3B-ST

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 293
BOING!!!

Looks like I've joined the club. If all goes well, as of Monday, I'll be the owner of a 3B-ST. The journey begins.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8159
Congrats George!

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
Thanks Art. I'm all excited. It's actually a 3B-ST Pro but to start I'm going to pair it with my Onkyo 805 AVR, which from what I hear is a pretty decent mid-level pre/pro. Eventually I plan to go with separate 2-ch but I need to go easy on the wife.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8162
I don't know what you paid for it George...but hold your breath....I just bought a $650 power cord to complete my van den Hul cable loom on my Rega setup...pickup tomorrow with my P3. Yours...a guaranteed success, mine what many would deem insane. I'm looking forward to it. I'm supposed to be saving money right now but instead I'm stimulating the economy...you to George...guess we should be proud, gulp...lol!

Can't wait to hear how your Bryston enhances your system...much good listening ahead.

Bronze Member
Username: Smwick

B.C Canada

Post Number: 87
ssssssssix fffffffffffffffffffffffifty. I'm feeling faint, I must lie down.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11119
650 aint a big stretch for a lifetime part, so long as you know where you want to go with it.
Have fun Art.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2096
ahhhhh 650 isn't bad Art. Enjoy.

George--Weehaaaaa BOING!!! Good stuff man. You will love it. Got the pro version with the volume control on the back?? This means you can just run your source right into the power amp and be done with it. Ohhhh baby!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
My new 3B-ST Pro cost me just a little more than that cord of yours after you consider exchange.
Your cord deserves it's own thread...we'll have to hear the report on it. Plus pics.
I'll get pics of my new baby up, soon after I get it. It's not perfect - quite a few scratches - but still has 7yrs warranty from Bryston.

Silver Member

Post Number: 296
Hey Nick,

From all I've seen on the Bryston site, re: 3B-ST Pro, the gain controls are on the front upper left section, but need to be adjusted using a flat-head screwdriver. I can jimmy up a fancy tool for that.
Didn't know I could go without a pre-amp. That is extra sweet.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8163
Pics of a cord...think I'd rather see pics of an amp...lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2097
LOL Art.

George - My amp is the same, the volume control has to be controlled by a flat head screw driver. If you jimmy rig something up let me know as I would also would like to try something.

Oh and Bryston will put a new faceplate and top on your amp for cheap if you ever want it looking Minty George. But really, its all about how the inside is working. Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
Nick - have you used your 3B straight connected to source? How was it...better than through a preamp?

What's cheap for a faceplate? I've seen prices like $300 for faceplate and handles, sometime they come up on CAM for $150. You know what the price is from Bryston? Thanks.

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
Here are some pics of the baby - she's had some tough love.

Upload
Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3370
George, BOING is the wrong word. A bryston doesn't go BOING, it goes CRASH and takes your floor with it!

Nick, scratches are to Brystons as scars are to soldiers. They're meant to be there! :-)

Art, thank you for keeping the economy going. I must say you certainly surprised the heck out of me on this one!

Frank.

Silver Member
Username: Danman

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 728
Congrats! believe me, you are going to be overjoyed!

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
Thanks Danman. You've got the heavy hitter 4B, I see. Would love to do an A/B comparison with that.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8165
Looks like the heavy duty Bryston that we've come to expect...go get 'em George!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 729
George don't worry, the Bryston house sound is all there. Only difference is it (4B-ST) is more dynamic with faster timing and double the power. You are going to love the 3B. I needed the extra power to drive my Logans precisely.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
I'm running on a pair of Sinclair Audio tower that are 8-ohm with a 92db efficiency, well balanced, neutral sounding. What's it gonna do for me? I'm hoping for jaw dropping over my Onkyo 805 AVR, but I've never hear my speakers on a real 2-ch amp. Really looking forward to it!

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 730
Believe me, your Onkyo will not even come close! No problem for your speakers!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2098
It will be quit the upgrade George, that is for sure. George your speakers are easy to power, the 3B will be all you will ever need in the power and dynamic range. Danman's Logans can definitely benefit from the extra power and peak range but I doubt you would hear any difference between a 3b and 4b On your speakers. Like Danman said, the house sound is the same.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11125
http://vintagemusic.ca/search.html?search=bryston

Gold Member

Post Number: 2099
The Vintage guy makes a claim in the Belle's ad that if can be described as Bryston power "But actually sounds good" WTF is that guy smoking? Belle's make great stuff but it is in no way sonically better than Bryston to my ears. If Belle's were that much better perhaps Dolby Labs, and half of the recording studio's in North America would use Belle's instead of Bryston. Oh wait, they don't.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11126
The bp-25 for 1k$ is pretty good...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11127
And don't y'all work days?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2100
lol Yeah I give him that, his pricing is pretty sweet Nuck.

Yup I work days and am off in one hour and 15. Cant wait. Gears Of War 2 tonight and whiskey.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2101
George- I havn't tried the direct connection from my Amp to my CDP. I shall try it. Oh, and your 3bST doesn't look all that bad at all. Very nice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 302
Dave = how loud is your 3B on your Sttafs before it clips? It it very clear still at clipping? Have you reached clip? Is it more than enough to drive those Sttafs full out?

I'm just thinking how well it might work out with the Hawks if I ever get back to them. Thanks.

Anyone else with experience using a 3B to drive a moderate load like a 8ohm/86db sensitivity or 6ohm for that matter? With the 3B, does it easily handle the 4ohm loads, as its rated at 200w/ch RMS into that?

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 731
No problem to 4 ohm but not less!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1745
How did I miss this thread George?

BOING!!!

Welcome to the Bryston club my friend.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1746
I'm using my 3B to drive my Ascends right now. There's no clipping to be heard. I would have to turn the system up to the point of being deaf with blood running out of my ears, laying face-down on the floor before I heard any clipping (sounds like a typical Saturday night, actually).

These days my Bryston Powerpacs are driving the Sttafs. Power a-plenty. Actually, the Powerpac 120s are supposed to be the equivalent of the 3B SST, just in mono chassis.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1747
Did you pick it up yet? I thought you were getting it Monday?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8180
"I'm using my 3B to drive my Ascends right now. There's no clipping to be heard. I would have to turn the system up to the point of being deaf with blood running out of my ears, laying face-down on the floor before I heard any clipping (sounds like a typical Saturday night, actually)."

LOL!!!

For gods sakes man don't do that...you want to still be listening to music when get to my ripe old age!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1748
Haha, Art. I just meant the face-down part. I try to take good care of my hearing these days :-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
Yeah, Dave. I get it Monday but put the pics up that the guy who's selling it sent.
Thanks for the vivid description. I'm not looking to go deaf prematurely but wanted to get a sense of how loud it is before those LED start flashing red...showing the clip. Sounds like more than enough power.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1750
I don't think it will be so much the extra power you'll notice with the 3B George. I think it will the detailed, clean Bryston sound that will impress you.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
Oh yeah Dave, the clarity is something I'm counting on. I'm just always second guessing myself between the 3B and 4B but from all I'm hearing, unless I'm giving it a very difficult load, the 3B is more than enough. I'll get it Monday, and share my initial impressions. I probably won't get to open it up until next weekend though.

I know once I start running it through my Onkyo, I'm going to be thinking about possibly upgrading the IC's and then next considering getting a true pre. I'm leaning towards Bryston but have heard good things about pairing the Bryston with a tube pre.

Cheers.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1753
The natural choice is a Bryston pre-amp, of course :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Snapcat

Post Number: 84
Way to go George!
I think you'll be most happy with the Bryston power.
I considered a tube DAC/Pre via the Monarchy 24, but went with a BP25 to get the balanced connection.
There are many fun choices.

With 92 db speakers, you should have plenty of loudness. My 683's are 90 db and dip to a minimum of ~ 3 ohms. No problems.

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
Hey guys,

A question with respect to hum on a 3B-ST. Is it normal to have some hum generated from the power supply on these amps?

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 732
Yes it is! I asked this to Bryston and they told me not to worry as long as it is not transmitted to the speakers!

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
Yeah, I just heard back that this happens with a lot of their equipment. It's not that the hum is passed in the amplified signal but rather that the equipment itself generates a hum. I would think that would just be related to the high-capacity power supplies holding all that current.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2102
Yup, mine does it a little too. You got to put your ear almost on it to hear it, but its there. The Hum is not in the speakers, they are dead quiet. Which is the important thing.

Silver Member

QUEBEC CANADA

Post Number: 733
All high power stuff that is built to last forever presents this type of hum. These amps are not ordinary Future Shop stuff!

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
Funny. I have a hydro power tranformer at the end of my street and if you stand next to it you can hear the audible hum. I know it carries incredibly high voltage...I guess the same can be said of Bryston gear.
It would be interesting if the new SST amps hum. It could be that they are so musically inclined that they can't keep quite but need to hum along...LOL.

Silver Member

Post Number: 313
Picked up the 3B-ST. It looks better in real-life than the pics, so I was pleasantly surprised.
LED's are working fine, it doesn't seem to hum on the outlet I've plugged it in. Couldn't actually try it out because the wife wanted to watch Heroes tonight...I watched as well. I plan to set it up tomorrow...hopefully. A review should be in by this weekend.

Question: for those with Bryston's...are their power cables anything special? Are they labled as Bryston? I'm not sure the one the seller provided me with is an original, as it's marked "made in Taiwan",though it is a 14guage zip cord.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11150
All high power stuff that is built to last forever presents this type of hum. These amps are not ordinary Future Shop stuff!

Well, no, not all high powered stuff does that. Lots of brands do not emit humming at all, as the hum is most often a function of available incoming power and it attendant woes. Some gear is built specifically to remove the noise created by incoming power.

Torroids are, oddly, most susceptible to hum and noise, but are the better of what they do. Using air core inductors throughout a unit goes a long way as well.

Other 'high power' stuff, like, say Mac and Rowland, use potted supplies and componants that eliminate all noise, period.

Silver Member

Post Number: 314
QUESTION (Bryston's with detachable cord):
The Bryston cord I got with my 3B-ST is not labelled as Bryston, it is marked as 14guage and Candian Standards Association (CSA) certified by all I can see is that it's made in Taiwan.
Is this the norm? What do your cords look like?
I know that Bryston doesn't toot the power cord upgrading theory but I just want to ensure I don't have a sub-standard cord that might restrict power.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3380
No idea regarding the power cord, sorry, but regarding the hum...

All amplifiers containing large linear power supplies (i.e. power supplies using a large transformer) are prone to hum. This hum is caused by poor mains quality, usually a DC component on the AC line. The transformer won't let through the DC component but since it acts as a filter that energy has to go somewhere and the transformer starts to vibrate, usually in oscillation with the true mains component (i.e 60hz in the US and 50hz in Europe), which causes the hum. So you could blame it on your mains supplier, but in this day and age where we pollute everything and expect someone else to pick up the pieces, it's unlikely you'll get anywhere. You should hear my Naim amp, especially when the wife switches on her hairdryer upstairs - I sometimes think the toroid's gonna do a weird impression of a frog.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11152
Pot the torroid in tar.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2103
Yeah Frank, if I turn on the Sony Bravia TV and Cable upstairs in the two channel system, the 3b has a very very faint hum inside the unit. If I power off the TV and Cable, the unit is dead quiet. Now the speakers are always dead quiet.

Is it safe to say that the higher end gear is more sensitive to crap around it?

George, cant wait for that review.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3386
Nuck,

All toroids are potted in wax in order to avoid the worst of the hum, but it's not a complete solution.

Nick, I wouldn't be surprised if the TV and Cable have switched mode power supplies which are notorious for pumping crap into the mains.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2105
Frank- I agree. Especially the cable. Originally I called Bryston on the matter. Brian, The Lead Engineer/GM told me to unplug the cable box. I did, and the hum stopped right away. Damn cable boxes.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11159
Frank, coating the winding in wax and potting the entire affair in tar (or a parafin emulsion)are different matters.
The full Monte of potting is more involved, more expensive (as the tar base requires a much higher temperature than wax)(thus involving a core product which can withstand a much higher temperature itself), thus ensuring 2 things.

The core product can withstand higher temps, and the core product has been subjected to these extremes, thus relieving thermal stresses, which break down windings much more quickly than environmental influences.

I need a beer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2107
MmmmMMM Beer....

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3396
Nuck, my mistake. I was under the impression that all larger toroids used in this kind of application underwent this kind of treatment. I would be very surprised if the Bryston's had not.

Nick, an alternative solution is to put a line conditioner on your cable box. Provided it's highly enough specced it won't detract 9and may even improve) the signal from the cable box and should also filter out the noise. Have a look at the PMF-6 here:

http://uk.farnell.com/roxburgh/pmf6/filter-in-line-6a/dp/1101097

Do not put the PMF-6 on your HiFi, especially your amp. I find these things ruin the timing. Why the PMF-6? Because with a 6A capability it guarantees some of the best throughput on your cable box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 321
I just thought I would share my latest experience with Bryston customer service.

I didn't get a clear response from the forum on Bryston power cords, so I went to Bryston themselves, mentioning that the power cord I got with my 3B is marked Taiwan. Well, wouldn't you know, they are FEDEXing me out a replacement power cord - free! No questions asked.

Talk about customer services. Gotta love those Canuck companies.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3401
Wow, crazy! Although it's very nice and impressive customer service, I want these companies to be around in 20 years' time. They can't make money on stuff given away for free. Of course, you'll remember this when you next go to buy something, so it could be seen as a marketing ploy, but still, it doesn't seem a way to do business, nice though it definitely is.

Silver Member

Post Number: 322
You gotta remember that the amp I have is not new, it's 13 yrs old and they're sending me a brand new to spec. cord.

Bryston doesn't spend much money on adverstising and sponsorship of sports events like some of the other big brands however they can leverage their corporate/professional sales to support the rest of their clients. And let's not forget, a good referral is one of the best ways to get more business. One of the major factors in my taking the Bryston route rather than competitors was the 20yr warranty...and they pay shipping one way. Talk about stretching for your customers. I think they'll be around for another 20yrs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2109
With about 75 percent of the Professional line Business in North America I think Bryston will be easily around for 20 more years.lol. Their sales alone in the Professional line could keep them alive. Plus power cords are dirt dirt dirt cheap. To companies like Bryston that is. Our company buys ton's of decent Power cords for super cheap. By the box load.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11184
Nick, send me 5, man.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11185
I will trade ya a car sub and amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2116
lol I will send you some man. 5 is that all? How about 10? And if you really need some power cords let me know.lol.

LOL CAR SUB and AMP? sweet!!. Car audio is where its at.....nrrrrrr

Silver Member

Post Number: 329
BOING!

O.k. got the Bryston power cord yesterday, they sent it to me overnight...did I say that Bryston is awesome!!!!!!!!

It's a 14g CSA Vector cable - can't perceive a real difference but it's nice to know I have OEM. <nick> If your cords are anything more heavy duty than 14g, could you put me on the mailing list...he,he. I'll find a way to make it up to you. Just need 2.

The biggest score is that those scratches on my 3B - were not scratches afterall...they were white paint and dirt. I got my microfibre cloth out with some homebrew vinyl fluid (90% de-mineralized water, 10% alchohol, 1 drop of dishwashing fluid) and when I rubbed at the scratches they came off...95% of them. So my 3B just went from 6/10 to what I would call 8/10, excusing the damage in the rack mounting holes - but that's what they're there for...right? I'm overjoyed. It looks great. I'll have to get pics up once of got it properly placed in my setup.

Got some Salsa music on now to appease the wife and it sounds great (she lets me turn that much louder than my jazz or 80's rock).

The 3B is really clear and transparent..that's the biggest difference. It's not louder than my Onkyo AVR (surprisingly) but tighter, snappier (PRAT), and more transparent...so definite improvements.

I'm enjoying it. Haven't tried my TT yet but I expect that to be wonderful in the midrange and bottom-end. Hope to drop some 180g vinyl on it today.

We'll to summarize, I'm enjoying the sonics, am overjoyed about it looking about 30% better (could probably seel it for a profit now but won't)and am ecstatic about Bryston service...did I say I love Bryston? If you don't have a Bryston...get one. They are a great Canadian service provider.

Cheers and happy listening.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8267
Sounds like you're realy enjoying that Bryston George...excellent!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11187
George, try some Paul Simon in the kit...best movement in music yet.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
Nuck, I've got Graceland on vinyl, so I'll try to spin it tomorrow and see how it sounds. Too busy today to relax with my TT.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2118
Good stuff George. Enjoy bud.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11192
I will find a bookstore today, George, Paul Simon released a book 'lyrics' talking about his songwriting.

But like Tim quoted here,

'Talking about music is like dancing about archetecture'.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1595
George, the MAC Tuner I have, an MR-78, was had on the cheap due to the seller posting awful pics of it on line.

I too could easily turn a profit on it but have no intention of doing so.

Note to others, if something looks suspect on an online pic ask the seller to email you additional photos. That way if it is better than advertised only you will be aware of it versus if the seller were to put the additional pics online.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11201
ok, so i will email texas...

Beware buddy, I might dro p by...

Silver Member

Post Number: 348
I'm still diggin my 3B-ST but I'm getting some hum. Most of the hum is from the amp directly but there is some very faint trace through the speakers, though this does not get increased as volume goes up, which is kind of weird but good in that as soon as the volume is turned up to even a low level, the hum can't be heard, at all.
I've tried plugging direct into a couple outlets but haven't moved the amp downstairs and tried plugging it directly into the isolated receptacle that is connected to my main panel. I can live with it easily but don't know if this is an issue. I need to try it on a clean line, I may have some dirty power issues. With the ground lift closed the hum is unacceptably loud but with the ground lift open, it is faint, as I've described. Still enjoying the sound.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2168
George, unplug all cable/satelite lines coming into any gear and I bet the hum goes away. Call Bryston and they will point you to a cheap and effective little Hum Killer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Let me try Nick and I'll let you guys know. Thanks for the tip.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us