B&W 603s1 vs Boston Acoustic 960VR vs Mission 753 vs Def Tech BP10

Username: Fivefasts

Vancouver, BC

Post Number: 2
I've been auditioning and have narrowed it down to these. I currently drive Axiom AX-5's with a H/K AVR 20. Frankly the Axioms sounded better than i expected next to the Missions and some Nuance 3CLS. The Nuance is really flat sounding. Missions have a nice clarity to them; better than the Axioms but the bass is punchy and doesn't really reasonate. I am going to listen to the B&Ws and BA's this eve, but expect that i will like them. Would love some feedback/opinions. they are all about $500/pair

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13154

Why do you want new speakers?

Vancouver, BC

Post Number: 4
i was thinking of upgrading my equipment. I recently picked up a turntable and have been really enjoying listening to music again, so its becoming a potential hobby. I was expecting there to be a substantial difference from my old Axioms to the Missions... maybe my ears are just very forgiving.

Username: Affan1

Post Number: 1
keep it up guys...... good luck

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13157

You missed my point. Why do you want new speakers? What is your present system lacking and what do you expect to gain by purchasing new speakers? If you just want something different, buy any speaker or just move your present speakers to a new location in the room - that will sound different. To actually improve your system you should have some sort of plan devised and then go about finding the products that fulfill that plan. To have a plan you must have some idea what it is that is lacking right now and what you will listen for when you audition new products.

Why do you want new speakers?

Vancouver, BC

Post Number: 7
Ok, this is why i want new speakers
1. i want to fill this large 15'x30' room with sound.
2. i would like a fuller, more complete low end
3. i want the mid range to be crisp and i want those crispy mid notes to float all over the room.
4. i'd like to have this without having to rock the whole house, but also like the option of playing loud as well.
5. i just sold some toys and need a new hobby :-) and i've always loved music.

Lucky for me the internet, craiglist and a used audio equip store down the street is easy to access.

I just bought some IQ TED400 speakers from the used audio guy. I thought they sounded more complete than the Mission 753's i auditioned although the mids are not as crisp. The bass line of the Missions seemed flat. I also tried some Nuance speakers but really didn't like them... they seemed 'muddy'. Anyways i bought the IQ's because they were really cheap, i liked how they sounded ( at least for now) and the foam surrounds of my Axioms are failing.

Vancouver, BC

Post Number: 8
and thanks for taking the time to respond

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13163

Well, unfortunately, I'm not the person to talk to about "new toys". And I'm not sure if I've ever heard "those crispy mid notes to float all over the room."

Let's see if we can get someone else to help here.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/534006.html

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11222
SF, its good that you can identify the things that you want in your listening space.

If I am to follow your reqirements, then I would listen to the

klipch line of speakers.

Wide field of dispersion without a lot of power. the bass is up to you,Klipch offer a good spread of products.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13167

SF - Did that help at all?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11234
And I m yet to hear a DefTech speaker that I liked at all.

Vancouver, BC

Post Number: 10
thanks guys.
I actually bought the IQ speakers and have been playing with speaker position and toe-in. So far, a slight toe-in of approx 10 degrees works for my seating area about 15' away. Positioned now about 18" off the back wall. I would love some amp advice as well. I've posted in the amp section in anyone has time. thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3110
Have you heard the DefTech powered monitors Nuck? I was very surprised by them a few years ago. No where near as dark and muffled as their towers IMO.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us