Rg-6 for subwoofer?

Username: Thenrie

Stafford, VA

Post Number: 1
Can RG-6q be used for in-wall subwoofer wiring? I just wired a room for home theater and ran 14ga in-wall speaker wire to everything before I noticed the RCA jack on the wall plate for the sub. I have never used a subwoofer before and didn't know there were different ways to wire it up. After reading a few threads on this forum, regarding shielding, etc, I thought I should ask for some advice before closing everything up. I happen to have RG-6q available and wondered whether I should stick with the speaker wire, switch to RG-6, or get something else. My amp/tuner is an Onkyo TX-NR1000, which I believe can be wired for a sub at line-level or pre-amp-level. I don't know which is better.

Tony

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 584
Witha RF to RCA adapter connecting the RG6 cable will work for a sub or as a digital cable.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11516
Yes, the RG can be used for internal wiring.
be sure to gound the shield at the source and use the twisted pairs as black and white,
Vist the loal Ratshack for plugs to get started

Username: Thenrie

Stafford, VA

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys. I have run the RG-6Q inside the walls and above the ceiling to wall plates at both ends of the room, so that one can put the sound/video equipment at either end of the room (depending on whether one uses a projector or a big-screen TV). The wall plates for the sub (purchased at Lowe's) have a screw-on connection on the back side, and an RCA female on the front (room) side. I connected the RG-6Q with screw-on connectors, like used with cable TV. That should ground the shield to the connector sufficiently and allow the sound equipment to be connected to the wall plate with a regular RCA sound cable at one end of the room and the sub to be plugged into the wall plate at the other end of the room with the another RCA cable, keeping the exposed runs of cable at a minimum. We'll see how it all works.

Thanks again for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us