Focal polyglass and polykevlar brand new burning smell

OK, I have only dealt with focal for a short time and I just bought 1 set of 130k polykevlar (front) and one set of 165v2 polyglass (rear).
I am running them with a PPI pcx 480 (also new). I got a burning smell out of the front ones for a while and now it seems to have gone away. I just put the new polyglass ones in the rear today and again i am getting a burning smell. Is this normal for brand new high end components????? please let me know.

Hugh Cox
a burning smell is never normal for any high end component unless there is something wrong. heck, it's not normal for even low end stuff. Check the polarity, check the if your amps can handle your speakers, see if they can handle your speakers' impedance. Are your units running hot? Are they clipping, are the transformers, power supply, etc. near anything combustible? Check very closely, burning smells are not normal for anything other than a barbecue grill or a stove or a lantern or a ...well, you know what I mean....peace
---------------------------------
the search for audiotopia goes on....

david
I checked polarity and everything was fine... How do i check to see if my amp can support the speaker impedence? The pcx480 was used at 2 competitions I went to to push 3 focal sets each... I would sure hope an amp that nice can power them.

Hugh Cox
I'm thinking this is a car stereo??? I believe the PPIs are rated at 160 watts into 4ohms and is also 2 ohm stable. Your focals are rated at 120 watts and 4 ohms. And PPIs are usually constant in putting out a lot of power, so your focals are probably not going to last too long. I'm also thinking you are probably heating the area where you mounted the amp, check that and find out how hot the amp is getting. Those PPIs can get hot...is it in the car??? Also if it was in competition, (IASCA??? are they still alive?) It must have been driven pretty hard and those focals can't handle a higher wattage than what it's rated for an extended period. I agree, those PPIs are excellent and quite efficient, but you may need to get speakers that can handle more power

---------------------------------------
the search for audiotopia goes on

This 480 puts some of the cleanest 4x80 watts at 4 ohms i have ever heard... It sounds better than any highs I have ever heard in my truck with those 2 focal sets. I don't really know much about clipping aside from it is distortion. The amp heats up after running about 10-15 mins playing without the sub (only highs and mids) at about 130-135 decibles... which is still clear sound. I put 2 aoutomatic 140cfm fans on just this amp alone so it doesnt heat up much past about 120F... if it gets that hot. I would appreciate any incite ppl can provide. Again, I am having trouble with a Precision Power PCX480 (80x4 at 4 ohms) pushing 2 focal component sets with slight to moderate burning smells coming from the speakers. I checked speakers very closely and they are still shiney as ever and look new.

David McLauirn
I have the gain on the amp turned down to about half... could that be a problem?

David McLaurin
Also, these focals and amps have never been in a competition. They are strictly for private enjoyment
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us