Help

Username: Mikelt79

Ny

Post Number: 1
Ok folks so I am one of the new guys to this whole audiophile world and was hoping that someone would be able to make some sugestions with out passing to much judgement on the uneducated (audio speaking).
I am looking for some qualtiy stand (bookshelf) loudspeakers. I plan to spend between $300 and $500 dollars. I primarily listen to a wide range of music including folk, rock, electronic, jazz. Mostly stuff with good melody and a wide range of highs and lows. I have yet to pick out an amp and plan on primarily spinning vinyl. I had my eye on a pair of wharfdale diamonds and looked at a pair of paradigms as well. Any sugestions from personal experience. I am looking for warm, with crisp highs and that all over your body sound if that makes sense. Thanks alot!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8796
Watch the Infinty Beta 20 thread. A bunch of standmounts in your price range will be discussed there.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 883
Here are the reviews done well, by the pros.

http://awards.whathifi.com/winners_details.cfm?id=13

http://whathifi.com/BestBuys/Hi-fi-speakers-BestBuys/Speakers/

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8798
Looks like there may be 2 speakers there in the op's budget. Not sure if you know this James but whathifi is considered a joke in the audio community. Over at my thread we never for a moment considered that we were giving professional reviews. However it may be a place where someone can ask questions about many of the speakers in the op's price range and get some first hand observations.

Seems like you didn't want another member to treat you disrespectfully on another thread, live by the same creed.

Bronze Member
Username: Kbear

Post Number: 90
I sometimes browse WHF's website, but I don't buy the mag. Thing is that they do hand out some bad reviews, which is something I like to see. Certain other publications never (or almost never) do. They will tell you it's because they only review good gear, which may be true, but there is still something reassuring about reading a review that just feels honest and frank.

The problem I have with WHF is that their reviews are so brief that it's not worth paying for the mag to read about the products that interest you.

To me there is nothing wrong with professional reviews as long as you remember you are reading one person's opinion with all the flaws that go along with that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us