Athena Speakers and NAD 752

I have currently purchased Athena ASF2 and ASB2 as a start to my surround sound with my NAD 752.

I can still return them and am curious if anyone has any comments before I continue with the Athena series for the ASC1 center and ASP400 sub.

I don't see a lot of dialogue on Athenas here.

Does anyone else have them?

Rick
I auditioned the Athenas at Best Buy and was all set to buy them. They have excellent imaging and I thought the sound was full and detailed. They had the smaller sub so I would recommend the larger size. I finally ended up with Pardigms and am very pleased. But the Athenas had a full bodied sound that you should enjoy, just get the larger sub.

Rick:

I appreciate your response.

Interestingly, I find many people recommending Paradigms with the NAD.

May I ask what made you choose Paradigm over Athena?

I agree about the sub since the ASF2's have an eight inch woofer it only makes sense to me to get a sub with a larger woofer for a lower frequency response.

Thanks

TC

DWK
The F2s actually manage to reach suprisingly low on their own. Its not an earth shaking low by any streach, so it could be somewhat disapoiting in some HT applications, but as long as you know what you're getting they're not bad at all.

Having said that, I do plan on getting a sub for my system later, it just wasn't in the budget during the initial build.

Hawk
TCSmith:

I have auditioned them (Athenas) and I think they are a good match with the NAD receiver. Let us know what you think after you get them home and have a chance to work them out!

Thanks Hawk:

I am glad you think they would be a good match as I respect your opinions on this matter.

Another point of interest. My first NAD 752 went back because the firmware was 1.06. I had serial number 00005.

The second NAD went back because some of the speakers intermittently would not come on. I phoned NAD Canada, Lenbrook, and spoke with the Service manager. He immediately asked whether I was using banana plugs, which I am.

He said the binding posts must be very tight when using banana plugs and that NAD is aware of this and will be using different binding posts in the future.

Since the second NAD was packaged already I sent it back anyway, as I felt the posts were tight enough.

Anyway, along comes NAD three and after three days one of the speakers doesn't come on. I had tightened the posts already, but this time I loosened them all the way out and worked them in and out a few times especially in the tightened position to clean the two faces of the binding posts.

I haven't had a problem yet and begin to believe the service manager was correct the first time and NAD number two probably didn't have to go back.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

TC

Hawk
Good to know! Thanks TC.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us