Looking for a receiver - NEW at this!

Silver Member
Username: Mrskullz1

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 981
Hey guys, i am new to the home theater setups. I was told to first buy a nice receiver and by the speakers sepearate for the best audio. My budget would be about 300 the most for a receiver.

I cant be to sure if this is a very low budget but i would really appreciate anybodys help.

I really want a receiver that can decode video AND audio HD. I looked into Onkyo but i know all the ppl at ecoustics have much better brands to offer than the mainstream ones.

I would also appreciate it if you can let me know if there are any speakers that would compliment the receiver

Appreciate anyones help.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12278
Firstly, with a budget of $300, forget the high end boutique brands. Onkyo is fine. I use an Onkyo TX-NR906 myself and lvoe it. It received editor's choice awards from numerous reviews (actually the model under it, the 876 did. the 906 just adds internet connectivity, and some better internal bits.) For your budget look at the Onkyo models such as the SR606
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr606-black/4505-6466_7-32956253.h tml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

It's just a hair over your price range but with some shopping around using google shopping and amazon, youo should find it close to the $300 mark.

Personally I'm a big fan of Onkyo. I've used their gear for 20 years now, and always been very pleased. In fact that 20 year old gear still works as well as my new stuff does. Their price point is also a winner as they come in under Denon, usually with superior features.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 983
Thanks Glasswolf. I was looking into this product...also the 506 (which i beleive lacks the HD audio processing). I don't mind spending a little over 300 as long as it will fulfill my needs. I was also looking at some yamaha receiverse and was not too satisfied...they seem to be somewhat overpriced compared to the Onkyo..tho i may be wrong.

Overall i have looked into the 606 and don't have a problem purchasing it. You yourself are a very reputable source on ecoustics and i really appreciate your help and advice.
Would you happen to know any speakers that would compliment this receiver tho? I am looking for 5.1...i don't think i really need a 7.1 hookup

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man_jack

Santa Maria, California United States

Post Number: 546
I don't have anything to add, other than I agree with GlassWolf, I too am a big Onkyo fan, you can't really go wit ha better system for the price. all i've ever owned is Onkyo and I love it

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 985
thanks for your input..i also posted in the speaker forum to see if someone can refer a great match

thanks again

Platinum Member

Raccoon City, MI USA

Post Number: 12283
oh man.. speakers are a whole different beast. The thing about speakers is that audio is very subjective. Wth an amplifier, you want it to be transparent, so it alters the source material as little as possible with the processing. With the speaker, it has to sound "right" to your ears alone.
I can recommend a few to look into, but you really should audition them yourself to decide.
For a sat/sub setup in 5.1, Energy has always made me happy. In fact if you can find a used Energy Encore 5.1 system, snatch it up. They retailed for $1500 new back around 2001, but should be had for cheaper now if you find someone unloading a set. They are fantastic speakers. AR I believe also has a set more reasonably priced called the Take 5.2 I believe. In any event I'd suggest a satellite/powered sub setup if this is mainly for HT use and not critical music as the primary use. For music, go 2.0 and stick to a pair of good mains instead of a 5.1 setup.
Also, if you have a smaller room, 5.1 is surely all you really need. Anything 7.1 like bluray can be downmixed to 5.1 anyway.
Prior to BluRay and HD DVD with Dolby TrueHD and so on, there really wan no true discrete 7.1 anyway.
normal DVDs are all DD/DTS (5.1) or DD-EX/DTS-ES (6.1) where 7.1 is just a mono rear channel signal split between two speakers to make 7.1

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 989
Thanks Glasswolf...i don't need a 7.1 setup. My living room is not that big...i have seen a Onkyo HTK240(something like that) which is a 6.1 setup...they retail for 650 but Amazon has a sale for 298...the receiver they recommend for those speakers is also the SR-606.
I need to get this whole setup within the next 2 weeks so that is why my budget is really low. If there are any other speakers that you would recommend for me to jump on with a 300 speaker budget, please do let me know.

Again, your input is highly sppreciated

Platinum Member

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12287
really, go to local shops and audition speakers. see what you prefer.

Silver Member

Brooklyn, New York

Post Number: 990
will do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us