Klipsch or Polk Audio? ( Adopt a Rookie)

Username: Rifleman152

Middletown, Rhode island United states

Post Number: 6
Hi All, Another Rookie, Asking advice on a (Yawn) Tiresome Subject: Speaker Comparison. Was considering either the Klipsch VF-36, Or the Polk Audio TSI500 Floorstanding Models, for my 2 front L/Rs. Any opinions? I am very Green with this, and all the tech stuff. Any help would be Great. Thanks Much.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13222

There should be a rather obvious difference in the sound produced by these two speakers. Which did you find more interesting and why?

Also, what's your amplifier and how loud are your volume requirements? Is your profile on the forum up to date?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/535067.html

Post Number: 7
Yes, they are up to date. My receiver is the yamaha rxv 663. I would say i listen in the low to mid range as far as volume goes, i might crank things a little when the brood isnt home. I have decided to take the next step component and money wise, wanting to spend around a $1000. I compared both on best buy site, their close in price, but i dont know that much about specs. Ithink i like the klipsch. Thank you

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 962
Yes. But what about that Chevy Express van, Pat?

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 963
ok. Lame attempt at humor.

Is this mostly for music?

Post Number: 8
Hi Stryvn. That was good,LOL. I think im about 70% movies, 30% music.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13223

Why don't you go listen? Speaker specs are all but useless. You pick speakers by hearing the sound they reproduce.

You have small Polks and a Klipsch subwoofer. Why not just stay with that? What is it you want that your present system isn't providing?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11283
Pat, it's a tough answer to your post.
Vigne will grill you like a seasoned pro seller. Sell you what you need.

What do you need from the speakers?
Can you provide the tools necessary for the speakers to perform adequately as they were designed?
Can your room accept modifications for speaker placement, subtle treatments, etc?

Post Number: 9
Your both right. I have decent sound from my current system, and yes i should just go listen to speakers, its all personal preference anyway, like anything else. My room is only 16x16. I thought maybe floorstanding speakers would open up my front field especially for music, the polks seem distant and narrow. Could be my setup, im new at this so maybe i shouldnt rush it.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13225

pat, you're speaking in gobbledegook. I really don't know what "open up" means to you or why your present system should sound "distant and narrow". Does that have something to do with frequency response or something else? How about being more specific about what you are hearing and why you think floorstanding speakers will change anything.

Here's the basic stuff.

Most AV receivers aren't too good at audio. Did you hear this system before you made a purchase? How did it sound then?

How you have an AV receiver set up can make a large difference in how you hear the results. Try different Dolby and DTS modes. Who set the system up for you?

AV sources suck.

Sticking large objects like TV's and cabinets between your front speakers doesn't help the sound quality.

Placement of the speakers and yourself are some of the most important things about getting an AV system to sound right.

The room is a major influence on the sound quality.

How long have you had this stuff? Did it always sound this way or have you just noticed the problem lately?

What is your source player? This -
Sony kdl46w4100? What is it?

Do you have any other CD player in the system?

Shopping for a system at big boxes like Best Buy typically is like shopping for prime rib at WalMart. Do you have any other stores in your area that specialize in audio?

Post Number: 10
Jan, Thanks for your time. I will have to get a little more experience with HT before i jump into a forum with questions and responses. Im not sure what i want or what im hearing, and i will save myself further embarrassment by ending this post. Maybe we can pick up on this again in the future. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1829
Are you shopping at one of the big box stores Pat? I read that the new Klipsch VF series were developed in partnership with Best Buy. They probably have the typical lower-end Klipsch sound. Shrill highs, lack of midrange and deep bass. I'd check out some of the other brands in the price range too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Thank You David.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13226

Do yourself a favor and do not buy something just to buy something. To get the best results you have to have an idea where you want to head, what is missing and what will solve the situation.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11299
pat, we all here have done this many times and usually end up with a happy listener, and more importantly, another member to pass knowledge along.

Hang in for some of the stupider stories.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks Guys.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us