Emotiva amps

Bronze Member
Username: Allears

Post Number: 14
anybody here own any of there amps. they sure look good for the money.

Bob

Silver Member
Username: Unbridled_id

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 418
Wait a couple of weeks and their two channel RPA-2 should return. I think that one will be prices at 699 (perhaps 599 if the sale is still going on) and it has the "fancy" meters.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1787
Don't even get me started...

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8400
Oh why not David...it's Sunday and I'm bored...go on...lol! May want to do a search here allears.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1788
LOL... all my friends on here surely remember the shipping fiasco with Emotiva last year (and the subsequent poor customer service I received).

Lots of people rave about Emotiva, I'm just not one of them. Besides, after owning Bryston gear, for me moving to Emotiva would most definitely be a backwards step.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
Well for $599 for the XPA-3 it's worth a crap shot. If it turns out bad i'll get my money back.BTW i'm in the US maybe i'll have better luck lol :-)

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1789
It's worth a try. Keep in mind though, that Emotiva will only refund you shipping one way if you return the amp. Lots of posts on the Emotiva forums about malfunctioning amps too, FWIW.

Let us know how it turns out.

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 420
Bryston? Does bryston have those tacky blue meters like the rpa-2? I wonder how the rpa-2 would stack up against your old bryston?

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 421
I think that it is more than worth a shot all ears.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2169
lol ID is the RPA-2 a Emotiva product? If so, any bryston amp of any age would destroy it. lol I have a feeling you were kidding though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I didn't see any post about the XPA-3 with problems only the XPA-2 and XPA-5,so maybe i'll get lucky.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1791
The XPA-3 is much newer than the 2 and the 5. Give it time...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1792
Just out of curiosity Bob, what sort of application are you gonna be using this amp for? If you're interested in HT, I would suggest giving the Outlaws a look instead of Emotiva. I've bought from them before and found they had OUTSTANDING customer service. The 2200 monoblock is a killer piece of gear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
David, it's for HT and music.I looked at Outlaw,they have no 3 ch. amps.and i don't have room or plug-in's for 3 monoblocks.I never seen an amp thats priced so low. I think its worth a shot...wish me luck....lol

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1793
Sure thing Bob. Hope it works out for you. Let us know what think when you get a chance to put it through it's paces.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11254
It's always cool to see how a member finds new gear to work out.
Provided that it shows up...

Username: Rpa1man

Post Number: 6
There are plenty of happy Emotiva owners. I happen to be one of them. Have owned the RSP-1 and RPA-1 for over a year and have absolutely no complaints. I'm extremely pleased with the build and sound quality of both pieces. No company on the planet has 100% customer satisfaction. The small number of problems posted on their forum is surely insignificant compared to the number of units sold. Emotiva claims to have a 1% to 2% repair rate.

You can try it at home for 30 days so I say Go For It.

I can't say how it might compare to Bryston, Krell or McIntosh but at Emotiva's prices you have nothing to loose except knowing first hand if it is your cup of tea. If it is, you can save yourself some big money to use for other gear. If it's not your cup of tea, at least you won't have any doubt in your mind that you are doing the right thing.

Try it at your home and judge for yourself.

Just my 2 cents.

Post Number: 7
If you think the blue meters are tacky they can be dimmed all they way down to off.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1795
Emotiva can claim whatever repair rate they want. We really have no way of knowing, do we?

In my mind there is no comparison between Bryston and Emotiva. Bryston is warranteed (transferable) for 20 years, and hand made in Canada. Emotiva is manufactured in China with a 5 year warranty (transferable too, if I recall correctly).

You are correct, though, Paul. If someone purchases an Emotiva and is happy with that, more power to them.

FWIW, I like the blue meters. Kinda retro...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11255
Accurate analog meters are extremely valuable in tuning.

Post Number: 8
Nice to hear from you again David.

I'm sure that Bryston has failures. Do they have a forum wear members can post about problems? If Emotiva didn't have a forum we wouldn't know about the few problems that arise.

How much would you guess an Emotiva amp would cost if it were produced in the US or Canada?

How does anyone know that Bryston doesn't buy their internal components from the same sources as Emotiva?

I agree the Bryston warranty speaks a lot about it's quality, but that doesn't make the Emotiva gear any less significant in the high-end audio world.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1796
There's a forum called the Bryston circle (where some of the members here are also members of). The VP of Bryston posts in the forum very frequently.

There's a few hardcore Bryston fans on here (me included).

Stu thinks I'm working on my own Bryston museum :-)

Post Number: 9
I've been researching the Bryston website and am extremely impressed with the manufacturing process. Thumbs up to completely hand assembled and soldered workmanship. Believe me, I can truly appreciate the attention to detail.

I can also appreciate that you are a Bryston fanatic. More power to you sir.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1626
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/11/21/la-2008-honda-shows-off-insights-eco-ass ist-dashboard/

http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/

I really appreciate my Mac's analog meters as it let's me know how some of the tweaks I made in my kit have improved the efficiency of my system. I can now play loud (my idea of loud) music using less than 30 watts.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1797
Do you have a local dealer where you can give a Bryston a listen?

My local dealer here sells Bryston and Totem (mainly). It's a really good combination. The first time I heard it I was totally impressed.

For the record, I can't comment on the Emotiva sound since I've never owned one (I sent mine back unheard). If you do pick one up I'd be really interested to hear your impressions. You seem like a savvy listener.

Post Number: 10
There is an authorized dealer about 30 miles from me but it would be hard to compare without having it in my home. The 3B SST looks like the closest amp to my RPA-1 and I've been looking and reading reviews about it. I don't have $2000 to buy and try. Maybe they would let bring my RPA-1 in to do a comparison. Something to consider I guess.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Michael,

Sometimes I wish the meters on the RPA-1 were larger but I can live with because I truly enjoy the sound of this amp.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11256
Guys, it is easy to find a large number of Bryston haters on Canadian sites as well.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3116
In all the reading on line I've done, I've only found one person say they had a malfunctioning Bryston. Bryston shipped him 2 integrateds (the DAC section was going bad, not the amp) and both had problems.

Come to find out, it was the user's fault. Something about switching cables with the amp and source powered up. He posted that he was to blame after he figured out how. He also claimed Bryston went out of their way to correct everything.

One of the many reasons why I'm a huge Bryston fan. But customer service and build quality/longetivity aren't enough. Its got to sound great, otherwise its worthless. Needless to say, I'll most likely only buy Bryston in the future. Unless of course someone else trumps both their build and sound quality.

They're just as good with second hand buyers as they are with new gear buyers. In fact, James Tanner (Bryston VP and Audio Circle member) helped Danman find a second hand current series pre-amp. What other company does that.

Sorry to side track. I'd like to hear the Emotiva stuff. Some of it looks pretty nice. I don't see any with bule meters on their website though.

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 422
You don't have to go to Canada to find folks not enamored with the Bryston (brightston) sound. That being said, no doubt it is well made and has a great warranty; and by the way you pay for those qualities. But saying that a 20yr old bryston amp will destroy a current emotiva amp without hearing the two is a bit presumptuous. We have had these types of discussions before, so I really don't want to go back there.
Brand identity is very important in audio and also with other consumer goods.
Emotiva offers a 30 day trial and 5 year warranty which is good. I have been on their site and spoke with them by phone, seem like straight shooters to me. Allears you should go for the xpa-3 you have nothing to lose and much to gain.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Only the RPA-1 and upcoming RPA-2 have the blue meters.

Believe me, I'm not knocking Bryston. They make some really sweet stuff. If I had a couple thousand dollars to play with I would give the 3B SST a try to find out what I may be missing. But unfortunately I'm not that fortunate.

Silver Member

ChicagoUsa

Post Number: 423
You may not be missing much (or anything) at all Paul.
You have a nice amp for a peanuts price. I am considering the rpa-2, though I do not like the meters. Dann G says the RPA is a bit more laid back than the XPA amps, not as dynamic but being class H more musical. I need an amp and it is certainly under consideration, they should be up on the website in a couple of weeks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I don't know how much more dynamic the XPA's are but the detail of the RPA is downright impressive. I was looking for a detailed amp when I was shopping and the reviews I read were dead on. 200w/ch is plenty of power to boot.

Personally, I rarely play the amp so the meters go past 1/4 of their range. That is plenty loud for my tastes. In fact, 99% of the time the meters don't move at all.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1798
Nuck is right, I've found that theres a fair amount of Bryston detractors even on Canadian sites. Just goes to show that audio is more subjective than nationalistic.

To each their own.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
That's what makes this hobby so much fun. Great sound is subjective.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11258
And when you find something that is just right for you and your toes start tapping or the air guitar comes out, it is so much fun!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Amen brother.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2170
Companies as large as Dolby Labs, and multiple large recording studio's use nothing but Bryston. That says something. I doubt Dolby labs would use overly bright gear when they could have saves thousands and went with Emotiva.lol. But hey, like you say, great sound is subjective. Plus I have never heard Emotiva so I can't knock its sound.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
We must keep in mind that speaker/amplifier pairing has a lot to do with what you hear as well. Amplifier "A" may sound excellent with speakers "A" and mediocre with speakers "B".

The reverse can be true where amplifier "B" may sound mediocre with speakers "A" and excellent with speakers "B".

Cheers,
Paul

Gold Member

Post Number: 2171
Very True Paul.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us