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2364
Fritos- Wattage and THD ratings are useless, as companies like Yamaha have inflated numbers that mean nothing. If the first watt sucks then so does the rest. Im not saying that Yamaha sucks, but ignore ratings from mass market companies like them. Yamaha make decent sounding AVR's, but IMO come very short to offerings from NAD, Arcam, Rotel,B&K and so on. A 50 watt rating from NAD means that it would normally push with all speakers powered around 50-60 watts per speaker, and sound decent while doing so. A Yamaha rating of 100 watts means that it will only push roughly 40-60 watts per speaker when all speakers are powered, and sound half decent while doing so. Just my opinion. I would take a 50 watt NAD over a 100000000000000003020303030 Watt Yamaha any day. Get my point? Cheers.

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 440
"Regarding the Yamaha receiver I posted, are there any reasons I should NOT get it"?

Yes, the Nad is selling for $399 and has free shipping. Those reasons and I believe the Nad and Klipsch will pair better than the Yammy and the Klipsch

Post Number: 5
That is the type of answer I am looking for haha!

I got another question (here we go).

If I take your guys call on the NAD, approximately how much better would it be then the Yamaha? What I mean is that, whatever receiver I do buy, will I actually get a "bad" one?

You have made me lean towards the NAD that was posted by unbridled.

Do you two have experience with both brands of receivers or just making an inference from one side of the pond?

Would that NAD that unbridled listed be a pretty decent choice for me, or are there others that you might think might offer a better bang for the buck?

I do not want to come off as arrogant, it is just that I want to make the best choice and I value real peoples opinions MUCH more then the sales rep/big companies websites.

Thanks alot for the help so far!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2365
My personal opinion is that NAD sounds much better than Yamaha. That is just my ears however and you may think differently. Ultimately you should be listening to some stuff, if possible. Why do you need a receiver? Why not an integrated amplifier? Just curious. Money matching value, an integrated amp will usually out perform a receiver.

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 441
I enjoy the Nad house sound more than the Yammy house sound. For $399 you get a flexible unit that sounds good. The tuner is good and it comes with a 2yr warranty. Spearit sound is a quality company to buy from as well. I would jump on it before it disappears. I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy the Nad when you get it. It's not the flashiest unit, but as I said it will give you good sound and flexibility for a nice price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Fritos,, I went to Yamaha`s website, and so nothing of a Yamaha RX-797. There is a RX-V795 and 795a, but at 799. Listen, one great VR at your price range exactly, is the Harman AVR 154. Read the review, and get back to me.
http://www.hometheaterreview.com/equipment-reviews/video-reviews/av-receiver-rev iews/harman_kardon_avr_154_av_receiver_reviewed001136.php

Username: Allanite

BC Canada

Post Number: 5
Fritos, you have 2 surround speakers, what are your long term plans?

If you are not going to add more speakers, the stereo receiver is the way to go. I am enjoying my NAD receiver.

If you are planning to add more speakers, you may need an AV receiver.

Post Number: 6
I only plan on having two speakers so a surround sound receiver isn't what I am really looking for (maybe 8-10 years down the road haha!)

I am going to go with the NAD. Seems like you all really enjoy it and so far no one has given it any bad feed back.

I will order it today or tomorrow, but if anyone has else any other suggestions post em up. If I do order it today, when I get it I'll keep you updated on my likeness of it.

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 442
Good sound choice. I think you will be pleased.

Post Number: 7
Should be here tomorrow but IDK if I am going to be home...gah!

Post Number: 8
Let me say the original reason I bought a new receiver is because my old one (14 years old) was thought to be the cause of horrible "scratching" noises coming from my speakers.

Hooked up my NAD and there it is. I had to ship them out and now it will be another month at least before I can even listen to some quality sound.

Bad Klipsch!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Fritos, i hear you, no one likes to send their equipment out for repair, leaves you musicless. But, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Post Number: 9
Yeah...had to borrow my dads two floor speakers since he is receiverless! Haha...

I thought I was going to have to use my computer speakers...eh.

With THESE speakers (Not the Klipsch), receiver sounds decent. The ones I got hooked up are kinda old though so I got to go gentle...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Yeah fritos, I hear you, at least, you do have something to substitute.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us