Monitor Audio VS. B&W speakers

shaun6142
Anybodys opionon on which would be better, Monitor Audio Silver Series, S8s for fronts, S-LCR for center, and FXis for surrounds, OR B&W 600 series, 604 S3 for fronts, LCR600 center, and DS6 for surrounds, I can get either set up for around $2500. Looking for last speaker standing. Thanks

Hawk
shaun:

I don't feel either is "better" as they are both very high quality speakers which should give you years of great sound, but what amp or receiver do you have driving these proposed speakers? It really makes a difference as the MAs are much brighter and more forward sounding than the B+Ws. I love both, but you need to match them to the right electronics.

Tell me what you got and I will tell you what to get! (Sorry--couldn't resist laying that one out there).

Cheers.

elitefan
I agree with Hawk. Both are great lines. Tell me what receiver you have and I will tell you exactly what to buy![take that Hawk!]. I have Monitors with an Elite45. Great combo.

shaun6142
Well at first I thought about going with 4 ohm speakers like the Axiom Epic 80 system, but since Im venturing into 6-8 ohm speakers my choices are broader with A/V receivers. Two receivers that I had considered are the Onkyo SR701 or the H/K 7200. Would either of these be ok, any suggestions???

Hawk
Both are nice receivers. I think the H/K is a much better receiver, though, IMHO.

elitefan
Why are you comparing the Onkyo701 to the H/K7200? These receivers are not comparable price wise. The fairer comparrison would be the Onkyo800 or the new 801 or even the 900. The 7200 lists for 1700$ so look at the more expensive Onkyos or the Integra line like the 7.3 or 8.3.

shaun6142
I am comparing the H/K 7200 because I can get it for about $1350-1400, and just wanted to see the difference in quality between Onkyo and H/K, if the H/K 7200 is much better than the Onkyo 701 than Ill go with the H/K, however if they are comparable than Ill go with the lesser costly Onkyo. Besides I dont believe that it would be such a bad mistake to buy the more expensive H/K if it performs better than the Onkyo, its kinda hard to put a price on quality, actually I really havent ruled out the NAD T762 either.

shaun6142
Besides I took this post a totally different direction, I should be over in receivers now, not speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us