Good deal for a Bryston 3b?

Username: Buzzkiller

Post Number: 1
I have been talking to a girl who seems to be selling of her deceased fathers audio equipment. She is selling a Bryston 3B for $250.

I called Bryston and gave them the serial, its 4 digits. They said it was "really old". AS in not under the 20 year warrantee

I would like to know, is this a good deal? Fair? Bad?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11238
If it works properly, call it a fair deal.

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 342
Benjamin,

If it's in good cosmetic condition and you are able to verify that it is operating correctly, then $250 is a very sweet deal, especially when there is no shipping involved. Alternatively, you can look for something newer with some warranty but you're probably looking at double the cost; however, Bryston warranties are excellent and potentially worth the month. It depends what you're looking for but all in all $250 is very fair.

Post Number: 2
WOW.. Fast responses! Well, honestly I have been interested in taking up high end audio as a full time hobby, so I am reading and reading and reading. I saw the name Bryston and the price and thought if this was too good to pass up, then I should buy it and stick it in a closet and build off of it.

The only issue is that I am taking her at her word and can't hear it in action, which is my fault not hers. She would be bringing it to me.

Bryston was pretty clear that the warrantee was not going to work for me.

Perhaps I would be better to start slow and investing in newer equipment.

I had some decent stuff years ago, Klipsch speakers that I saved for, and were stolen from me. Heart broken I haven't been able to think about building again.

I want to do it right this time. Thanks for the replies. I am planning on making this site a daily habit and soaking up everything I can.

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
Benjamin,

Bryston is a good solid place to start but personally, I would go a little newer with some warranty, possibly something 18 or 19 yrs old. A 3B would good be a good solid power amp but you'll need to find an appropriate pre-amp and Bryston's don't come that cheap. The 3B will work with other preamps but the quality of the preamp will also impact the sound.
I wouldn't rush on this purchase. Why don't you go out and start auditioning some gear. You may be happier with an integrated to start with. A good bang for the buck brand from all I've heard and read is Outlaw. If you're in the U.S. those can be had brand new for a very decent price and you'll be off to the races but before you buy anything, do some auditioning and find out what you like. Narrow it down to a few brands that are in your budget.

Post Number: 3
Will do. As I said, I just wanted to see if this was something that I would be foolish to pass up, even if it was just to resell it. I can see it's not. Which is disappointing but if its too good to be true.....

Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2150
Ben- Welcome to Ecoustics. If you don't buy that power amp, give me the girls number and I will buy it RIGHT away.LOL. 250 dollars is an absolute steal for anything with Bryston on it. Even if its the first 3b ever It would still sell for 500 dollars well used. Buy it man, make sure it works, then buy it. If you don't I will.Cheers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1775
Give me the number before you give to Nick. He doesn't need anymore Bryston gear.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1776
Seriously though, I have a 3B that's older than 20 years and I paid a lot more than 250 bucks for it. I still thought it was a steal.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2153
LOL David has more Bryston gear than I do. Tell you what Dave. I will trade you the number for your Mono Blocks.lol.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1780
No can do my friend. Can't see myself parting with the mono's.

Nice try though :-)

Post Number: 4
Sure, you want to buy it? $750.00

To give you an idea of how old it is, the serial number is 3295

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1781
LOL... 750.00 is a bit high.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2155
David-LOL

Mike- It should be around 25 years old I am guessing. Well worth the 250.

Post Number: 5
Well, I think if its around tomorrow and it should be I will offer her $200 for it. Sounds like it might be nice to have around.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2156
lol good stuff Ben. Let me know if she turns the 200 down as I will buy it off her for 250. Seriously. Keep us posted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
So Benjamin. What's da verdict? Have you joined the 3B club?

Post Number: 6
She told me last night that she had someone coming this morning to get it, I told her it wasnt convenient for me. I got an email at noon saying the guy did show up. And would you believe I woke up today with my freakin eyes glued shut.. Pink eye..

SO, short answer.. No.. she still has it.

Post Number: 7
You guys want her contact information? Maybe someone can do me a solid some day..

I think that it would be wasted on me. I am starting from scratch and I think with my budget, I am going to look at one of those outlaw receivers and some orbs for my small apartment home theater.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2163
PM me her info if you want Ben. Will she ship it or is it local pick up only? Where she located? Thanks buddy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2164
Actually, is she in Canada or States?

Post Number: 8
Normally Im not such a dolt, I am looking to see how to send a PM. She is in the states, in Milwaukee Wi. Sorry, just woke up.

Silver Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 923
Hi Ben...Nick has MORE than enough gear at his house. And more Bryston than is good for one man. And Mitchell is no better. Besides, they're Canucks. (lol...just kidding guys.) I, on the other hand, am barely scraping by sonically and could provide a nice home to a Bryston at that price. And I'm in Milwaukee to boot.

Click on my name and send me a PM.

Post Number: 9
I wish that when I got an email about the continuation of a thread it would tell me the URL so I can just revisit it. I would seriously doubt shes going to ship it but I could be wrong. Also you would be buying it as is, and I have NO idea the condition. I have a photo but its not a great one.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 924
Post the pic, Ben. Or send along in a PM

Post Number: 10
Here is the link. Her name is Bobbi. She responds to email quickly. She sent me a text message of the back of the amp where the serial is but thats on my phone.

You know, if you set up an RSS feed from craigslist for the search term Bryson you can jump on these things

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/951343001.html

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 925
I have not heard back from Bobbi yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
She is quick, shes not instant.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 927
lol...just givin' yashit, Ben

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1782
Cool man, that looks just like mine. Mine is about 29 years old, I think, and still kicks butt.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Well, I was just taking my trash downstairs and I think I stumbled on my starter piece. Who needs Bryson?

Upload

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1783
What is it Ben?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
No clue, its junk. I was joking. The irony of it was just funny to me, I was inthe elevator asking myself if I it was a bad idea for me to pass on that Bryston, how often do you stumble on good equipment for little to no money, I opened the door and there was my answer - not very often.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2167
lol Go get'er Stryvn. My 3b still has a few years left on the warranty. That thing is well worth the 250. Anyone contact you yet Stryvn?

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 936
yea. I am going to look at it tomorrow. She says it works but is missing a fuse on back. I'll probably go with two fresh dead presidents in my pocket and see what shakes out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Are you in Milwaukee? That's a stroke of luck. For what its worth, I was not told about that fuse issue.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1790
Let us know how it pans out stryvn.

Silver Member

Post Number: 360
So stryvn, did you pick that 3B up today? Did she go for the pair of old dead presidents?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I talked to her and she said so far everyone has been a no show and the amp is destined to be yours (to me, so mine). However I didn't know about this missing fuse. I suppose I should just buy it tomorrow, if for nothing more than I have taken up a good 90 minutes of her time asking questions.

Silver Member

Post Number: 361
You snooze you lose. Benjamin, if you want Bryston then go for it...it's a cheap way to start with a solid amp. You could always flip it and possibly make a profit.
Styvn has had his chance...the race is on.
If only that seller knew we were all buzzing about the amp.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 938
I think I know why she's having problems with all the no-shows...she never gave me a #&$%^!& address! Milwaukee may not be the biggest city in America but it's still too large to go door-to-door.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1628
scam???

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
Does she only want to ship it? I'm risk averse by nature and if I can't see it, hear it and touch it (unless a seller with a ton of feedback) I won't buy it even if I'm saving a bundle. Buyer Beware!
I still say pursue but with caution. Do all the due diligence. You wouldn't want to find out that someone has spilled a coffee all on the inside.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Doesnt strike me as a scam. She is here in Milwaukee where I live. She seems cool enough and I asked her if she would deliver it to me downtown since I don't drive she said she would.

My only concern was this was the first time I had heard about a missing fuse. Stryvn where are you if you don't mind me asking, are in you Milwaukee?

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 939
I work in Milwaukee.
And something don't smell right.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 734
I can tell you that many a time I have seen Bryston items listed on Craiglist that did not pan out when I enquired into them so I would suggest you be very careful! Do not buy unless you can see and hear it first since you do have that option.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11260
BYOF

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1800
Took me a second to figure that out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 381
O.k. if this deal is too legit to quit, then why has she not closed a deal yet. She has at least 4 guys on this forum that would buy it in a flash, starting with styvn and followed closely by Benjamin. What gives?

What happened to the saying...always be closing. Isn't she interested in selling?

My interest is heightened. Benjamin - are you making any progress on it with her?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Actually is started with me. Its the reason I found this wonderful forum.

The day she was selling it, I asked her if she could bring it downtown where I live and work, that day. She said no problem. A bunch of drama happened in my life so I told her to continue to look, she found someone else and told me that he was coming by in the morning but if I wanted it she had told him first come first serve. Then the guy was a no show, so she contacted me, at this point I felt bad because I had exchanged a few emails with her, got her to take pics of it with her phone etc, so I posted here to see if anyone else might want it. (It's really not a appropriate piece for me to be starting with).

After Stryvn said he was going to look at it, which triggered the case of the missing fuse, I then contacted her AGAIN and said that I had heard someone from the forum was coming to look at it but that there was now an issue of a missing fuse. She said he never showed. He said she never gave him the address.

So here we are. Lots of text over an old amp. I'm sure, were it able to think, it would be amazed it was at the center of so much thought.

Based on the amount of communication she and I have had, the low dollar amount, and the fact that she's not in Nigeria, I really dont think this is a scam, I just think its probably not that important to her.

On a side note. I also asked her if she had any other pieces of equipment from the same collection and she said she has some other stuff by Sansui etc, but nothing of this caliber.

So this is where we are. I am almost afraid to contact her again, since if I were her I would probably tell me to go screw myself.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 940
Ben....shitorgetoffthepot!! I told her I was interested and wanted to come by and look at it. She said ok and that noon or 1 would be ok. She never gave me afucking address to find themotherfucker. I asked again. Nothing. If she really wanted to sell the thing,she would have done this, no? So, if she still wants to sell you thegoddamn amp go buy it.

I personally think she's fullofshit or trying to sell a pieceofshit amp she found in thefucking dumpster.

Good day.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Hey man, I hope that hostility isn't directed at me. I was merely answering someones question about the scenario. I agree with you, her behavior sounds to me like someone who doesn't really care if she sells it or not.

Sounds like someone could use some coffee.

Good day to you as well.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11263

Silver Member

Post Number: 383
I think stryvn is just frustrated with not gettin' on the goods - don't sweat it Benjamin, you ain't done nothing wrong. But be sure that lady doesn't charm you out of any of your hard earned cash until you've verified the goods.

Stryvn - be easy on me for speaking for you.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Flakey people are incredibly frustrating, and disappointment sucks. I would be really frustrated too. I thought it was a hell of a stroke of luck for everyone that someone who read this thread was actually in Milwaukee. Wish it would have worked out for him, I enjoy seeing people happy.

Silver Member

Post Number: 385
Benjamin, Ben, Ben sounds like you've turned cold on that 3B. Well that's o.k. Take it slow, learn a little, read some and do a lot of auditioning and find what you like. Then move on it with the right price.

Stay on the forum...it's good here and the guys have a log of insight or rather "insound".

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 942
Let me ask you something, Ben.
If she had the amp.
And it worked.
And she wanted to sell it for cash money. (That she could then use for drugs. Or whatever)
And someone e-mailed and said they had the cash to buy it.
And that same someone wanted to come by and see the amp and make sure it works.
And that same someone would then trade money for said amp,

why wouldn't she provide an address as to where the amp is located?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Not knowing her, I would have to guess that:

a. shes a flake
b. she didn't get the email asking for the address.
c. She did respond and you didn't get it.
d. She sold it to someone else and didn't have the courtesy to let you know (this one seems unlikely to me since when the other person was a no show, she emailed me to see if I still wanted it).
e. She decided not to get rid of it.
f. The amp is in fact broken and she knew you would come with fuse in hand and her charade would be discovered.

When she told me that the person who was coming in the morning to buy it was a no show, I am pretty sure she wasn't talking about you.

She was pretty prompt with me about answering questions and offered to come drop it off in the beginning of this ordeal.

It should probably also be noted that she never mentioned anything to me about it missing a fuse, that raises some alarm bells.

According to gmail chat logs, she sent me a message on Dec 16th at 3:11 pm asking me if I "still wanted the amp". I didn't reply.

I suppose I could email her and ask her, but since I have decided not to buy it, I have pretty much lost interest in the whole thing.

Who knows why people do the things they do. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 944
You're an easy fish to catch, Ben. Be careful

Though I don't really know why I care about your wallet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
That's actually a funny statement considering what I do.

This is the thread that never dies! I do appreciate you looking out for my wallet, but its safe and sound and snug and full. This fish has never been caught yet.

If for some reason Bobbi messages me again, I will refer her to this thread and perhaps she can fill everyone in on her motives. Inquiring minds want to know.

Have a great holiday everyone, I'm beach bound.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 946
Ben, you're a liar and probably a part of the scam.

Have fun at Bradford.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee , WI USA

Post Number: 22
LOL.. Man you're coming off a little obsessed, and a bit paranoid. Its $250, that's one dinner at Mason st grill. Granted I hate losing money, who doesn't but trust me, first of all, I would never scam anyone for anything, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't go to this much trouble to try to make $250.

If you go back and read the thread, I came here asking a question about a good deal. I never tried to sell it to anyone, you asked me for the contact info. Then again, it could all be part of a big elaborate scam to prey on your love of Bryston. Get over it bro.

Maybe she wasn't on the level. Who knows. It's not like you jetted in from Toronto to buy it, you exchanged a couple emails or phone calls or whatever.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1802
This thread is getting a little out of control.

Silver Member
Username: Wattsssup

Barrie, ON Canada

Post Number: 289
Agreed. No need.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee , WI USA

Post Number: 23
I'll say. Hopefully it does not discourage other new visitors from contributing. The bright side is this has opened up a whole new world for me. So I am grateful.

I won't revisit this particular thread. So hopefully it dies now.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8436
R.I.P.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 947
Ben's contributions to this thread in chronological order:

I had some decent stuff years ago, Klipsch speakers that I saved for, and were stolen from me.

I just wanted to see if this was something that I would be foolish to pass up, even if it was just to resell it. I can see it's not. Which is disappointing but if its too good to be true.....

Well, I think if its around tomorrow and it should be I will offer her $200 for it. Sounds like it might be nice to have around.

I think that it would be wasted on me. I am starting from scratch and I think with my budget, I am going to look at one of those outlaw receivers and some orbs for my small apartment home theater.

Normally Im not such a dolt, I am looking to see how to send a PM.

I suppose I should just buy it tomorrow

She seems cool enough and I asked her if she would deliver it to me downtown since I don't drive she said she would.

(It's really not a appropriate piece for me to be starting with).

I do appreciate you looking out for my wallet, but its safe and sound and snug and full. This fish has never been caught yet.

Here's a guy that says he's a kingfish that's never been caught but he's had his Klipsch speakers- that he's saved his whole life for- stolen right out from under his nose. A guy that is gonna buy it. No he's not. Yes he is. No he's not. Yes he is. When everyone told him to buy it at that price if it works. A guy that claims to be an internet marketing specialist that can't figure out how to send a private message. a guy that brags about his kickass Audi with the "Bang and Olufsen 14 speakers spewing bliss" yet needs the drug addict to deliver the amp because he "don't drive".
Oh yea...his wallet is safe and sound and snug and full but his audio budget dictates Outlaw and Orbs for his apartment.

The only thing I believe from Ben is this one-

A bunch of drama happened in my life

Gold Member

Post Number: 2184
Yeah... I would probably drive if I owned an Audi. And if my wallet was so full I wouldn't be looking at outlaw audio.lol. I am not going to judge.

I can really feel the love in this thread. Spewing out everywhere.lol. Lets have a group hug.

Too bad this dolt never came through for you Stryvn. I see on Audiogon that there is some very nice, much nicer in fact, Bryston amps for around 400 dollars. More than 250, but not a scam, in good shape, and in perfect working order.

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 949
I'm not really looking, Nick. It just seemed like a good piece that would have maybe helped out my kids system a bit for the right price locally. How's the vinyl collection coming along?

Silver Member

Post Number: 397
Bye bye Bobbi the blown Bryston bimbett.

Lot's of drama...

Back to that old saying, if it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2185
lol indeed George.

Stryvn- Havn't collected much lately. All the x-mas gift buying has put a damper on buying anything music.lol. After x-mas though its game time as I am going to load up on music and blu-ray movies.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11270
I hate xmas and everything that it brings.
I deny joy and hapiness because I have none left.
I can't wait to be a bitter and lonely old man.
It just kinda fit...

Silver Member

Post Number: 419
Nuck...you lie. Those Classe amps and even more so, the Gallos would put a smile on your face and warm your heart anytime of the year.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8462
Thanks for the Xmas cheer Nuck...where is a bridge I can throw myself off of...lol!

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1664
George is right Nuck, buy yourself a Christmas gift or your wait could be much shorted than you thought.

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to you brother! Your welcome here for the holidays (at least you could listen to Gallos).

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1814
You need some liquid holiday cheer my dear friend Nuck... works for me everytime.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11275
I know a solution...

Silver Member

Wisconsin

Post Number: 958
Dallas, Tx

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1667
You too stryvn?

Cool, we have a sleeper sofa in the same media room as everything else is in.

4 or 5 sets of speakers up here, 3 or 4 guitars, couple of HT receivers, 3 or 4 amps, you can stay up all night fiddling with stuff.

Oh yeah the laptop too! LOL

Silver Member

Post Number: 433
Hey Nuck, what's the solution?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11282
George, see new/old thread
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums