Is this a good receiver?

Username: Faron

WA United States

Post Number: 1
JBL Harman Cinema Vision CVR-700 7.1 Home Theater Receiver 5 DVD

I have a chance to pick it up for a few hundred bucks brand new though I really don't know much about these things.

All my speakers are Klipsch.

I appreciate your input.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2063
It looks like a HTIB receiver ("home theatre in a box"). It's probably not worth very much. Save your money and buy an entry level Yamaha, Pioneer or Onkyo instead for like 100 bucks more.

WA United States

Post Number: 2
Thanks David, I appreciate it. I've been doing a lot of reading on here I'm thinking of going with the Onkyo TX-SR806 the only question I have about that unit is, are the watts per channel a true 130 each?

Thanks again!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2067
Most mass market HT receivers overstate their ratings. I don't know if Onkyo do, but Yamaha, et al do.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2353
Faron- regardless of watts, the Onkyo806 will blow the doors off that JBL HTIB. David is right though, the Onkyo I think overstate it a bit. But not that much. Not like the Yamaha's/Pioneers do.

WA United States

Post Number: 3
Thanks David and Nick for your input. I'm looking forward to hooking it up then cranking it up! :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2071
Nice! Did you pick up the Onkyo?

WA United States

Post Number: 4
Yes I did a friend is stopping by after work to give me a hand hooking it up as he knows more about it than I do. I'll let you know what I think afterwards.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2074
Congrats! Glad you didn't buy the JBL.

WA United States

Post Number: 5
This system is amazing! Setup went quickly my friend was salivating while hooking it up. The sound is very crisp I couldn't be more pleased indeed :-)

Thanks everyone!

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 612
Hey Faron, a big congrats to you. I've got the Onkyo 805 myself, last years model. I love the receiver and have subsequently stepped up my HT setup by running a Bryston 3B-ST with the Onkyo powering my two towers. The system is now even better for HT and I'm very happy with it for music.
You can do lot's with that 806 and they are a serious looking AVR..good for you!

Bronze Member
Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 16
I agree with everyone here. Onkyo is a well made, reliable and dependable receiver. Easy to use, and they sound great. I look forward to what you think of it, after its installed and working.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us