Audio Issue with Yamaha 663, HD DVR & Samsung HD LCD TV

Bronze Member
Username: Emmy600

United States

Post Number: 13
I've recently encountered a strange issue. I had a Time Warner Samsung HD Cable Box connected to my 52" Samsung HD LCD via HDMI. I have an optical running from the cable box to my Yamaha 663 A/V receiver. When watching cable TV, I had the receiver set to SURROUND DECODE and it would play Dolby Digital 5.1 on the channels that had it (HD channels) and for the 2 channel channels it would use ProLogic. Fast forward 2 months and all of a sudden the receiver no longer plays Dolby Digital 5.1 for those same channels it previously did - now it uses ProLogic for all channels. I did some troubleshooting and discovered that when I pull the HDMI cable out of the TV - then the receiver will play dolby digital 5.1 instead of ProLogic - but of course then I have no picture on the TV. I thought it might be an issue with the cable box so I went ahead and exchanged it for a Scientific Atlantic HD DVR and I still encountered this same problem. I can't connect the receiver to the tv via hdmi because of handshake issues so im at a loss here as to why this happened or how to fix it - any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 590
In the time warner menu Set up under Devices look for digital Audio. There are three choices HDMI Dolby Digital and Other make suren it is set for Dolby Digital and not HDMI.

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 14
Thanks Casey!! I've been going crazy trying to figure this out. Everything is working pefect now!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11573
Attaboy Casey!

Bronze Member

United States

Post Number: 15
Hey guys - have another issue with the hd dvr - now it won't save the setting when i change the digital audio to Dolby Digital - when i turn the power off on the box and back on it goes back to the HDMI setting. And when i turn the power back on it always goes to the remote control programming channel which results in a black screen even though I went into the settings and set Fox Business channel as my "power on channel" -any suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us