Subwoofer stands

Bronze Member
Username: Chrisgwd

California

Post Number: 28
I recently ordered a pair of Selah Audio Whomp! subwoofers. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the subwoofer feet. I've looked at three options so far:

1. Selah Audio origionally recommended rubber feet from Loews.

2. I later spoke with Noel at Skylan stands about speaker stands. He recommended using hockey pucks. His shop is in Calgary, Canada. Its much easier to find hockey pucks there than it is here in California.

3. So then, I considered these:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/ambackissues/vibrapods.htm - they are only $6 a piece, slightly more than a hockey puck and easier to find.

But, I wonder what the goal is for a sub or speaker? or what the general experience is...

How far up off the floor might you want to get a sub?
Is Isolation from the structure more of a concern? to "float" the enclosure in free space?
or, would a foot that absorbs driver impact be more of a concern? and make the sub less precise?

I have hardwood floors.

I may have to experiment, but would like a leg up if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8847
If you want to use hockey pucks they are very easy to find...just use you favorite web browser and type in "hockey puck". Tons of places to buy them. There is also the Auralex Gramma. Vibrapods...not so much.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2062
You have to come to Canada to find hockey pucks.

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 29
David,

You mean you guys don't export them??? You can't keep a corner on all the good audio tweaks now.

If you remember, I was up in Ottawa last year this time. I was way too busy with work to check out any of the local audio shops. I ended up settling on the Selah Audio speakers anyway. I have a Sardonyx center channel that I am very happy with. This will expand out the system.

I think I am going to get the subs up and running before playing with the feet. A few hockey playing co-workers pointed me at a local shop that carries pucks (there aren't many around here). I think I'll try those, maybe mod them a bit, maybe try the Auralex stands. Half the fun is in experimenting.

Thanks guys!
Chris

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2065
Ah... but they won't be Canadian hockey pucks (unless the local stores import them). Everyone knows that the Canadian hockey pucks have superior audiophile attributes. And they're covered under NAFTA.

The Selah speakers look interesting. I've never heard of them...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2066
I remember now! Next time you're up here drop me a line.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11571
The pucks are the best but the cups go south...

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 30
Hey Nuck...Nice to hear from you!

I decided to go with the pucks based on the advice from both the speaker designer and the stand designer for the monitors. I managed to find some locally. They were a whopping $1.25/each. I think I'll focus my next small pot of money on room acoustics control. I am looking at Bass Traps and diffusers.

Any advice there guys?

My plan is to get my new speakers up and running, broken in; invest in a few key acoustic treatments; then have a little fun measuring the room, etc. see where it leads.

David, nice to hear from you, too. Actually, it looks like I may be up your way the summer after next as things are currently planned (for work for a month). We'll see.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2097
Sounds good Chris, drop me a line when you're here!

Bronze Member

California

Post Number: 31
So guys...I found some pucks...:-)

And...if your interested, you can see the speakers here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=65157.0

Rick Craig of Selah Audio posted some pictures before he packed them up for shipping. I am expecting them to arrive Monday 3/2. There are a pair of monitors and a pair of subs.

I can't wait...:-)

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 669
Beautiful looking sub Chris. Nice looking finish...lots of WAF.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2198
Very nice Chris. I have the same stands.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us