Hi fi set up Please help

Username: Cla6665

Post Number: 1
Hello everybody new guy here. I would like to ask a few questions in order to help me set up my home stereo. I am into old fashion stereo and I decided to buy a beautiful Marantz 4140 integrated quadraphonic power amp. I already own a set of PolkAudio 50 monitor and a set of PolkAudio 40 monitor speakers and a separate sub woofer. I also purchased a AudioControl C-101 Series Two 10-band audio equalizer, and I have a dvd player soon I would like to upgrade that to} I am not into very high volume music but more into good quality sound. Here are my questions:
How should set up the eq in the system ?
Would a pre amp help with anything and what is it used for?
What should I get to get the best quality sound off the system, a high quality cd player or a pre amp?
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13235

"How should set up the eq in the system ?
Would a pre amp help with anything and what is it used for?
What should I get to get the best quality sound off the system, a high quality cd player or a pre amp?"

The eq should be set to the side. You don't need it and shouldn't want it for high quality listening unless you are using very old source material that requires a readjustment to the RIAA equalization curve. That would only include 78's and a very few early LP's. Otherwise, disconnect the eq.

You have a pre amp, it's the first half of your integrated amp where the controls reside.

Given those two choices and since you do not own a high quality CD player, I would say buy a player.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1859
Do you have substantial CD collection? If so, then a good CD player would be the next step for sure.

Any vinyl?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us