NAD upgrade

Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 7
What is an upgrade over a NAD, but still keeping the same characteristics i.e (similar sound characteristics)? Possibly powering MA rs6's. I like the NAD, but is there a step up?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2078
What NAD amp do you currently have Chris? I'd say the next logical step would be Bryston. Speaking from personal experience the Bryston/MA combo is quite good. I've driven my RS6's with a 3B and Bryston monoblocks.

Holden, MA

Post Number: 8
I don't actually have one yet... i've heard the NAD, just looking for other options... i was looking either for the NAD the c270 or c272 or the 372 integrated

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2080
What's the budget?

Holden, MA

Post Number: 9
Used i'm looking to spend around 700-1000 used , i was also considering a marantz receiver (vs. my current H/k 445 receiver), but i really like the idea of an independent amp on the MA

i'm actually on ebay now and found an older bryston 4b for 300 also a NAD 2200 for under 200? i haven't heard either...

Holden, MA

Post Number: 10
I was actually just looking at you profile David, have you ever put the cambridge audio amps with the RS6's? I've read that that works too and the price on the cambridge is realistic... i like a smooth sound from the highs and a punchy quick low, with a clear mid range... i hope this helps, i got the speaker part down, now i just need to power them

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2082
The NAD 2200 isn't even in the same ballpark as the the 4B. BTW, 300 for a 4B is a really good deal - even for an old one! My 3B is 30 years old and still brings a smile to my face.

Yes, I've run my RS6's on my CA 540R (100 watts per channel in stereo mode). I was actually quite pleased with the results.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 11
correction... its an old 4b for 300 looks about 20 years old... does the 4b over the 3b make a difference... too much power... i know about dynamic headroom on an amp, but is there ever too much?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2083
I can't possibly see you needing more than a 3B. My 3B drives my speakers to insanely loud volume with no clipping whatsoever.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3165
There are a ton of companies that are an upgrade over NAD in your price range. Not that NAD is bad at all for the money, but it is what it is.

Bryston has been mentioned, which is more like 2 steps above than one IMO. Your best bet would probably be an intergated amp, unless you're going to get a worthy pre-amp down the road. A power amp behind a weak pre-amp isn't going to be very good. Same can be said for the source.

Between 700-1000 used, also look into -

Naim
Rega
Creek
Arcam
Primare
Simaudio - not coming up used too often
McCormack - going to need a pre-amp down the road
Classe - very few integrateds out there
McIntosh - You may get lucky and find an old integrated like a MA6200. It won't be very new and will have minimal features, but Mac is Mac.

Adcom GFA 5802 - Stay away from other models IMO. This is a Nelson Pass design. Down the road, pair it up with an Adcom GFP-750, which is also a Pass design.

There are tons more out there. I think these are some of the best for the money. They all sound different, and the best one will be a combination of how it sounds to your ears in your current/future system, and the condition of the gear. These are also some of the most reliable gear out there and a very safe bet used, relatively speaking.

Also, stay away from Ebay. Check out Audiogon.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2085
Yeah, stay away from ebay. I bought a NAD 2150 once on ebay and it arrived in a half-taped crushed box with about 20 pieces of Styrofoam popcorn, with the amp all crushed to sh!t and not functioning. The sellers response? It was fine when I shipped it, make a claim.

Had better luck with Audiogon.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3168
Also, I've heard there is a big difference between the non-ST and ST series - ie 3B to 3B ST. Not so much of a jump in performance between the ST to SST.

James Tanner (VP of Bryston) described the jump from the original to ST as revolutionary, whereas the jump from ST to SST was evolutionary.

If there's an ST for not much more than a regular amp and you can swing it, that may be the way to go.

I haven't compared them side by side to give a personal opinion.

Also, there's not much difference between the 2Bs (not 2B-LP) 3Bs and 4Bs. The only difference is power. If you have demanding speakers, then you may notice the difference. If they're not difficult to drive, you probably won't hear any difference. The 7Bs are a different amp. Part of that is they are fully balanced, whereas the ones below it aren't.

Just some food for thought.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 609
The gentleman I purchased my 3B-ST from also had a 4B and he said that the 3B-ST actually sounded better than the 4B and if you can believe it found the 4B a little to powerful for his PSB's which are 6ohm nominal and quite efficient.

All I've heard is that the ST was a real step up. I'm very happy with mine.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11581
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/116692-perreaux_pre_amp_and_power_amp/

Deals like this can happen.

Bronze Member

Holden, MA

Post Number: 17
Honestly, i'm new and never heard of perreaux or ever heard it. Sorry. Cleary , descent if you are posting it Nuck. What are they like?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us