Selecting a Receiver Help

Bronze Member
Username: Crl21

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 30
I currently have a 2 channel stereo system. I have an Arcam A65 Plus Amplifier that I love with a pair of mini monitors. It sounds great, but I recently purchased a new flat screen and would like to go to a 5 channel surround system. I purchased a used paradigm 350 center channel and plan on getting either a couple atoms or some in ceiling paradigms for my rear speakers.

Now I need to select a receiver. I have a couple of question and concerns. As the speakers can only be hooked up to one set of speakers, Is my Arcam amp done if I get a receiver, or can I set up the Arcam to run through the receiver and still get the Arcam sound?

I enjoy listening to music and I am much more critical about my music than movie sound.

Can you recommend to me a few receivers to look at? If I sell the Arcam, I'm thinking I can afford something in the $700 range. If I keep the Arcam then I'd probably look at something closer to $500. I'm thinking about buying used. I found a nice NAD T755 for $675. I liked the sound of their 2 channel amps when I auditioned my Arcam 4 or 5 years ago, but liked the Arcam a bit more. The NAD looked good, but then I started looking at the reviews and it appears that it doesn't support the newest HD surround sound standards. Is this a big deal? I really don't know much about surround sound formats. Could the receiver become obsolete as a result of this?

Music is important to me. The system will probably be used equally for music and movies, so maybe the NAD isn't a bad option. On the other hand, if I can run the Arcam through the receiver and get the Arcam sound for music I'm a lot less critical about the sound for movies. I'm starting to ramble. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3361
Hi crl21,

You can accomplish what you want to do relatively simply.

1. Leave everything plugged in as it is right now. Your 2-channel system remains as it always has, CD player playing through your A65+ into your current mini-monitors.

2. Buy a reasonable AV receiver. $500 will buy you a nice receiver which can cope with all the current formats such as the Onkyo TX-SR606 or the new Denon AVR1909.

3. Connect the centre, rears and sub to the AV receiver.

4. Plug the Preamp outputs of the AV receiver into one of the inputs of the A65+. Use a standard ordinary interconnect. The AV receiver will be a source to the A65+ which will act as its power amp.

5. Set the A65+ volume level to a high value, higher than you would usually use - I usually suggestthat half way around should do since that makes it 12 o'clock on the dial and easily remembered.

6. Go through the setup procedure of the AV receiver.

7. Attach a DVD or blu-ray player to the AV receiver. If you use a DVD player, then use a coax connection as the better audio connection, otherwise use the optical option. If you use a blu-ray player, use the HDMI connection for best quality sound capability. Ensure the blu-ray player is setup to output the right format audio in order to take full advantage of blu-ray's high resolution audio codecs. DVDs played on a blu-ray machine should come through with the usual Dolby Digital and DTS codecs.

8. Ensure the inputs are set correctly on the AV receiver. For example, mostreceivers do not have the HDMI inputs set as the default because not that many people use them.

9. Play a movie.

All you have to do when you want to play 2-channel is to REMEMBER TO TURN DOWN THE VOLUME. If you've been playing a movie and then go to play a CD, then changind to CD on the A65+ will blast you with sound. So long as you remember to turn it down after playing a movie, and you remember to turn it up (and over to that input) when you want to play a movie, you'll not have any problems.

Regards,
Frank.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 31
Thanks Frank. That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll likely get that Onkyo that you recommended and I'll be good to go. I'm glad to hear that I can continue using my Arcam. If I remember correctly, you gave me some good advice when I purchased that 2 channel system several years ago. I've been extremely happy with it. Tahnks.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3362
Oh, I'm the guilty party am I? :-) Good luck and enjoy!

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 32
Unfortunately, the 606 doesn't have a pre-out. It looks like I'll have to step up to the 706 or go with the Yamaha RX V663 or the Denon. Any opinions on these three?

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8154
I like the Yammy better than the Denon..however you will get as many opinions on that as there are folks here to give 'em.

I've owned AVR's by Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, NAD, and Rotel and my favorites have been Marantz, Yamaha, and Rotel (and this actually don't mean squat as your mileage may vary). Rotel for ability to do music better than the average AVR and the Yamaha and Marantz for the movie experience. I've owned my present Yamaha RX-V657 longer than any AVR I've ever owned..keep in mind that it's for movies only and it does a fabulous job considering the modest outlay I gave for it.

BTW I used to have my setup exactly as Frank described above. In fact I used to have a similar description that I used for newbies here until I switched computers and lost it. I have been able to separate them out now which is obviously preferable...but the other worked well for years.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1378
Or do what I did when I bought a 5.1 receiver for the HT system: put your older amp into the bedroom as a second set with your smaller speakers, they should do great. Lately I also put in a squeezebox that connects to all my CD's burned lossless into my PC. It also gives me access to thousands of internet channels as well as local and international radio. This way I don't have to shuttle back and forth to get a particular CD to play.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3366
My apologies crl21, I didn't realise the 606 missed out that functionality! It looks to me that the Denon doesn't have them either, so you may have to go a bit further to accomplish what you want.

Stof, the AV receiver is unlikely to reproduce music as well as a dedicated stereo amplifier, especially one as good as the A65+.

Frank.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1381
I never implied that it did. I simply suggested that he can move the old system into his bedroom if that works for him for listening.

At least in my case with kids running around, I found listening to music in the living room did not make a lot of sense.

Bronze Member

Ann Arbor, Michigan USA

Post Number: 33
Thanks for the advice guys. I may eventually move the A65+, but I can't spring for anymore speakers now. Thanks for the input on the receivers Stof.

I've been looking at the Yamaha receivers, but it looks like I'd have to go up to the RX-V863 to get 3 hdmi inputs. That's a bit too rich for me right now. The Onkyo 706 has the 3 hdmi inputs. That's not a deal breaker just a convenience issue. Ultimately the sound is most important. To get the pre-outs, I'd have to go with the RX-V663.

I think I've narrowed it down to the RX-V663 and the Onkyo 706 or the Denon 1908 or 1909. With the Denon, will the "ext in." do the same thing as a "pre-out" on the other two brands for setting up my A65+? Have any of you experienced the Audyssey Dynamic Volume . It's not a big deal to me, but my wife hates how the commercials are always so loud. Ultimately, the sound matters most, but these little things make a difference on the margin. Thanks.

Gold Member

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3371
No, the ext.in. is a multichannel input which allows you to take the analogue output of a multichannel source. It's an input not an output, which is what you need. The 1909 will not do what you need.

Username: 519sledr

Post Number: 4
Frank,
Just so I understand you correctly, does the pre out of the AV receiver get connected to the "main in" on the 2 channel? Or do you connect it to any free input like you describe? I have a vintage NAD7100X that I would like to keep for 2 channel audio.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us