ISSUE WITH YAMAHA 663

Username: Emmy600

United States

Post Number: 5
I just purchased a Yamaha RX-V663 today and I am having an issue when I hook up my samsung HD cable box to the receiver via HDMI. When I do so the picture will stay on for a few seconds and then shut off - picture will then come back on again for a few seconds and shut off again - this pattern just keeps repeating. Any ideas as to why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Silver Member
Username: Eramsey

South carolina United States

Post Number: 605
Hello Emily, welcome to the forum. I would guess that there is a communication problem in the receiver-it's "seeing" the signal and the dropping it for some strange reason. You need to refer to the owners manual of the Yamaha and read into the parts about the HDMI ports. There is probably a setting in the menu,or sub-menus to tell the receiver to keep it's HDMI output on. A much better idea would be to skip the receiver altogether and run the HDMI output from the cable box directly to the tv,if you have enough inputs on your tv,which you should encounter no problems with that.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 369
Emily,

The other consideration is the HDMI cable itself. Is it a new cable or a "tried and true" one / low budget or quality cable? If you haven't used that cable before it could be a defect in the cable.
Since your receiver is new, call the store that sold it to you and get them to walk through the hook up and setup with you. Alternatively, if it's a big-box store that doesn't have the time for you, call the Yamaha support line that will be in your manual and they should help walk you through the setup. That would be the best first step. Be persistent with them and if they can't solve your problem at first, ask them to escalate your issue.
Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you have any related questions.
Not that we're trying to shrug you off but it's best to leave it first to those that have specific expertise with your product i.e. the retailer and manufacturer.

United States

Post Number: 6
Thanks for the quick replies. I decided to take eric's advice and just have the HDMI run from the HD cable box directly to the TV and its working fine now. This should mean that there was nothing wrong with the HDMI cable right? It is a rockfish cable that I bought from best buy yesterday. Also, am I "missing out" on anything that the receiver can do by bypassing it and going directly to the tv for HD cable box? I don't think I am since it only upscales to 480 I think, but I want to make sure - thx

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
Upscaling is one benefit but the other is sound quality. By going directly to the receiver using HDMI you are getting a great transfer of audio data via the HDMI. Anything else would be somewhat of a compromomise.
How are you getting the audio signal to the amplifier from the cable box and TV? Are you using an RCA cable or an optical cable?
As well, I would strongly recommend getting to the bottom of it. You have confirmed that the issue is not with the HDMI cable, as it is now working but you need to still confirm that the receiver is working and is compatible with your TV. You don't want to be sitting with something that has features that don't work. I would recommend following my original suggestion of calling the store you bought it from and having then walk you through it and confirming nothing is wrong with the receiver. Your call though.

United States

Post Number: 7
Right now I am using an RCA cable to run audio from the cable box to the receiver - I'm going to check and see if I can switch that to an optical cable.
I bought the receiver from Best Buy and I'm doubtful they will be of much help with my problem, so I'm going to call the Yamaha support line. Before I call I'm going to check the receiver setting that Eric mentioned about keeping the HDMI output on - maybe that will solve the problem. I'll let you know what happens - thx

Silver Member

Post Number: 379
An analogue cable from your box to your receiver for HT is probably the worst you can do, given that most cable boxes have horrible analogue outputs. You can't do better than HDMI but optical or coaxial would be your next best alternative.
Don't invest too much in an optical cable. Check out monoprice for cheap prices and quick service...they are a reputable dealer for budget cables that provide relatively good quality. My experience with their product has been very good, including their HDMI.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

United States

Post Number: 8
I called the Yamaha customer support line today and the guy had me do some various things to troubleshoot. Turns out its the cable box thats the issue - guy said the picture is flickering because of some copyright issue between the box and the receiver or something to that end. Anyways now that I know there's nothing wrong with the receiver I'm just going to hook the box up straight to the TV and run and optical out for the audio - thanks for your help everyone!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 404
Good to hear you isolated the issue. You're not losing too much by going direct to the TV but you may want to go at least optical from the TV to the receiver. Check out that monoprice cable site I provided earlier. Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1888
"I'm just going to hook the box up straight to the TV and run and optical out for the audio"

That's perfect. Always keep the video and audio separate. Video goes straight to the TV via HDMI, and audio goes to receiver via RCA or optical.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us