Which of these should I be looking at?

Username: Summerfest

Waterdown, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1
Hello there, first post and I must say, great forum.
I honestly thought I could actually think my way through this but apparently I cannot.
After reviewing all mentioned, I`m simply more confused.
okay, I was a HT guy a number of years ago but now want to have a straight-up 2 channel audio system for my living/dining room for low to medium level MUSIC listening.
here is the tough part, I enjoy anything from Pink Floyd to Celine Dion.
The room is 11 wide, 22 long and 8 high...sort of a traditional "in line" room set up.
I have decided that I would like to stick with NAD equipment as I have a local dealer in the event I need repair.
Okay, here are the choices and I can mix them in any order I like as all these are available to me used and local.
I should be clear at this time that I`m looking for super crystal clear sound that CAN go loud but for the most part, its low level but I like my bass super sharp as well.
I ask you to look at the units available and if asked to assemble, what would you elminate and what would you pair to make the system that I may be looking for.
Please only work with the units mentioned, as you will see there is no tuner in the circle, nor is there a cd player.
Okay, here are the entries.
(all NAD except the pre amp)
C515bee amp
C372 integrated amp
272 amp
318 amp

Rotel RSP-960AX pre-amplifier

PSB Silver i speakers.

Totem Rainmaker Speakers

Okay, thats about it, there are other entry level tuners and cd players that are coming online all the time but the units mentioned above are what really strike my fancy/
Okay, what would you do with those players?
Thanks and I look forward to all replies. please don`t candy coat anything and be honest.
Thanks so much.
Roger

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3138
The 315BEE and 318 will not power the speakers sufficiently IMO. From a sound quality standpoint, they're outclassed by both speakers as well.

I'm not a fan of the Rotel/NAD combo at all. No synergy IMO. They don't bring out each other's best traits.

By default, that leaves the 372. Its a good amp and should power either pair of speakers sufficiently, especially in your room.

I'm also not a fan of the NAD/Totem combo. Something is missing to my ears. I like the Rainmakers better than the Silvers, but I like the NAD/PSB combo far more than the NAD/Totem combo. I used to own a 320BEE and Image T55s. NAD and PSB are owned by the same parent company, and I'm 99% sure they use each other's gear to voice their stuff.

Don't skimp on the source. If the signal is broken from the source end, there's no way the amp and/or speakers can fix it. The NAD 542 is being discontinued and is selling for about $300 from Audio Adivsor (who is an authorized dealer). If your dealer doesn't have any 542s or is unwilling to compete with Audio Advisor's price, go with AA. $300 for that CDP is an absolute steal. It was a great value at its $500 normal price. I haven't heard the new ones so I have no comment on if I think the new ones are worth the extra cash.

All just my opinions. Take 'em as you will.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3139
Sorry, I just realized you are in Canada. That changes the Audio Advisor suggestion. Not sure who's selling the 542s for what price in your neck of the woods.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2225
My dealer is Stu.

Roger- Stu is right, do not mix Rotel and NAD gear. I have tested those waters with horrible results. These are the combo's I would go with. This is just my personal experience however.

NAD 372/542cdp/PSB Speakers

NAD 272amp/162pre amp/542cdp/PSB Speakers.

I also agree with Stu when it comes to the speakers. Totem speakers in most cases, musically, will out class PSB. But if your using NAD gear, the PSB speaker IMO is a much better match. They are owned by Lenbrook, and are voiced together.

Post Number: 2
Well thank you very much for the replies.
I`m not 'stuck' on NAD its just they deal near here but then so do many other dealers.
I do however like the look of them.
As far as the speakers are concerned, I have just recently heard the rainmakers for the first time and did in fact like them.
My biggest concern, hence the interest in the Silvers, is the size of the room and also the availability of the high current amp (318).
I kind of thought that the bigger floor model speaker might fill the room with a much more open and dynamic feel.
In a nutshell I`m looking to spend about $3000.00 on a system which would include, amp (integrated or separate, tuner and cd player....oh and speakers.
So being its only $3000.00 It certainly limits my choices.
Have you any other suggestions for a system in terms of manufacturer for the 3 grand mark or less?
Keep in mind most stuff pops up on local boards for sale at one time or another.
Thanks very much.

Post Number: 3
Hi Stu, thanks for the replies.
You mentioned in your reply that the 318 won`t power the speakers sufficiently?
By that do you with 'clean' power becuase the 318 from what I read on the specs as a VERY powerful amp.
To be honest I was hoping to hear more and read more on the THX certified 318 amp but there is not much talk about it anywhere save for a few scattered reviews.
I figured that it being such a high current amp, it might just be the ticket to drive them hungry PSB Silvers?

Post Number: 4
Upload

Post Number: 5
Sorry guys for throwing so many questions at you but I truly DO appreciate the candid replies.
I do have a local feller selling his one owner Aragon 800st amp for $800.00 including the manual and original box.
Any experiance with this unit and if so what would be a good mating pre amp and tuner for this unit?
I presently have an older Yamaha RX V870 multi channel reciever that I used to use for HT but now just have it in the living room now for two channel.
Its driving paradigm mini mrk3's and was wondering if FOR now I could use that as the pre and the tuner or is that like putting perfume on a pig so to speak?
Thanks again guys, I`m just looking for a SUPER clean sounding system on what some would consider a beer budget or $3000.00.
Thanks
Roger

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11366
Roger, I am sending a pm.

I am very close in Brantford, you can come and listen to my kit as a comparitor, if you like.
I have some stuff that I can sell, etc, but mostly to listen to something different.

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 430
" To be honest I was hoping to hear more and read more on the THX certified 318 amp".

It is an older model this is why you hear so little about it. The c372 will drive the speakers you mentioned as stated above.
You can get the Nad at a discount and devote more of your budget towards speakers.

Post Number: 6
The C372 is an integrated amp which I was under the impression may not serve me as well as say the 272.
I may have read somewhere that it may not produce as clear sound as a separate amp pre amp system.
There is a guy local to me who has a C372 with manuals, box and wiring who will include a NAD T571 DVD/CD Changer for $500.00 total.
Not a mark on either of them.
It striked my fancy because I also wouldn`t mind being able to play the odd concert dvd and putting my little 19" LCD screen on the top of the stereo cabinet and that set certainly would lend itself to accomidate.
Like mentioned, I want a straight 2 channel system but the idea of a concert dvd while people are over would be nice.
Roger

Post Number: 7
Nuck, thats kind of you to offer, which sytem are you listening to?
Roger

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 431
"The C372 is an integrated amp which I was under the impression may not serve me as well as say the 272".

The c372/c272 have the same amplifier section. Now if you want to go with the 272 and a different pre that is a different story. It is nice to have both pre and amp in one box though. Not bad price for the two, the t-571 is an older model but I have not heard anything negative about it. I would imagine the c542 would offer superior cd playback but of course not offer you the dvd option.

Post Number: 8
Would there be a difference in quality by going 272/pre amp as opposed to the C372 solo?
If so can you suggest a good mating pre amp?
On another note, I auditioned some cambridge audio today which consisted of an intergrated amp, a cd player and a set of Moitor Audio Silvers which I found to be beautiful sounding.
Lots of nice rich bass at very low level listening.
Roger

Gold Member

Post Number: 2229
Roger - The Cambridge stuff is very good stuff for the money. The Monitor Audio Silver speakers are also killer for the money. Did the audition today get you to a point where you could just sit back and enjoy the music? If so, buy it. The Silver line of speaker are closer to quality of Totem, and are superior IMO musically to the PSB speakers.

Post Number: 10
Hello NicK, yes, it was wonderful but a little more than what I was hoping to spend but yes, very nice and full of body at very low listening levels.
The person demonstrating the system had his ole faithfull Eagles CD in hand to show off the solid base at the start of Hotel California and it was very rich yet clean.
he demoed a pair of Paradigm Bookshelfs casting almost the same which was out in orbit as far as the bass clarity was concerned......absolutly flat compared to the Audio Monitors.
I have Paradigms now, plenty of them and they didn`t sound like the AR....the Paradigms were about the size of the Rainmakers and were part of the Signature lineup.
Anyways, the Cambridge system was very nice and even nicer to look at, fit and finish looked nice, stacked together with pin point accuracy and gave my son and I the 'honest' smile factor.....you know the smile......the one that comes without being forced?
Roger

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 432
Cambridge is quality gear, what model(s) did you audition? Cambridge is phasing out their 540/640 and updating them. The upper end looks good (740/840). I think Nick makes a solid point, if YOU can sit back and enjoy what you hear that is paramount. Forget brand and all that because it is secondary. If you found the cambridge/monitor combo to your liking then you have an option. As far as c372 compared to c272 and pre, the integrated simplifies things and offers good sound. I mean with the number of brands out there, used and new, the number of potential pairings is quite large.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2231
Yup, lots of options.

Paradigm Signature line I find are fantastic. But cost up near double than that of the Monitor Audio Silver line. I am surprised you did not like them. But hey, to each their own. Which model of Monitor Audio Silver speakers did u listen to? The RS6's should be around 1500. A Cambridge integrated amp and cdp should be able to be purchased for around 1500 as well. I would recommend spending more on the CDP though, but thats me. Then sit back and enjoy the music Roger. Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Hi guys and thanks.
Unfortunatly I didn`t get the models of the Cambridge units but I am going back tomorrow with a couple of cds to listen too for a while.
The Audio Monitors were RS8 or something like that which were floor speakers and the Paradigms were on stands and were in fact part of the signature line.
I should ad at this time though the Paradigm were being driven by an English built system, not sure of the name now so that may have a lot to do with it.
The AM's were on sale from $1900.00 for $1500.00 and the Paradigms were $1499.00.
Anyways, the integrated amp, the cd player and the AM silver 8 combo was $3500.00
here is a photo of the speakers.
Like mentioned, I`m going back tomorrow to relisten with my own music.
Thanks again guys, I truly appreciate it.
Upload

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 433
If you get bookshelf speakers do you have a plan for covering the low end? If not then your looking at a tower seems to be a better idea.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11367
Roger, if you have a chance to listen to the 6's and 8's side by side, I bet you would like the 6's a lot.

Maybe for that kind of money, you might want to check my speakers out.

Sent PM

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks again gents.
Firstly unbridled id, if i do go with a set of bookshelfs i could always use my PS1000 sub (paradigm) but I`m afraid that the base might be over the top.
I know I have said a few times I like my bass, it is true but I like it super tight,deep,defined and unfluttered which I`m afraid the PS1000 might be too much.
For ground pounding punch, the ps1000 is a very nice little unit but I was hoping to find a set of speakers that would give the best of both worlds, crystal clear mids/highs and rock solid and tight bass.
Hey, if I`m going to acheive that with the use of the sub then so be it, I would be very open to bookshelfs and the ps1000, if I cannt find that magic combo then I guess I will steer towards floor speakers like the Audio Moniters etc.
Nuck, He did in fact have the 6's right next to the 8's but the donkey running the amps was a little preoccupied with something and wasn`t focused so wasn`t comparing properly.
Like mentioned, I am going back tomorrow to sit in the demo room and relax with a good tester cd.
Do you have any suggestions as to a good cd to use to perhaps pull all many of the things that might show off the quality of the speaker?
One that has clear vocals, piano and guitar perhaps.
My 18 year old son suggested the new G&R cd as he feels the recording was done very well but his idea may be different from others.
Roger

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1708
Roger, I have a PS1000. Nice for one of my two subs for HT. Not so much for music. You would end up buying another sub sooner than later. Buying towers bypasses trying to balance subs to bookshelves. Having said that, when one can balance a sub with book shelves it works very well. Oh yes, another plug for towers is that you do not have to purchase and tune speaker stands as you do with bookshelf speakers.

Before you spend any money you and your son should take Nuck up on his offer. I know his speakers are very nice and he has a variety of gear to listen to. If something he has strikes you ask him to take it to your place so you can audition it there. He has really fine stuff, just not enough space for it all.

I recently picked up Pink's Funhouse which has quite the variety of music.

Another one to meet your tastes would be Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. Holly Cole would have both vocals and piano. Buddy Guy or John Lee Hooker anything for guitar. It would be best if your brought whatever you have that you are most familiar with also.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11368
Thats some of the stuff that Mike and Jan and I listened to for the last few days, Roger, and lots of folks use a similar selection, lots of quiet spaces, looking for floor noise, etc, through familial rythm sections, then very rapid changes of pace and pitch, sometimes at volume, to test the attack, decay and recovery rate of an amp. In the end, we all just want to tap our toes, in whatever flavour does it for you.

Make sure that you are familiar with the song, not just how it sounds on your kit now, like if you sing it or play it, that helps for me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2232
Roger- Some good info from the guys here. I auditioned the MONITOR AUDIO(lol) RS6's vs the 8's and actually preferred the 6's. This should save you at least a few hundred. There is a Paradigm Signature line speaker for 1500? WHAT!!?? It must had been that little S1. Anyway, you should take Nuck up on his offer, he has great gear, and he can probably save you some money. Or audition the RS6's. I believe Nuck has a pair of the RS6's before they were the silver line. Nice speaker indeed.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1928
I've auditioned the RS6 and RS8 side by each as well, and found the 6's better. I've also heard the Cambridge/MA combo before and found it sounded quite good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Nick and David, I`ll spend the time today focusing on auditioning both the 6 and the 8 using the same amp and the same cd....they have a nice set of leather ottomans in front of the stereo set so I will be able to audition it in a comfortable setting as it is a room set up much like any living room.....and is enclosed so I won`t be bothered by the other customers looking at the clock radio special they saw in the flyer for 2 bucks off.
Actually it is a fairly high end audio/video store that has been in the business for several decades....East Hamilton Radio,
Last night I was researching just about every amp maker out there and one that truly piqued my interest was 'Aragon'.
I did some snooping around reading several reviews and from what I read it actually appears to fill every stage of what I would be looking for.
Seems to be a powerhouse, one that would allow the speaker selection option to be close to endless.
Problem is, is that there isn`t many around here, some, but not many.
Anyone familiar with the Aragon 4004 or the newer 8008?
There is however a gent selling a black 8008.
Awesome styling with a nifty 'V' groove in the top to allow air flow.
Another problem is that no one mentions a good paring for the Aragon in terms of pre-amp or speakers.....or a tuner for that matter.
Wow, this stereo search that I began a couple of weeks back is getting more and more confusing with WAY oo many options,
Jessus, I love them all.
I have to focus and stick to what I`m looking for though and not get off track.
lol
Roger

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1930
Have fun Roger. Yup, the Aragon amps are very cool looking. Never heard one, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks Dave.
Hey, I have to ask this question:
How many people purchase a componant without EVER hearing it operate?
I mean, has anyone thrown out all their advice to others to audition a componant and just buy it on specs and looks alone?
C'mon, it just HAS to happen.
That Aragon is so sexy, I could almost do that....LOL
Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1931
I've done that before. Done the internet direct route before with products like Ascend and Outlaw. That's after doing lots of research.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Hi David, yes 'research', thats the key.
As far as speakers are concerned, I feel thats a different story.
With an amp purchased unheard, one can always listen to speakers to pair with the unit purchased.
Not to mention, speak to others with the same unit to narrow the search.
This Aragon unit appears to be a very powerful amp with the capabilities to which I search.......good strong mids/highs with rock solid bass.
After reading the spec on the 8008ST amp, I think it would require a dedicated 15amp wall recepticle just to feed the demands of the amp alone......
Well, I should get away from this stereo review for a while and get out and listen to some stuff.....its getting too confusing with the endless selections..lol
Roger

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 434
Aragon amps were well regarded when they were an active company. Then they were purchased by Klipsch and allowed to die on the vine (if memory serves me correct). Nice amps, they didn't reinvent the wheel (nor did they claim too). I would focus on the before mentioned combination of Cambridge and the monitor speakers, seems like they have synergy and it is something you are able to hear in person.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11372
And dont forget about the Classe/PSB combo, which can be auditioned with your music in you own home, with DR5 preamp and Velodyne sub. Might have a Rotel 1072 cdp kicking around as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Unbridled.
I agree about the Cambridge/Monitor synergy.
We are heading out in a half hour to re audition the Cambridge/Monitor kit.
Going to stop at the music shop to pick up a Holly Cole CD and Dire Straits cd, may also pick up a joe cocker cd to use for voice clarity......
Heard some Joe Cocker on a NAD system a while back and was jaw dropping....would have never thought that older stuff would have sounded like that but then again Dire Straits isn`t new either.
Can`t wait.
I read somewhere that the newest Nine Inch Nails cd is supposed to be outstanding from a clarity standpoint....I`m far from a Nine Inch Nails fan but if they have a wonderfully produced recording, It may not be a bad idea but in all reality I should audition the music that I actually listen too and that is Dire Straits and Celine Dion and of course the masterfully executed guitar work in Pink Floyds 'Comfortably Numb'.....that stuff sends goosebumps down my back........
Eargasm as it were sir.
Roger
Thanks.
Roger

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 435
You know I have heard that Tool has recorded some good quality cd's. Maybe (if it is your cup of tea) you could bring Lateralus and/or nima.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Nuck, I`m certainly not forgetting that, simply gaining as much knowledge as I can muster in hopes of making the right decision, one where hopfully I won`t second guess myself.
Nuck, if possible could you shoot me some pics, don`t mean to be a pain but would love to see some photos if you can.
email address is:
pigroast@cogeco.ca

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11374
Dude, it is way better to drop by and see the stuff and have a listen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Nuck, you have a pm.
...you DO drink beer don`t you?
Roger

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Nuck, the Rotel cd player you mentioned...
is this it?Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2237
Yup, thats the 1072. Great cdp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
beautiful looking peice to say the least.
Okay, now I`m going to show my ignorance, hence me coming to this forum.
Am I going to be able to get a digital signal from the cd player to the pre amp or with older equipment am I going to be listening to anolog?
or am I just talking smack here?
I was mentioning to my bozo in law a week or so ago that I was stereo searching and he asked if the one cd player I was auditioning had an optical/coax or some other digital output.
he is a big home theater guy, not a two channel guy. no disrespect.
I guess what I`m asking is, am I going to be listening to cds through anolog and hear the drone sounds like what I think of when I hear old led zepplin or old boston....?
Sorry for the ignorance boys.
Roger

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11377
Roger, a standalone cdp is almost always analogue out, as in the digital to analog conversion is done inside the player. As an option, the Rotel and lots of others offer a digital out (sp/dif, coax etc) to send to another DAC.
Stand alone DAC's are plentiful and cheap. One of these will allow digital from file to be converted as well.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Okay, thanks for the reply, we are heading out the door now.
I`ll get back later with model numbers and impressions/
Thanks a ton guys.
Off to East Hamilton Radio

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1711
Roger, to clarify where your bozo in law was going, it is possible he did not know, if you use analog outputs from a source, such as a DVD or CD player you are allowing the source to convert the digital signal to analog, hence the acroynm DAC (Digital Analog Conversion). If you have a very good source you want to use the analog outputs from it. If your receiver has optical or digital coax inputs, then if you use a digital or optical output from your source, DVD or CD player, you are bypassing its DAC and using the one from you receiver. This is normally done with HT set ups, include in this the cable box's or satellite box's digital or optical outputs. Also HDMI outputs from a DVD or cable box allows your receiver's DAC to convert the audio signal.

With the gear you are working with you will want to use the analog outputs into your integrated amp or pre-amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2239
Yup, analog is the way to go Roger. Home Theater or Not home theater, in most cases, using the Digital out on a CDP is silly. Cheers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Thanks alot guys, I truly appreciate it.
Okay, just got back from the audio audition.
Here is how I read it for my tastes.
Went back into the demo room, sales person gave me free reign of the room for as long as I wanted with just myself and son.
Brought along a couple of cds.
the one I felt I wanted to hear for clarity was the new Michael Buble cd cause there is some good orchastra sessions on it.
System reviewd.
Cambridge Azur 840A 120x2 integrated amp.
Cambridge Azur 640CV2 Cd player
Audio Monitor SilverRS5
Audio Monitor Silver RS8
Closed the door, popped the cd in the player.
I thought I would start off with the smaller of the two audio monitors which I thought were Silver RS6's were in fact Silver RS5's.
Keep in mind I don`t know many of the tracks on this cd as its my wifes music of choice so I was looking for clarity.
First thing I noticed on the one track that began to play was the absolute perfect sound of Buble snapping his finger in the intro.
I turned to my son to ask him to stop and he looked at me and said he thought I was snapping my finger.....so right off the bat I felt the clarity.
Redid that same track after switching over the the Silver RS8's.
Honestly found ZERO difference.
Went back the the 5's and let the track continue......found the fives very open yet together and was really impressed how the sound came from not one particular area....very nice.
Went back and did it on the 8's.
Still really found no diff.
Then wanted to hear a little punch so I found a track with a little more action to it.
Only when I pumped the volume did I notice a difference in the low end bass portion of the music giving the nod to the larger 8's.
For midrange I found the 8's a little sweeter but not to the tune of three times the cost of the 5's.
Both very in my opinion almost identical at very low levels.
I then put the Eagles CD in and listended to that gorgeous bass portion at the start of Hotel California from the Hell Freezes Over cd.
Then at medium level the 8's showed the difference in the rich bass and dynamic midrange where I found the 5's almost borderline shrilly......not really but almost borderline where as the 8's showed no signs of that.
So, where is the Silver RS6 review you ask?
Well, they had them in a different room being driven by a HT receiver so the comparision wouldn`t be fair and/or accurate.
I did however go to that room with him with CD in hand to check the 6's.
Keep in mind, home theater multi channel receiver.....I asked the sales person to demo in two channel NO SUB to which he did.
They were lovely but unfortunatly I could not do a speaker to speaker comparison to the 5's and 8's but did notice the base was richer than that of the 5's.
They were very nice.
Would I buy them?....yes but which set?
honestly, probably the 6's.
pricing now.
Amp $1399.00
CD $499.00
RS5 $599.00
RS6 $899.00
RS8 $1567.00.
All of this stuff is claimed to still be on boxing week pricing and from what I see as regular pricing, it might just be.
The stuff normally goes for much more.
Now, here is the take on the amp.
Well, to say that between musical stages is dead quite is an understatement, it was very very very silent between musical stages.....gorgeous dead silent operation but for me it didn`t seem to drive the speakers with the greatest of ease.
I didn`t feel like it was labouring in any manner but I didn`t feel like it was any where near a power-amp but then what the hell do I know, I`m a newbee.
Honest opinion, the sound was impressive, the look is clean and the whole package was something that I would look forward to hitting the start button on a daily basis.
I did in fact love it all.
I did not crank it up to party levels but playing that I did do kind of gave me the impression that its not a powerhouse and may not serve all that well as a true party set.
I have been forward in saying that my listening levels will almost always be low to medium but the odd time as you know, will still like the option of cranking.
Would it do it with ease?....don`t know but for low to med listening, I truly loved it and would be proud to show it off.
Anyways guys, thanks for listening.
Roger

Gold Member

Post Number: 2241
Roger- It sounds like you are on your way to a very nice setup. 120 watts of Cambridge power should be plenty to power the Silver line of Monitor Audio speakers. They are not super easy to power, but not hard to power either. My Bryston 3B, powers my RS6's beyond anything I could ever imagine wanting. Jump on those RS6's as that is basically almost half price as they originally go for. With that amp, speakers, cdp, you should have a little left over for some half decent cables. Cheers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1933
$899.00 for the RS6?

Nick is right, that's close to half of their retail price. When I bought mine last year here in Ottawa they were going for over 1500 brown ones.

Buy them. BOINNNNNG!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Hello David, yes, East Hamilton Radio.
At the corner of Barton and Kenilworth in Hamilton.
telephone number. 905 549 3581
Prices as follows.
RS8 $1567.00
RS6 $899.00
RS5 $599.00
Roger

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1934
I actually used to live in Hamilton a long time ago. King and Dundurn... do you know the area? Not a great neighbourhood, at least when I lived there.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
LOL, its still not a great area...
I live in a little place between Burlington and Hamilton called Waterdown but in the end we pay our taxes to Hamilton....

Gold Member

Post Number: 2247
I know David, can you get over the price of 899.99? An absolute BOOOINNGGG of a deal Roger.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8586
Sounds like the fellas are gaga over the RS6 price...damn good speakers and a bargain at retail, so at that price...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yes, I have to agree with the forum members as the price is half of regular cost.
That puts them well under the cost of the rainmakers and they are a floor speaker which is what I`m looking for.
The sales person assured me they would honor the sale price due to me getting a written quote for a while.
Roger

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1935
What finish are you thinking Roger? The rosenut is by far the nicest one. It's the one that Nick and I both have (correct me if I'm wrong Nick).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1936
Another option is the Totem Arro. These are around the 1k range and sound unbelievably good for such a small speaker. My only concern is that your room at 11x22 my be just a little too large for them. Any thoughts guys?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
Hello David.
they had in stock, a walnut looking color and black.
the actual RS6's that I auditioned in the secondary room were the walnut....very nice...
Probably choose the walnut as the room is full of warm neutral tones.
The room may be 11 x22 but where the system to be located in is in the living room portion which is probably 11 x 14.
Roger

Gold Member

Post Number: 2249
The Rosenut is what I have and are nice on the eyes. Passes the WAF. lol. The Walnut is good too. Never seen the black. 11X14? The Totems would be great in that size I would assume. Depends on your ears I guess Roger. Fun this hobby is.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
The walnut and the black are the only two I have seen.......I havn`t see the rosenut but would like to.
I was quoted about $1000.00 for the totem rainmakers at another dealer last week.......they did sound very nice but was on all different equipment so I`m unable to compare using the same equipment.....what I did hear on the rainmakers, I did like......very nice.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1938
Really hard to go wrong with Totem.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
Well I auditioned another set of componants today and would like to share my limited take on it.
System(s):
Sim Audio Moon i-1 integrated amp
Sim Audio Moon CD-1 cdp
Dynaudio Excite X32 Speakers
(Pathos Classic One MK111 (hybrid) integrated amp.
Alternative Audio, Dundas Ontario Canada.
Setting, older building, 8 auditioning rooms.
Systems range from entry level hi end to well.....Off the Chain end audio.
Told the fellow there 'Chad' my wants and my price point and room layout.
Showed me the system mentioned above execpt for the Pathos, I ASKED to compare that with the i-1 moon.
Anyways, they moved equipment from one room to another and hooked the i-1 and cd-1 to the X32's, guided me to a chest of drawers that was full of every genre of musical cd you can hope for, then handed me the remotes to the system and said 'have a nice afternoon', and to call him if I needed him.....No interuptions whatsoever.
Now, keep in mind I just auditioned the more powerful Cambridge Audio the other day.
Put on a Diana Krall cd and relaxed.
Wow, what can I say....... lovely!.
I didn`t pound the system but got a teenie bit heavy with the volume once or twice.......tons of power and very very very rich and tight bass.
So I flipped through a few more cd,s from the eagles to classical stuff.
I loved it, all of it.
If I have one complaint from this set of novice ears its that I may have found the speaker lacked the oomf in the very low level listening range but as soon as I lifted it 'off idle' it came to life in a very satisfying manner (insert smile here).
Listened to that kit for 45 minutes or so changing songs, volume and position of my body within the room.
Now, for comparison, I wanted to hear the Pathos hybrid integrated tube/ss amp.
The Pathos is double the cost almost to the penny.....
Its 80ish wpc , the i-1 is 50wpc.
he switched over to the Pathos and I played the very same track I last heard on the i-1, I would have loved to have been able to have just switched over with the push of a button to compare immediatly but that wasn`t an option, there was about 10 minutes from the audition of the Moon to Pathos.
Okay as my audition report obviously shows my newbee-ness, I can only tell you what my ears felt and based on nothing I have read or been told.
The Pathos was nice, very nice but honestly I almost felt the i-1 was more definative as far as absolute clarity.
Yes, it did power the speakers a titch easier but to say that I found it miles better or ANY better might be a lie.
It was however able to keep the deeper and dynamic sound at a much lower level than the Moon.
SO yeah, for super low listening levels, it out performed which is a good thing in my place.....if I have my family over for a visit, we will be sitting in the room with the system so the volume level will proably be very low to allow conversation
The Eagles track 'the last resort' sent goosebumps down my back on both amps but I found on the Pathos, the voiced rolled off where the Moon did not, based on the same listening level....mind you, it was prety loud at that time but not stupid loud.
Nicer at the lower end but fell off at the top end.....gotta be tradeoffs I guess.
In closing, I loved both, but didn`t see a huge difference in the performance at medium levels perhaps even giving the nod to the i-1.
BUT, are they the right speakers for the Pathos?....the Dynaudio sure seemed to have right synergy with the Simaudio but perhaps not the best with Pathos....
On another note, the power cable they fed both amps with looked more like a braided hydraulic hose that would look more at home feeding mass quantities of fluid as opposed to electricity.....SWEET.
I hope I haven`t bored you all and I also hope I made a titch of sence here.
Would also like to thank all the guys that have been so kind with all my stupid questions and queries both on the forum and email.......
Roger

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11391
First visit there, Roger?

Been going there for years, fine guys, lots of good stuff.

The entry level Sim that you heard is doing pretty well, the cdp is especially good, they let the better stuff filter down into this model.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
Hi Nuck, yes it was first visit there and the two guys that were there were great......they seemed like they would bend over backwards to make you comfortable which is what they did.
LOL, yeah, some nice stuff there for sure...see that large room thats to the left of the front door walking in....lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 2264
LOL sounds like you prefer the SS sound of the Sim stuff. Sim stuff is fantastic. Sounds like my kind of dealer too, pulling out a big door full of cd's and letting u just take your time listening to music. No pressure sales and a sales guy hanging over your shoulder. These guys sound great. So whats the verdict Roger? You pulling the trigger on the Sim stuff? The Cambridge stuff? Or listening to more setups?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
hi Nick, Well now, i`m still gonna listen to another system or two.
I have to audition Classe yet as Nuck has been so kind to allow me to do with his stuff.
Gotta hear that yet.

Yes, they have cd's a plenty but they also have a full fledge vinyl selection in there as well.
When I first walked in I thought it was a record shop within a audio store....lol
I liked the Sim stuff better than the Cambridge but the speakers on the Sim/Pathos set up were quite different than the Audio Monitors so again, differences.......lol
Roger

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11396
It also helps that the kit in that big room was 185,000$ Rog.LOL!
Gimme a call and drop by Roger, but I am moving soon and the old speakers have to go someplace else, cause new ones be coming in, sub goes too!

New speakers don't need no sub.
Shameless self sales promotional thing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
Well it sure looked like it was worth that, gorgeous!
When are you moving and are you staying in Brantford?
Roger

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Hey guys, a couple of questions for you.
I`m wondering if it will be possible to connect a digital tv cable box to a audio system to enjoy the music channels available on the box.
If so, what should I be looking for in terms of equipment to make the connection.
My wife is a Tech Sales Coordinator at te cable company so we are able to abtain any cable gadgits and gizmos.
Also, iPods, without an aux input on the face of a device, what does one do?, just use a 'Y' adapter at one of the systems inputs?
Thanks again.
Roger

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1723
Roger, you are not going to get a lot of love here for iPods with their compressed MP3 formats.

A Y adapter or a pair of RCAs to a stereo mini adapter would work.

Any device that has analog outputs will connect to your audio system.

Silver Member
Username: Lamcam

Orange County, CA USA

Post Number: 153
I had the Simaudio I-5 and bought the Pathos Classic One Mk II. I compared them side by side. The Sim has more power in the low and more focus in the soundstage. The Pathos has sweeter mid and high and bigger soundstage. I chose the Pathos.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3492
Roger,

Most iPod owners rip their tracks in MP3, and low MP3 at that. Downloads from iTunes are also fairly low (but rising) MP3. It'll be good enough for background listening but I wouldn't want to rock to it.

All you'll need is a 3.5mm - 2 RCA (aka phono) interconnect. The iPod's volume control will still be in the way so if you prefer you could buy an iPod dock with a stereo output. Many of these docks will also recharge the iPod at the same time. In this case, you don't need the interconnect - well you'll need an interconnect but not a 3.5mm-2RCA one.

As for your digital cable box, provided it has stereo outputs all you need is another analogue interconnect, usually 2RCA - 2RCA.

Frank.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us