New P3-24 Yippie!

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8081
Just sold my sexy little Ferrari red MH 2.2 LE and ordered a beautifully bland P3-24 with a sexy Ferrari red Dynavector 10x5. TT/PSU to come next spring or summer if I feel I need it.

Very excited to put a Rega back inro the system!

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto ..., Ontario Canada

Post Number: 271
That's one dynamite TT Art, from all I've read. It's the step into the big boys of TT, and we all know what those can run you. I would expect with a decent album on vinyl that it will leave your CDP in the dust. And now it's a full Rega source and amp to speakers. Nice!
It's interresting you've stepped up because I think it was within the last 6 months or so that you thought of retiring the vinyl system altogether and going with just CD.
Good for you - vinyl really displays that passion of audiophiles.
When do you get the TT? Did you just trade-in the MH or did you find a good home for it?

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
Hey Art, is this where you started getting the bug for the P3-24, back in February?

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/452149.html

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8084
No, George I really never wanted to get rid of my P5 however I didn't buy it from my local dealer and didn't feel right about buying from a big national chain...bad juju and all that stuff. So I'm really just heading back home to Rega.

I did find a good home for the MH out in Conneticut. I packed it real well and shipped it today. I think the new owner will enjoy it. I wouldn't mind having a used P2 or P3 2000 for my second system someday but first I must finish the first system. The TT/PSU this next year and maybe the vdH Mainstream power cord for my amp.

Then the HT needs some attention...perhaps some more Totems in the system and a top notch AVR for a command center....year after next perhaps.

I should have the P3-24 by the end of next week...in time for a vinyl Thanksgiving (is that like Tofurky)!

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2083
Congrats on the fantastic TT Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8086
Thanks Nick...I'm like a kid at Xmas...very excited!

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 11085
It is gonna be great Art!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8088
Can't wait...but I must...dagnabbit!

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
That P3-24 is going to bring out all the sweetness, warmth and detail in those quality vinyl pressings (serenity) but I'm sure it's also going to show you which one's need some extra care and attention i.e. cleaning...oh, back to that old debate.
I've heard that the P3-24 will give you near everything there is to be heard off those vinyl disks. Can you share what you expect the Dynavector cartridge is going to bring to the mix?
I expect lots of 180 to 200 gram vinyl will be especially rewarding. Art, do you have much of that high grade vinyl in you collection yet?
Oh, I'm soooo excited for you. The combination with the Rega gear and the Totems...'smack my lips'.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8091
Not much high grade vinyl. Just garage sale and second hand pickups from record store. The Dynavector (which I had on my P5) brings reduced surface noise, great tracking, excellent bass and sweet timbre. Just a more refined sound than you get from the Rega cartrtdges.

Oh and I've gone back to using my Rega R5 speakers in the main system...very good!

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 340
Art, very exciting. I'll be interested in your thoughts as to how you feel it compares to your former P5. Still lookin' at Rega if the right table comes along.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8120
I will definitely post impressions here.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3331
Congratulations Art. Enjoy the running in...:-) I hope you ordered a 2mm 3-hole spacer.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8142
Sure did Frank...thanks!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8166
P3-24 in da haus...sounding fabulous.

HUGE THANKS to Chris and Dale Shepherd of Eugene HiFi...these guys went way out of their way to get this table to me fast and at my convenience and at a more than fair price. Can't say enough about them. Table sounds absolutely great...no need for any better table for me...TT/PSU this coming summer should complete the analog rig.

I heard some unbelievable gear while I was at the boys place today more on that later...Devore Fidelity Nines...holy cow!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11129
Atta boy Art! Keep us apprised of the west coast gig.
Damn, a good place for hifi!

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 377
Exceptional customer service is the most cost-effective advertising a business can do.

Very cool Art.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8197
Just to kind of give an answer to a question Nuck was asked by Mike about his new analog rig....this P3-24 eats the Apollo for lunch...when I add the TT/PSU this coming summer it I'll get that last little bit of goodie from the table/cartridge at least with the phono stage that I'm using. Next step after that will be going for the Gibbon Super 8's. That's a couple of years down the road.

I love the Apollo and I do most of my listening with it but with a good clean record the analog rig just sounds fab. More 3 dimensional soundstage, better imaging, better timbre, more palpable bass...it just gets music right.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11140
Hard to disagre Art.
My sand stuff is the biggest difference, the table is very capable, just running right now.

I will have the analog running true enough, but I have no fears as to how it will turn out.

The table is happy and stable, in fact I drew the bass into line with a twist of the body spike.

It's fun without the hedge of a lawsuit from Slinky!

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1562
Glad both of you are enjoying new found (re-found) joys of vinyl.

My TT generally sounds better than anything else I source from too.

Bronze Member
Username: Dudywoxer

ScunthorpeUK

Post Number: 74
Art,
before you get the TT/PSU have a think about the Groovetracer subplatter. Although I use a P25, and therefore had to buy a alternate PSU (Project speedbox SE) I feel that the groovetracer brought more to the sound than the PSU did. I'm not saying that the PSU is not a good idea, but I think I would do subplatter first.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8464
Thanks for the comments Colin. I've thought long and hard about the many mods their are out there for the P3 (P3, P5 and now P3-24) and have decided to stay with the stock unit as this is the way Rega designed it and that's good for me. Thanks for the suggestion though as it is a good one.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11273
It is indeed a worthy upgrade. I agree Art, that the P3-24 setup is solid and doesn't need fiddlin' with.

Silver Member

Post Number: 432
A ceramic platter? Just kidding. That's a whole 'nother ball of wax...or should that be ball of vinyl?

Art, you've got a more than sweet setup and it's purebread except for the cartrige but you can consider that your rider and change it when it gets tired.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11296
Art, where is your 10x5?

A natural fit with only one shim on the arm. Jes wonnerin'

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8485
Check the first post of the thread Mr Nuck...it's on the P3-24...makin' it happen in 3D.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11303
Missed it, man.
The cart is tough and does everything that I need and then some.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8486
Yeah I love the 10x5 it's a great bargain.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3123
I love my 10x5. Its become a no-brainer recommendation. Art Dudley (Stereophile) hit the nail on the head when he said "Wildly, highly recommended."

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 8492
Indeed!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us