Old speakers and laptop

Username: Cenobite

Post Number: 1
I've got some wired speakers (I think that's the right term) and I was just wondering - before I convert them into storage space - if there is anything useful I could do with them, for instance a way to connect them to my laptop (via headphone jack)... If that's possible, which it probably isn't.
By wired speakers I mean ones with two cables leading from each speaker which end in just bare copper wire. If I haven't used the right term or aren't being specific enough, feel free to correct / question me
Thanks a lot!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1665
You need to have the sound amplified above headphone listening levels.

Here are a couple of options for you;

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/trends/ta10.html

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=T-Amp&FTR=&s earch_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&x=0&y=0

Post Number: 2
Ah right, thanks a lot!
So I could connect the speakers to an amplifier and then the amplifier to the headphone jack of the laptop? Sounds good.

Are there any particular models you would recommend - on first glance this one looks alright for what I'll use it for:
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTA2-40-Watt-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B0013CDZDI

Thanks again for the reply!

EDIT:
I just read the review of 6moons of the Trends TA-10 and it sounds great, but looking at the back it seems there is no way to connect bare wires - unlike the one in the link above. How would I go about connecting bare wire speakers to the TA-10?

(Sorry for all the questions!)

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1666
Trends makes quality stuff that audiophiles find satisfying. The one you selected should work fine for the configuration you are going to use it in. I am not at all familiar with it.

The good news is Parts Express return policy. The bad news is it is out of stock.

Post Number: 3
Searching around it seems the Trend amplifier is sold for higher than its RRP in most stores.
I'll wait to see if the Pyle one arrives in store in the next week or so.
Thanks for your help!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11276
Joe, bare in mind that a certain Asian country pumps out good copies on the cheap. While other interests have been working the tri-Path to death and beyond.
Just a tip, dude.

Oh, and don't cross polarity to the input diodes. Ya, whatever.

Post Number: 4
I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but what do you mean about the cheap copies? Would you advise I splash the extra cash on a trend amp?

Ah yeah, about the polarity, the speakers have two wires, one is plain, the other marked with a white stripe. Which one should be attached to which diode?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1670
White Stripe(s)? Is that where the got their name I wonder? Sorry I digress.

Ceno, try it one way then play the same music again with it reversed. In other words start with the plain side wire on the (+) or red connector then the second time move both speakers white stripe wire to the (+) or red connector. Leave it whichever way it sounds better. Phase may be altered by your laptop or amp. The switching of the wires is switching the phase.

As to the cheap amp or the Trends it depends on what you have for speakers and the DAC in your laptop. IMO the Trends is overkill until you get a good outboard DAC and a decent set of bookshelf speakers. I am making assumptions here but most folks who have good speakers do not call them simply "Old speakers".

I hope I did not offend and that this helps.

Post Number: 5
Thanks a lot for clearing that up!

Yeah the speakers I have at the moment are decent but fairly old, so I agree with you that the Trends seems overkill. However some time soon I want to pick up some decent bookshelf speakers - I was thinking of the Wharfdale Diamond 9.0 or the Tannoy Mercury F1's, both of which seem to have had good reviews for budget speakers. Would they warrant something as good as the Trends do you think? If so I might as well get the Trends amp straight away and save time and money in the long run.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1672
Agreed Joe, cheers!

Let us know how this progresses for you. Some folks here like Rick R and Christopher Molloy could give you some good input on outboard DACs for your laptop.

P.S. Try to listen to live music first, find out what you really like in live music, then go find that in a speaker. Yes you should not buy a speaker you have not heard, as reviews or our inputs mean nothing to your ears.

Post Number: 6
Thanks, once I have got my amp I'll set up these old speakers, and then take it from there. I'll post a new topic for some discussion of DACs when I get to that, which hopefully won't be too long.

Ok, I'll have to get down to my nearest store with a few CD's then!

Thanks for your help anyway, I wouldn't have had a clue where to start without you guys :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us