Good amp for low volume listening

Username: Tyreal

Post Number: 2
I'm new to the audio world, but I'm looking for advice on which would be the best amp for listening to movies at a low volume (10% used for music). Are there certain stat's I should be looking for?

Examples:
• Should I get a 1000wat amp apposed to a 700watt? Because the more power to each speaker, the lower you can have the volume and still have great quality sound?
o And what about the speakers to match the amp? If its 700wat amp for 7.1 systems, should I be looking for max 100watt speakers?
• Is there a "better" company for dynamic range compression? So I get less ear fatigue.

I'm also looking for excellent video processing power for future "proofing" (things like deep color, etc.). Any suggestions are welcome (price range for amp: up to $1500, preferably lower)

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13284

Your questions are not realistic. If you are so new to audio that you are asking questions that cannot be answered without pages of explanation, this forum can't help you as much as will a visit to a good audio dealer. You sound like you might be familiar with car audio which means most of what you know will have to be unlearned for home audio.

Do you have any independent audio retailers in your area?

Post Number: 3
I've been to local A/V shops (Bleekers and Audiotronic), but at both places the sales reps basically said anything would work for me... they were willing/recommending anything from $500-$2000. I also tried best buy and future shop which wasn't helpful either...

Unfortunately I'm new to this city, so I don't know where exactly to go to get good advice.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13287

What city?

Post Number: 4
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Username: Bob_ralph

Post Number: 2
Stereo Plus in Orleans

The Audio Shop on Bank St

Signature Audio-Video in Kanata

Distinctive Audio on Carling (very high end)

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13291

Thanks, BR.

Does that help, Tim?

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2293
Where is David at? Tim, im a stone throw away from you. Welcome to the forum, good to see another Ontario native. Ecoustics is becoming populated with them. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 578
I believe Dave's been in Bleekers. That's where he auditioned the Sinclair Audio speakers that got me on this forum.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11429
Unityaudio.ca

Napean

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the replys and the welcome .

I'll hope that one of the recommended stores will have a good sales rep when I go this weekend.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13293

I would suggest you call ahead and ask to speak to the store manager. Tell him/her what you are looking for and ask for an appointment with a salesperson who can explain what you need. This should be an appointment for a quiet weekday afternoon/evening, not a busy Saturday. You have a lot of ground to cover and this cannot be done well on a busy day where you will tie up a listening room and a salesperon for large chunks of time. Bring along a few examples of the music you listen to and then also allow the salesperson use what they prefer to demonstrate the basic differences between products. Don't be afraid to ask questions but be prepared to do a lot of listening.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

NW, MI USA

Post Number: 12311
and do your research before you go in and rely on a salesman. remember he usually works on a commission.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1995
How did I miss this thread?

Stereo Plus is right down the street from me (int the east end). I've bought most of my stuff from them. Very knowledgeable and will take the time to talk with you and audition stuff. Phil in particular is a lot of fun to deal with since he's passionate about music and really gets excited when talking about good audio. They mainly carry Bryston, McIntosh, Arcam, Totem, Paradigm and Def Tech.

The Audio Shop on Bank Street (downtown Ottawa) is also very good. They have a more diversified line of gear. Stuff like Rotel, Cambridge, Sim Audio, B&W. Marc is the guy I usually deal with there. Again, he'll take a lot of time to talk to you and let you try stuff out.

Unity Audio does (as far as I know) mail order and internet direct. They will do showroom stuff by appt only I believe.

Planet of Sound is also on Bank Street (but in the south end). They are a little more esoteric and high end, with (to me) a preference towards the analog end of things. They carry Harbeth, Rega, Creek, Quad, etc.

Shoot me a PM if you get a chance Tim!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1998
What part of town are you in Tim?

Yup George, I've been to Bleeker many times. That's indeed where I checked out the Sinclairs. They have some interesting stuff in there sometimes - I've even seen a second-hand McInstosh in there (rare here in Ottawa). They also have a lot of Tannoy stuff as well as the Sinclairs. I wouldn't go in there expected a lot in the advice department, though, unless you're looking for a dishwasher or a refrigerator.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11430
I havn't heard Tannoy in a long time.

Still pretty good?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2002
I liked mine when I had them. Mind you, there were just entry level Tannoys but they were quite musical and warm sounding.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us