.2 System question

Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 3
In a two sub system, has anyone tried using a small and large woofer sub i.e an eight inch and a 12 inch and cutting them at different frequencies? Would this get the tight bass from the small but still allow for the boom? Or would it sound like junk? or am i totally off and woofer speed had to deal with quality of the magnetic and the driver?

Username: That_guy_u_dont_know

Kaplan, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 2
i dont know much but from what i do know u would ether run the off of two diffrent amps and i dont think it would sound tha great unless u cant get the low bass out of that eight cuz from what i know that doesnt work (like i said i dont know mjuch so correct me if im wrong people)

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1855
I've found that if you are going to run two subs, it's best to run identical subs. But then again, I was running two crappy subs, so my test results were skewed.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13239

Why would you want "boom"?

And, yes, driver diameter has nothing to do with driver speed.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 471
JV, not to disagree with you totally but holding all things equal i.e. same construction, quality, materials etc. If you had one driver of 8 inches and one of 12 inches, would not the 8 inch driver have a quicker response or in other words a tighter sound, again, all things held equal? It seems reasonable that a larger diameter driver which has more mass and a larger surface area would have more in the way of distortion during motions and therefore, a longer recovery between movements resulting in a looser sound.
That said, it would be difficult to find two subs with everything else held equal other than their size; however, the same brand and same model line of sub, with similar type of amplification quality, with only a different driver diameter should tend to have a tighter sound (quicker response) with the small diameter cone. Should it not?
I have experienced this with Car Audio subs. A 12 inch compared to the same brand/model line 10 inch on the same amplifier sounds deeper but less tight.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us