Need Help Deciding

Username: Lexa

Post Number: 1
So here is the dilemma guys-- I am looking into buying my first receiver... yes, I still rely on puny TV speakers. Problem is, I don't have speakers yet either, so I want to make every dollar count. (FYI speakers-I will most likely buy Aperion). SO... receiver-- I want something that will serve me for a while.. so probably True HD / DTS-HD Master audio are a must. Will be used for music/video/games in equal proportions. Need to have good HDMI upconversion, S video and component inputs (why the hell Wii uses that prehistoric format beats me). Anyway receivers I was concedering are:
Marantz SR5003
Denon AVR 2309Ci
Yamaha RXV863
Yamaha RXV1800
Pioneer Elite VSX 1018AHK

Looked at Onkyo in the beginning, but several people mentioned that those things are power hogs and overheat all the time, so Onkyo is no longer on the list. Wish I could afford Integra... but trying to stay under that price point. So what is the best bet?
Thanks ahead

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8150
The Marantz SR5003 is a killer AVR and I also like the Yamaha RX-V1800. Both sound good and completely different, auditioning seems a good idea if possible.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 505
Any chance to go out and audition any or all of these units? They will all work well for you (and so would a Onkyo BTW) but there will be a lot of personal preferences that only you can decide on. Things like sound obviously but there are issues like look and feel that have a lot to do with how enjoyable the ownership experience will be. The major question is do the controls (ESPECIALLY the remote control) make sense to you.

Power hogs and overheat all the time??? Onkyo???? News to me! I know speakers can be power hogs and if you put stuff on top of any amplifier or put it in too small a space and crank it up it will overheat but personally I have yet to hear of that concern.

Either way enjoy the shopping and be cautious of those rendering advise (like me for instance)!!!

Post Number: 2
Yes, I am trying to carve out some time to go to listen to all of those.
As far as feel, I keep hearing that Denon set up is a pain. Any first hand knowledge on that here?

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 506
Denon seems to have taken the approach that menus are better than buttons. This means that, yes they can be a bit more involved to set up but then could potentially be easier to use.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1543
I've messed with Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo. There all relatively the same for set up and it is fairly intuitive. For the money I would go with the Onkyo.

Really the best thing to do is go listen for yourself to what sounds best to you.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1379
The reason the Wii sticks to the old component and S-video connection is because it has no high end graphics to push through and besides it is more available worldwide.

Besides how would they ever get you to upgrade if they gave you everything first time around?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3367
The Wii does not have s-video. It has composite out of the box and options are available for RGB and component.

Component is actually a pretty high quality (if not high definition) signal which has the capability to provide really rather convincing graphics.

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1382
Oh, no S-video? I haven't looked back there in a while.

Either way the best it produces is 480p so HDMI is an overkill.

It's good graphics. It's just does not compare to PS3 or Xbox.

Post Number: 3
So I am liking Denon 1909 these days, especially because the price at which I can get it, will allow me to pick up good speakers for it. Question is which ones-- I heard KEF IQ9s with a different Denon recently and it sounded like crap. Any recommendations? Or is it a Denon's fault?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3372
There are many options in this world, all different, so you need to hear what's available in your area and make a decision on the particular flavour you prefer.

It could be that the KEF/Denon combination really is crap, or that you just didn't much like what you heard (which remains crap from your point of view but isn't necessarily crap in the grand scheme of things). It's not likely to be because of the Denon or KEFs - it's more likely to be what you don't like.

One thing to note is that some people find it easier to discern sounds by just playing stereo music, no surround or anything. Typically, the system which does music better is likely to do surround better.

Things to look at include: Focal's Chorus 700V series, B&W 68x series, Monitor Audio's BR series, possibly Totem's dreamcatcher package.

Don't try for a more expensive speaker package because you'll put more stress on the receiver to deliver power to those speakers (again typically, there are exceptions).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us