U.K. Brands - Audiolab and Castle

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 284
I was in at my dealer the other day asking him what he would recommend for a $3000 2-ch setup. He came up with the recommendation of the Audiolab 8000S integrated, Audiolab 8000CDE and the Castel Conway III floorstanders. He's getting the package in a couple of weeks for me to audition.
These were U.K. brands that were bought out by IAG, a Chinese Parent Company that owns Mission and Wharfdale, as well. From what I've read, this combination would result in a sound that is neutral but leaning toward the warmer side. If anything the Conway's will sound full, if not a little heavy in the bass area.
Anyone have any experience with these brands? Frank - thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3096
Last I knew, Castle went out of business about 2 years ago. Maybe IAG bought the name afterward and kept enigneers on? Maybe they just bought the name. It should be interesting to find out what is going on with them.

The reason why I mention this is because if you're basing anything on Castle's former reputation, it may not be applicable.

Silver Member

Post Number: 286
Yeah Stu, I read that Castle disappeared but its back. Since the company produced Mission and Wharfedale, I would think the engineering as quality is pretty solid. I'll wait to hear for myself but I don't expect them to take my mind of the Totem Hawks.

The problem with the Audiolab is that is doesn't have a MM/MC stage, so I'd have to get an external, which is not where I want to go.

I don't expect to buy but was just curious, as usual.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 198
The original Castle Conway 3 speakers, that were designed and manufactored in the UK.....by the original Castle Acoustics company; was not at all shy or weak in the bass frequencies.

In fact, depending on the size of one's room, the bass could be a bit overwhelming. Strong bass.

Wonderful speakers!!

Then original Conway 3 incorporates/utilizies a tuneable down-firing port relex system; which works beautifully.

Kind of like the down-firing port relex system used by Alain Courteau, for his Revelation Audio and Odyssey Audio speakers. Not identicalo of course, but similar in many ways.

As for the IAG versions of Castle Speakers, I've heard some very disappointing comments on them.

Could be IAG is struggling to wrap their heads around the Castle Acoustics design concept. Either that, or they had a few bad runs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
Good to know, sad to hear. Thanks for your input NMyTree. Yes, everyting I've read, which is not much, is that these speakers provide a very full sound if not too much bass. I haven't heard that Mission and Wharfdale have been suffering with IAG ownership...too bad for Castle. I'll still look into auditioning with my dealer. Now the question is whether they would work well with my Bryston 3B-ST

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3373
George,

I did not know that Castle had been bought by IAG. News to me. If the cabinetry is anything like as good as old Castles were, then the fit and finish will be superb. Unfortunately I am not a fan of Castle speakers which always looked fabulous but had too much warmth and bass for my liking. Traditionally Castles were not that difficult to drive so I'd expect your Bryston to drive them well.

The Audiolab amp is a nice amplifier that does a reasonable job. I think you will limit your options significantly if you insist on an internal phono stage in future. Very few manufacturers do this nowadays for both commercial and technical reasons.

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
Frank, have you hear about pairing an Audiolab pre. with a Bryston, say a 3B-ST? Just a thought, though I'm leaning towards staying Bryston now.

Silver Member
Username: Nmytree

Post Number: 199
George, I have the Wharfedale Opus 2 (for over four years, now ) and they are excellent speakers.

I have also owned several of other Wharfedale Evo series speakers and they were good speakers.

So IAG does know what they are doing. I'm just guessing the Castle Acoustics brand is something they will need to work on and develope some more.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8201
Hey George, hate to throw more indecision your way but have you heard DeVore Fidelity speakers? There ain't a Totem made that I would prefer to any Devore speaker...just my preference but you owe it to yourself to find a place to hear them. They are easy to drive and sound as perfect and neutral as anything I've heard at any price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 312
So Art. I can sense you're entertaining the idea of a change yourself. From your comments, you Totem's are no comparison and I would be interested to know how you feel your Rega's stand up to the DeVore's.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8204
Well to start with the DeVore's I've heard start at $4500 and my Rega's retail for $1400. They really don't stand up to the DeVore's. However they have a very similar presentation but with all that could be improved with the Rega's realized. No cabinet resonance...outstanding tweeter without a hint of grain. Low end that is tight, tuneful and extended.

I will consider a speaker change after I pay off my car year after next but with a $4500 price tag for the Super 8's it ain't happening now. The 8's which are a very nice speaker start at 3K but I'm holding out for the Super 8's (maybe...lol!).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us