Problems with sound on a Fisher TAD-9415 Stereo

Username: Hivoltg30

WA USA

Post Number: 1
I recently "inherited" a Fisher TAD-9415 stereo system from my folks.
They bought it brand new, and very rarely used it. (Mom played the radio and sometimes CD's and dad always yelled turn that d*mn thing off!) So they gave it too me.

I set it up, and have used it for about a year now, and it's a very nice system.
But about 2 months ago, the tower speaker on the right side quit producing sound.
I did the obvious, checked the terminal connections, everything was good (I never move the thing anyways) and I hooked that speaker (and its wire) up to the left side terminals and it worked just fine...
Nothing that I have tried since has produced sound from the right side.

My next step appears to be pulling the housing off and poking around inside...
Anyone have suggestions on where to look first and most importantly, what to look for?

Thanks

Upload
Upload
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11096
Robert, 'poking' around inside is a good way to find a fully charged capacitor that can curl your toes.
The back panel probably states 'no user serviceable parts inside'.

If you do not own a meter, or do not understand the functions of one, might I suggest that you take the unit to a high school or college and let the electronic students have a go at repairs?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13094

One of my favorite but now defunct web sites was titled, "Experiments in Electrocution". It was all about poking around inside components.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11100
Long story short, if you do not know what uF stands for and cannot measure it, don't go inside the thing...anything.

BTW, capacitors are painted to keep the smoke inside.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1730
Sounds like an interesting website Jan. Too bad it's defunct.

The last time I opened on my Brystons I took your advice and kept one of my hands in my pocket, being super-paranoid the entire time.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 501
Not to encourage anyone to crack open the case of a receiver or anything but the real fun lies in the back of a CRT!!! The fun that awaits you there would leave a mark on the pocket in which your hand was in!!!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1732
Sounds kinda crazy. I like to live on the edge, but electrocuting myself is not high up on my list of things to do.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13097
"Not to encourage anyone to crack open the case of a receiver or anything but the real fun lies in the back of a CRT!!!"

I was always told that's why they call those things "fly back" transformers. When you finally hit the wall, you'll either be dead or realize you shoudn't have stuck what's left of your hand in there in the first place.

For all you would be adventurists out there, the other dumb mistake people make is to leave rings on their fingers or gold chains on their neck when they bend over to look closely at that live capacitor or stick that one hand into a power supply.

This stuff kills, folks. Be careful out there.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11111
Old tv's used to go to the curb on junk day. Then the price of precious metals went up, and treasure hunters used to whack the back of curbside crt's for the contents.
2 guys bought it in one junk weekend at somebody's curbs.

One mans junk is another man's deader.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11112
Hey my odometer rolled over all 11111's!

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13101

So did mine! All 3's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us