New Rega RS Speaker Line

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8340
Apparently the folks at Rega have been busy. This appears to be a reduction in choice. New tweeter and only one finish. The R9 is gone as well.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8341
Looking at these new speakers I can only speculate that they are coming out with a new higher end line...whaddaya know Frank?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8365
Anyone heard these yet...the new tweeter is supposed to be pretty darn good.

http://www.rega.co.uk/index2.htm

Silver Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 118
Art, what is the frequency range for the RS5 & RS7? Why doesn't Rega provide these specs? I see the new tweeter has silk in it, reminds me of my Sttaf's.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 119
Just found this.
http://www.signals.uk.com/newsregarsseries.html

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8366
The old tweeter was a silk dome as well, the difference is in the internal structure...also the side firing low frequency driver is improved.

I saw the Signals page and it seems to me that my needs and room would still be right for the RS5's.

Rega has never provided specs as such and sitting here listening to my system right now...I'm ok with that.

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 120
Art, how would you compare bass response and extension between your R5's and my Sttaf's. If I remember correctly you have auditioned the Sttaf's I think. One day I would like to hear the RS line but sadly there is no dealer on the Island.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8371
Oh gosh that's really tough Steve. The 2 are just radically different. The Totem sound is IMO just a little more artificial or jacked up. Music is more colorful through the Totems. Rega's have a dry sort of organic sound...the bass extension is not going to be as full and as low but through the mid bass it will be a bit more natural sounding than the Totem. My guess is that all of the bass will improve with the new low frequency driver.

The Totem Sttaf and R5 or RS5 are going to sound so different that most folks who like one will not likely enjoy the other. I prefer the R5 and probably the RS5 even more but I also really like the Sttaf and it would not hurt my feeling to have them sitting here playing right now.

I'm sticking with Rega speakers for my Rega or Naim/Rega hybrid for quite awhile.

But I've been known to build multiple systems, stay tuned..lol!

Silver Member

B.C Canada

Post Number: 121
Thanks Art, I sure hope I can hear them one day. Right now I just want my Sttaf's back, should be here today.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3444
Sorry guys, I know nothing. First I've heard of them (remember I am just a Saturday lad). I'll ask in the shop but don't hold your breath. The guys had a pretty poor opinion of the R series so the RS series would have to be pretty special to turn that around.

That said, this is a pretty quick change for Rega. The R series is relatively new (new in the Rega scheme of things).

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8442
Yeah I just wondered if you had any information on them. I didn't figure the fella's at your store would like them since they really only have a more refined tweeter and little better low end driver for the 5 and 7, cabinets are very similar.

I must say that I don't know how ya'll missed the boat on the R series but I have a full vdH loom now and am playing some acoustic Christmas music and I've never a sound so beautiful from such an affordable system...the sound is just compelling. Everything sounds as natural as any system I've heard regardless of price. Obviously it doesn't have the same sense of scale as some of the cost no object systems I've heard but it just flat blows me away. Put the Totems where they belong...in the HT with a Yamaha receiver.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2188
That a boy Art!!!

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3449
I get where you're coming from Art. There's certainly an enjoyable pleasantness about the R-series, but I could never get away from the cabinet waffle of the bigger speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us