Need help please - Amp

Bronze Member
Username: Lesterlyles

Post Number: 56
Hello all. I already have a HT set up w/ a NAD 773 but I have inherited some equipment that I would like to create a 2nd home theatre in my basement but i am not sure how to create a system w/ these pieces.

They are an old Bryston 4B AMP, a sony digital surround processor (SDP-EP9ES) and a NAD C 325BEE (I think it is an Amp but maybe it can be a pre-amp too?).

My guess is that the Bryston ill power the system, the NA, which only has capacity for 2 speakers, is the pre-amp, and the digital surround processor makes it 5.1. Does this sound right? Does anyone have any suggestions w/ thee 3 pieces?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13227

The Sony is a pre amp/processor and should have inputs for your audio sources. You can power the main front two speakers with the Bryston by taking a signal from the Sony's "pre out" jacks. The NAD can serve as amplification for the two rear surround channels by running into its "main in" jacks.

You'll lack a center channel of amplification so you'll have to run the Sony processor in Dolby Surround mode and not in Pro Logic Surround. The Sony to my recollection doesn't provide for any 5.1 discrete Dolby or DTS sources so you'll have to set the system up for a basic surround configuration. With a near twenty year old processor, some modern day source components might not easily adapt to the constrictions of the Sony.

Don't bother running video sources through the Sony, take them directly to your monitor. Run only audio sources and the audio from your video sources through the Sony.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 57
Thanks Jan. That is a great help but I do have a couple of more questions.

1) just to clarify, the NAD will power my rear two surrounds by running from the Sony to the NAD "Main In" correct? There is no connection b/w the NAD and the Bryston?

2) Are you implying there is no way at all to have center channel working with this set up?

3) Not sure about the 5.1 question but this is what I found from the product description
- Dolby Digital (AC-3) and Dolby Pro-Logic processing
- Basic and Advanced menu control modes
- Dynamic range compression control
- Can be used as an external high grade D/A converter for CD players
- 3 x optical / 1 x coaxial / 1 x RF digital inputs
- 1 x optical digital output
- 5.1 channel full bypass inputs to connect other pre-amps/processors

4)So the DVD, VCR vidio input/outputs will be straight with the TV monitor while the audio input/outputs will be through the sony?

Thank you so much.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13236

"1) just to clarify, the NAD will power my rear two surrounds by running from the Sony to the NAD "Main In" correct? There is no connection b/w the NAD and the Bryston?"

Only in that they both take a signal from the Sony.

"2) Are you implying there is no way at all to have center channel working with this set up?"

You have only listed four channels of amplification, two in the Bryston and two in the NAD. You would need five to allow for a 5.1 discrete center channel. You'll also need a powered subwoofer for the ".1" portion of the system.

"3) Not sure about the 5.1 question but this is what I found from the product description ... "

Dolby Digital and AC3 are the same. However, you only have a coaxial or optical digital input from any source providing Dolby Digital output. As I remember the Sony, you do not have a 5.1 analog input which has come about since the days of your processor. The Sony will process DD signals and you can make the adjustments for level at the Sony. DTS is not possible with the Sony and any digital signal decoding beyond a basic DD level is not possible.

You'll of course have to set up the source player along with the Sony to recognize the four existing channels of amplification. This means you'll have to downmix the signal to 4.0

The most you can obtain from a hifi VCR is a stereo output that can be processed at the Sony into a Dolby Surround (4.0) signal.

If you are not using a hifi VCR, then you'll usually just be listening in mono.

If you set the system up properly you can achieve what is termed a "phantom center" signal. No center speaker or amplifier is used but the DD signal is re-routed digitally to provide a strong center channel feel.

"4)So the DVD, VCR vidio input/outputs will be straight with the TV monitor while the audio input/outputs will be through the sony?"

That's the most often preferred set up. Video signals are primarily done for convenience when routed through a processor. I can't imagine the Sony being of any real benefit to a modern day DVD player or satellite system and certainly not to a VCR.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
Thanks again. My Bryston is actually a 5 B so there are 3 channels and not 2. T/f I will be able to get the full 5. You have been a big help.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11321
Oh NOW you throw that in! Thats good RM, you can run movies in 3.0 or 3.1 as well, with AC3.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2202
mmmMMmm 5B!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
Last dumb question. The Sub will be plugged in directly to the Sony (pre-amp)? I dont really see any other alternative but just making sure.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2222
I cant believe that a fine piece like the Bryston 5b is going to be only used in a secondary home theater.lol. It is, in my opinion, the nicest piece of equipment in your house. It would surely be the nicest in my house as well.

To answer your question though: yes. The sub will be plugged into the sub connection on the pre amp. Cheers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2223
Scratch my first paragraph. After reading through the thread I see it is being used with the NAD. Good man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
Thanks, I wouldnt call it secondary, just second. I cant have all those components (Nad AMP, Bryston AMP,Sony Pre- amp in the familiy room b/c I dont have the space for all the components. T/f that room gets a NAD AV773. One component instead of 3. The 3 components will go in the finished basement w/ some Monitor Audio speakers. The upsatairs will get some Mirage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2242
Very nice Robert. Bryston and Monitor Audio make for a nice combo.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
So Nick, my next question is which sunwoofer would you use w/ monitor radius 180s as the FCF and the Monitor 45s as the surround. I have heard mixed things regarding Monitor Sus and I really dont want to spend more than $500. I have heard Outlaw makes good subs as do Hsu. I guess I should post on a different forum for this.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
So Nick, my next question is which sunwoofer would you use w/ monitor radius 180s as the FCF and the Monitor 45s as the surround. I have heard mixed things regarding Monitor Sus and I really dont want to spend more than $500. I have heard Outlaw makes good subs as do Hsu. I guess I should post on a different forum for this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2251
The Monitor subs are musically decent. If you have to stick under 500, then Outlaw is no doubt one of the first choices. Being as they are HSU subs rebadged basically.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
OK, I need help on the setup now and please excuse me if my questions are dumb:

- Do I hook up the tape deck to the NAD or the SOny Digital processor? I am not sure ow to hook it up to the Sony since all the outputs/inputs are digital but if there is a way, Id like to know. I am assuming if the Tape Deck goes into the Nad, I can only listen on the two channels the NAd is powering.

- Same question as above but for a VCR.

- When I am connecting the 3 channels (two fronts and center) from the Sony Digital processor to the Bryston, I am confused on the cable. For the two fronts, I assume I use a standard Red/WHite RCA cable. The center however, only has one input on the Bryston but two outputs on the Sony Proscessor. What do I do there?

- As far as powering the surrounds w/ my Nad, is the connection as simple as a Red/White RCA cable from the surround output of the SOnt to the "Main in" of the NAD?

Thanks much.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us