Yamaha 663 - ISSUE with TV PASSING AUDIO TO RECEIVER

Bronze Member
Username: Emmy600

United States

Post Number: 12
I ran into a weird issue with my Yamaha 663 and my Samsung LCD 1080p 120 hz tv - here's what happened:

I have my HD cable box hooked up to my TV via an HDMI cable - I then ran an optical cable from the TV to the receiver and everything worked fine UNTIL I shut the power off on the receiver, TV and cable box. When I turned all the components back on, the audio on the receiver was constantly cutting in and out so bad you couldnt even make out any words people were saying - the input speaker symbols on the receiver display were flickering as well. I switched to playing a bluray and then the receiver audio was fine and when i switched back to the cable input on the receiver the audio was fine then as well. So i shut the power off on everything again and sure enough when I turned it all back on the same audio cutting in and out happened again. So I took the optical cable out of the TV and hooked it into the cable box instead and now the audio works perfect again - even when i shut everything down and turn it back on. My only concern is could something be wrong with my TV since it had some type of issue passing the audio to the receiver? - any input would be greatly appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2199
Emily, sounds like the tv may be having a slight issue sourcing the audio through Optical when the source itself is coming from HDMI. These are regular crappy issues people run into at least once or twice when it comes to HDMI. The way you have it set up now with the cable coming right from your cable box is perfect. Go into your TV settings and shut off the TV's speakers. The audio should always go right from the source to the Yamaha anyway. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 457
Hey Emily,

You're becoming a real pro at this arn't you. it sounds like there is some type of problem with the optical out on the TV or alternatively some type of glitch between the HDMI connection and the optical connection.
Nick is on the money, the way you have it setup now will provide the best alternative, other than going HDMI direct to the receiver. You're done!

Cheers,

G

Username: Bozobyte

Where Micky mouse lives, CA Good Ol U.S....

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I am listening to all this and wondered again...Why do we need an optical TOS from the TV to the AVR?
I have my Samsung on the wall,with one HDMI coming through the bottom of the wall and will hook it up to the new receive r I get, then hook up the Blu-Ray, and the Time Warner DVR cable into the AVR.
I always wanted to choose between listening to ONLY the TV speakers with nd for the effects of movies. I was tols no matter what AVR I get, I;ll never be able to listen to the TV speakers again, as long as I have a AVR hooked up. Thanks! Still looking at Yamaha,Pioneer elite 01, or the Pioneer 1018. Onkyo is nice but lots of overheating issues....I don't need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us