Advice,suggestions for A/V receiver<$450

Jon S.
I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some guidance.

I'm shopping for an a/v receiver, and my price limit is about $450. Build quality and user friendliness are more important to me than a litany of features, but I would still like DPL II and DTS.

The models I've been considering are as follows: Pioneer VSX D912K (CNET Editors' Choice), Panasonic SA HE200 (its weaker sibling, the HE100, was Consumer Reports' top '02 pick), a Denon 1803 (I think the 1804 is going to be too much), Harman Kardon AVR 225, and either the Onkyo TX SR501 or 601.

I currently have a Polk CSi30 center channel, a pair of Advent Legacy II's (6 ohms nominal) for the front, and a pair of Polks for the rear, which happen to be installed in the ceiling (9' high).

The room in which all this is to be used is about 18X16, though there really is no rear wall (the room is on a floor of my home that is "open"). Because of the room dimensions and the Advents, I'm concerned about having enough power.

Right now the Advents and the Polks in the ceiling are both in the front channel jacks of my current, not-so-hot receiver, and the sound is really pretty good. There is no surround sound, however, hence this post for a/v receiver recommendations. I hoping that a better receiver with A/V capabilities will give me good sounding home theater, and even better sounding music than what I have now (my number #1 priority).

Any A/V receiver purchase advice is greatly appreciated.

Max
Hello,
I would strongly recommend you get the H/K 325. I found the 325 for 449$ at 6ave. Thats what I would do at least. All I know is that I highly doubt you will have ANY buyers remorse with the H/K 325. It has features that you will use in the future and now so you won't have that to worry about. I say H/K hands down, no doubts!
Max
P.S If your wondering my second choice would be the onkyo-601, but thats only if I HAD too.

Jon S.
Max,

Thanks for the input.

Another question: Do you think the H/K 325's 50 watt rating is enough for the Advent's 6 ohms nominal and my 18X16 room?

Anonymous
H/K have "true" watt ratings while others dont.

heff
I agree w/Max. the AVR-325 is hard to beat in your $$$ range. You might give Onecall a try since they're authorized H/K etailers and may match the price of another H/K dealer.

Max
Hello,
Well the H/K's are pretty powerful so I dont think they would have a problem running 6ohm speakers. The H/Ks 50 watts should be plenty for that room size. In reality that 50 watts is more like 60-65 watts which in turn is louder and more powerful than like a sony's 100 watts. See, if sony or others were honest about their power with all channels driven it would be more like 30-40 watts. So with H/K you KNOW your getting 50-60 watts with ALL channels driven. Thats how sony and such cashes in on ignorance, they LIE....
Go with the honest companies like H/K, you will love the high-current power!! good luck,
Max

Max
Hey,
One more thing, you mention you want build quality? The H/K's are built like tanks. While most receiver in their price range weigh in at like 18-20lbs the H/K 325 weighs a whopping 40lbs.
It is a monster!! For receivers weight DOES matter
and H/Ks are some of the heaviest. Ok thats all for now,
Max

Chris
I just bought the HK 325 on Friday. I don't have SB speakers yet, so I'm using the amps for zone 2. Even with a 5.1 speaker setup, the 325 plays louder than I'd ever want, & my room's 25x15x9 ft., with a 5x10 ft. nook off one corner & an 8 to 10 ft. opening in another corner. Note that that's without my sub going.
On another note, can I run a mini-plug to mini-plug cable from my IR repeater to the IR input jack on the 325, or do I need some special device?

Anonymous
I agree with Max. I got a refurbished AVR325 from Onecall this month and absolutely loving it. I wouldn't worry about power shortcomings.
Like Max said, this baby is heavy. However, it does run hot - which brings me to the question - is that normal? The fan does come on quite often.
I compared this with a Denon which is relatively much cooler even during long runs. I am not sure if it even has a fan!

Max
Hello,
do you have your 325 placed in a very ventilated area? I don't think the fan is supposed to come on alot. It never hurts to contact H/K for some troubleshooting. Does this heat problem happen when your running something digital or analog?
Max

Anonymous
The AVR325 is now at the top rack on my TV stand. The front has a glass door but the back is open. There is about an inch of clearing between the top of teh receiver and the roof. There is actually no wall on the back but a staircase railing. I am mostly running DSS->VCR signal thru the AVR325 so its mostly analog. I think the fans comes on after a few hours of running. I am not sure yet but whenever I go to the back I can feel the heat and sometimes I can hear the fan running. I thought it was normal till I felt my friend's Denon.

Thanks

Max
Hello,
I am no expert at ventilation but I beleive 1 inch breath space on top may not be enough. Receivers need the most air from the top. Dont worry about how much space the back of the receiver has to breath, worry about the top! So maybe that is the problem. By the way, I bet your friends Denon doesn't sound as good as the H/K does it?
Max

Anonymous
Ofcourse the HK sounds better

I emailed HK customer support. I will post their reply here when I get it.

Max
Hello,
I knew the H/K would sound better!! I once considered Denon but I will stick with H/K.
I would be much interested to read H/K's response. I hope they can help you out.
Max
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us